Devils Backbone area (Entiat)

jostby

Spent a few days with the kid checking out a new riding area. We camped at a nice forest servie campground 28 miles up the Entiat River. The trail is accessed right from camp with close to 200 miles single track available after Late July (some was still closed for us). Saw a cougar, mule deer, and all other types of wildlife. A pretty nice area all in all. I only have a few pics as it's hard to take them when you're riding and we didn't stop often. If vertigo doesn't bother you then you may like it here. Hope you all like the pics.

heading towards Angle Peak on trl 1445 (my son Wes)
3741032776_5cbf1f8054.jpg

we parked our bikes at the top of this steep downhill and walked it not knowing if we should continue (Devils Ridge)
3740257393_c8bc02c915.jpg

looking back at the corner that leads up to were we parked our bikes
3741054992_f5dfb26b15.jpg

Looking back at Devils Ridge. It was amazing up here!
3740287543_622e9044b4.jpg

nice pics ..
anyone know what kind of treadway material was used in that uphill shot pic?? we could use some of that stuff in my area!!

Thanks for the memories. I was on that exact trail with the interlock paving stones many years ago with Lyle duranso as trail boss.Sure looks like the burn did lots of damage.Dont know if its true but I was told at that time that certain guest workers from south of the border along with copters were used to build the trails with the interlocks.

I know the "too busy riding to take pics" story all too well, but I do appreciate those who share their experiences via pics. Looks like a great spot.

anyone know what kind of treadway material was used in that uphill shot pic?? we could use some of that stuff in my area!!

Those look like some kinda concrete "pervious paving" blocks. A search on pervious or porous paving turns up tons of stuff. No idea on cost, but this stuff looks very interesting.

For Speedy, and anyone else interested, the NMA website has some info on the area, which is actually four "different" systems that intersect: Devils Backbone, Entiat, Chickamin, and Mad River. For brief descriptions and location maps, look here
http://www.nmaoffroad.org/orvtrail.htm#anchor5181074
These are great trails, their worst feature is generally underuse/overgrowth. The area has frequent lightning caused fires due to it's location, and the different burn zones are kind of fascinating to ride through; it's an education in forest regrowth as you ride. Highly reccommended.
Washington State used to put out a great trail map package with full topo maps that had the trails graded by difficulty (kind of relative to the areas on that particular map). I might be persuaded to scan those maps and post them, but not for another week or so; I'm thrashing full time to get bikes ready for vacation next week to the currently-on-fire Gifford Pinchot National Forest (assuming the fires don't get too much worse than they are right now).

Tim H

Thanks Jostby. I live in Cashmere and have the Devil's Gulch, Mission Ridge and Tronson Ridge trails right behind me. I've road the Mad Lake and Two Lakes trails and a bunch of others in this area. I guess they opened up the Mad Lake trails two weeks ago, so some good riding is to be had now. So did U start your Devil's Backbone ride just north of Fox Creek Campground? How technical is the ride? Thanks, Bob.

So did U start your Devil's Backbone ride just north of Fox Creek Campground? How technical is the ride? Thanks, Bob.

We camped at Lake Cr campground, just up from Fox Cr. You could ride out of the cg to access either the Mad River side or the Devils Backbone side. We initially took the Lake Cr trail (1443) to 1445 going to Angle Peak. I'm going to admit here that it ended up scaring the bejesus out of us and we ended up turning around (see the picture where my kid is on the bike on the bike) The picture makes it look pretty tame. We ended up going back to 1443 Lake Cr Trail and went to the trailhead were it intersects with 1448 and 1265 (25 mile Cr Trail). 1265 was what we were after but it was still closed for rebuild from 2 years ago (??) so we took 1448 to Angle Peak and the Devils Backbone. Here's a trail map.. http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/maps/mad-chiwawa-chelan-map.pdf We only did about 1/2 of Devils Backbone as by that point we were running low on fuel and it was our last day there. Lake Cr Trail and 1448 are pretty easy. Devils Backbone has a pucker factor but the trail was in real good shape. We'll never drop off of Tyee Ridge towards Mad river again though. Steep uphill/downhill (depending on which way you're going) so many switchbacks I couldn't keep count and all on extremely steep scree type slopes. Also the Forest Service has signs saying that the quit maintaning the Lower Mad River Trail. It was pretty obvious they quit maintaining the lower 1/2 of both trails 1413 and 1416 also.

Here's an interesting observation about our fuel usage. I am well over 300lbs geared up and the kid is about 230. We both ride 250's, his a EC, mine the XC. I had the RBD head mod done and have LTR jetting and power valve cover. His is stock.
The first day out he ran out of gas (right at 40 miles) while I still had not hit reserve. I know riding style has a lot to do with this but with my extra weight (and throttle needed to haul it around) I was very surprised. Everyone always said the head mod made a big differance on mileage.

Nice pics jostby. Yep, you hit the trail jackpot out there. Good work!

PEB - dunno if you climbed the Duncan from the bottom and did all the swtichbacks but I know it can be a little chewy up top. Short work on a trials bike, all the power to you for doing it on the enduro.

Flybars, I see you're still around and riding. I traded a bunch of mail with you a couple years back... remember the me talking about the 'lemon' 450FSE at Condotta's?

We camped at Lake Cr campground, just up from Fox Cr. You could ride out of the cg to access either the Mad River side or the Devils Backbone side. We initially took the Lake Cr trail (1443) to 1445 going to Angle Peak. I'm going to admit here that it ended up scaring the bejesus out of us and we ended up turning around (see the picture where my kid is on the bike on the bike) The picture makes it look pretty tame. We ended up going back to 1443 Lake Cr Trail and went to the trailhead were it intersects with 1448 and 1265 (25 mile Cr Trail). 1265 was what we were after but it was still closed for rebuild from 2 years ago (??) so we took 1448 to Angle Peak and the Devils Backbone. Here's a trail map.. http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/maps/mad-chiwawa-chelan-map.pdf We only did about 1/2 of Devils Backbone as by that point we were running low on fuel and it was our last day there. Lake Cr Trail and 1448 are pretty easy. Devils Backbone has a pucker factor but the trail was in real good shape. We'll never drop off of Tyee Ridge towards Mad river again though. Steep uphill/downhill (depending on which way you're going) so many switchbacks I couldn't keep count and all on extremely steep scree type slopes. Also the Forest Service has signs saying that the quit maintaning the Lower Mad River Trail. It was pretty obvious they quit maintaining the lower 1/2 of both trails 1413 and 1416 also.

Here's an interesting observation about our fuel usage. I am well over 300lbs geared up and the kid is about 230. We both ride 250's, his a EC, mine the XC. I had the RBD head mod done and have LTR jetting and power valve cover. His is stock.
The first day out he ran out of gas (right at 40 miles) while I still had not hit reserve. I know riding style has a lot to do with this but with my extra weight (and throttle needed to haul it around) I was very surprised. Everyone always said the head mod made a big differance on mileage.

Can you provide more information about what the RBD head mod is? I am familiar with LTR items but disappointed he isn't going to make the jet needles any longer.

Greg

search the forum for "squish". Ron (RBD) machines the head to make what is considered the "perfect dome" for combustion. I think that is a good way to put it. It is reasonably inexpensive, around $75 I think plus shipping. I already had the LTR kit but the head mod complemented it (or vice-versa). Others here that have had it done also claim as I did that it noticeably increased mileage too. Ron does a carb mod (I haven't had that done as I don't need any more power) and I think he has developed a jet kit also. Call him, he's a great guy. Find his link on the GGRC home page.

Thanks for the info Jeff. That's great to hear about RB's gas saving squish mod. I've been looking at GG 250's and 300's lately. I would think the lighter 2strokes would be easier to handle on those swithbacks. Bob.

Hi Ned. Good to hear from U. I sold my '05 ec450 and am looking for a 250 or a 300 gg as we speak. I would think a heavy flywheel and an auto clutch would help my transition from 4 stokes to 2 strokes. I sure like the lighter weight, more flickability aspect. Bob.
Saturday we're gonna ride Sandy Creek/Delvils Gulch/Mission Ridge Trails or we might ride the Mad Lake Trails via Maverick Saddle Trail Head. I'm still riding my old trusty XR440.

Back