Cracked rear hub on 2018 EC300

2smokehaze

Hey guys,
Just a heads up. I noticed slight play in my rear wheel after loading up the bike to go for a ride. Thought it was strange since the bike only has 70 hours of easy trail riding and never blasted the hubs with a pressure washer.

I found a crack on my rear hub (brake disc side) that has been letting water in and flogged out the bearing. It was full of rust, even the spring in the oil seal was pure rust. While staring at the hub face I notice one side was thicker then the other so it had been machined for the bearings and oil seal off-center. The crack developing on the thinnest part obviously.

Please check your hubs around the oil seal for cracks. Not sure if the off center machining on mine is a one off Monday morning or Friday afternoon job but check it out anyways. I wish I noticed it while I still had warranty.

It's my first time posting and have no idea how to post pics.

Sorry for the late reply.
Yeah big pain in the butt. I ended up getting it welded up for now. Having trouble finding an aftermarket hub for a decent price.
Its visible while still on the bike. Just spin the rear wheel while looking at the hub seal. I can email pics if you like or sms them to ya if you're in Australia

I have a new oem (pre 2018) hub complete with bearings and inner spacers that I would sale for $150 plus shipping but you might have to swap out the spacers to make it work on 2018/2019 bike. This is probably the same hub but it will have a different part number because it is black. I could mount it on my lathe and sand and polish it smooth for another $25. This hub has never been laced up to a wheel.

Sorry for the late reply.
Yeah big pain in the butt. I ended up getting it welded up for now. Having trouble finding an aftermarket hub for a decent price.
Its visible while still on the bike. Just spin the rear wheel while looking at the hub seal. I can email pics if you like or sms them to ya if you're in Australia

I'll send you my e-mail addy via PN. Please send me the pics.

Ta Doc

2smokehaze sent me the pics.

38037630qj.jpg

38037631oa.jpg

38037629mv.jpg

I have a new oem (pre 2018) hub complete with bearings and inner spacers that I would sale for $150 plus shipping but you might have to swap out the spacers to make it work on 2018/2019 bike. This is probably the same hub but it will have a different part number because it is black. I could mount it on my lathe and sand and polish it smooth for another $25. This hub has never been laced up to a wheel.

I got mine welded up for now, I'm gonna see how it holds up. Thank you very much for the offer.

Mine is the same(2.5mm at top, 3.5mm at the bottom of hub) but not cracked after 260+ hours of logs & rocks. Will be keeping an eye on it.

Mines all good. Just shitty bearings and seals let go early. I?ll be putting some quality Japanese ones in and packing the hub full of grease.

Mines all good. Just shitty bearings and seals let go early. I?ll be putting some quality Japanese ones in and packing the hub full of grease.

Got 195 hours outta my rears Nate. Fronts still going! Picked & packed from new & fill behind seals every tyre change.

Got 195 hours outta my rears Nate. Fronts still going! Picked & packed from new & fill behind seals every tyre change.

Yeah I definitely did not! Fronts are still sweet. I must have missed packing them. They were pretty dry. I have packed the linkage, swing arm and steering bearings. They are still sweet. I am just about finished my studying so I will have heaps more time for mid weekend and I can start catching up to you and Nocams!

Better hurry up matey!
I?ve been a little slack lately,only racked up 362 hrs so far.
Believe it or not, still original wheel bearings front and rear.
Catch up soon. Sneaky mid weeky?

Better hurry up matey!

I am free on Sunday, thinking Christian might want to christen the beta down some big rock steps?

Better hurry up matey!
362 Hrs - That's wild Nocams!
How many top-ends have you done so far. Same cylinder? C piston yet?
I only 110 hrs on the Gasser, but sharing my ride hours with the 350.

Better hurry up matey!

Must be dry as a nuns down your way!

I tend to go through rotors, chains, front sprockets, and .... wheel bearings ... frequently. Riding in grinding paste has that effect.

My latest set have lasted years with no wear though! This new bike even still looks like new! Poached some 2T to top up the briggs and Stratton this arv too! Top bike!

Very good true Jake, I do avoid mud holes and the like but she never gets pampered in the bush.

New top end every 85-100 hrs is what I?ve always done with this and previous gg?s.

Sold my 2010 to a fella back in 2015 with just over 700hrs, hadn?t needed a bottom end either. He racked up some more hrs over the years.

Saw it for sale on scumtree not so long ago. That was a fantastic machine!

I leave the engine idling overnight mate!

Great way to clock them hours up.

After today,now at 371 hrs. Yeehah!

Back