Cycra Pro Bends on stock bars

CombatYoga

Gold Level Site Supporter
I took about three quarters of an inch off of each side of my handlebars to narrow things down a bit.

I have Cycra Pro Bends guards that were installed by my dealer.

The bolts that went into the ends of the handguards screwed into some threaded plastic piece. They were very secure.

When I trimmed the bars, there essentially wasn't any of this plastic to screw into left.

I know I can buy the expanding plugs that go inside the bars, and that's what I'm planning on doing, but that won't be as secure as what was there before.

What gives? Were the threaded plastic pieces inside the bar ends something installed by my dealer? Or are they stock on GasGas bars?
Bike is a 2014 XC300R.

Thanks,

I just ran into this on my new 14. The stock bars are twin wall, the ID of the ends are too small for expanding plugs. The insert you saw is the solution, an aftermarket piece installed by your dealer to mount the Pro-bends. I have never used one of these inserts, but possibly it can be removed and re-used?

I considered tapping the ID of the stock bars, but in the end I just put on Fatbars in my favorite bend on the bike so I could use the hardware supplied with my guards and get it done.

I just installed these too, running into many issues. I used a 1/2" bit and bored out the bars out just a bit. There was plenty of room. Once I bored it large enough, the slide plug/screw slid in just fine. Another issue I ran into was the angle of the shift lever. I had to bend my left guard bar out about 1/4" to get proper clearance. Once I figured out how to make it work, it wasnt bad. The CRM on the left side is slightly further towards the bend of the bar, but it was the only way I could make it work. It seems fine and looks ok, but I think ill order some fatbars shortly. Stock bars im not too fond of anyhow.

Attachments

• IMAG0256.jpg
    IMAG0256.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMAG0257.jpg
    IMAG0257.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 30
Follow-up to this thread...

+1 on using a 1/2" drill bit to bore out the end of the stock twinwall bars.
With a little work, the Cycra expanding plugs will fit right in.

I also checked G2 and there is an option to select twinwalls for those type of mounts as well.

I just use a 17/32 drill bit to open up the ends of the bars. Obviously you don't want to do this with the throttle assembly on the bar. I was just about to bolt on some hand guards, so I stuck the drill bit in the bar end to use as an example.

17-32%20drill%20bit.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back