Different Throttle Springs??

stvbird

Hey all,
I've got an 07 EC250 that I got second hand that was raced in the AMA National Enduros last year (by someone way faster than me....and you probably :-) ) so it has been tweaked here and there so not sure what all has been messed with. Anyway, the throttle spring seems really stiff. It's not a cable problem, it really feels like spring tension. It's stiff compared to several other GG's in the area, and way stiff compared to my KTM and contributes to early arm pump on the throttle side (I know, I should be in better shape).

Anyway, are there different throttle spring tensions that someone riding at a pro level may have swapped in for preference?

It is quite possible. I bought a new spring and put it in last night and it was quite softer now then befor. You can buy one for cheap from any of your local dealers. Just get one for a PWK carb.

Do you have the white plastic cable retainer seated correctly? If not the throttle will feel stiff and rough.

I believe they are talking about the hose guard that the bikes come with, its a spring over the fuel line to protect the fuel line..

It's the spring between the carb cap and the slide that puts tension on the throttle cable.

I believe they are talking about the hose guard that the bikes come with, its a spring over the fuel line to protect the fuel line..
Got it. That could be substituted over the slide ? Huh.
Speaking of lighter springs...do you think they would (slightly) increase the chance of a stuck throttle ?

IME with Keihn PWKs a stuck throttle is the result of either dirt inside the carburetor, a worn out carb body (from dirt getting between the slide and carb body) or the plastic throttle cable retainer not being seated correctly.

I tried it and it worked great! Made all the difference and saved me some arm pump on the Baby Burr in Ohio this weekend. I always wondered what that spring was doing on the fuel line. Made me fall in love with the Gasser all over again, then again that happens every time I ride it ;-)

Thanks!

Here is another option!

When I bought my W.E.C. bike I noticed the throttle was way easier to twist vs. my 04 300. One day I took the carb apart to re-jet. Upon looking at the throttle spring I noticed that the gas gas mechanic for Nambotin had actually cut a small portion of the spring off. This in turn made the throttle pull a bit softer than the normal length spring.

So you could always cut small portions of the spring out until you find that desired "Sweet" spot.

Back