Draining the Carb

12Bravo

99' EC200

Wanting to change all the fluids except the coolant, it looks really good, like it was just changed. Changed the gear oil, man that crap that was in it was black and gray! The magnetic plug had metal on it, so I am now a little concerned the motor will need a rebuild soon, ggrrrrr......any who.

Do I need to take the carb off to drain it? Or can I drain it on the bike? I want to start with fresh, my mixture gas and see how it goes.

Thanks

don't know about the older 200 but my 300 has a 17mm drain plug that i can (just) remove with out taking the carb off

my oil drain plug magnet always has metal "hairs" on it, how chunky is the metal you are finding?

Metal on the drain plug is likely only small particles from the gears. Usually not a problem unless the pieces are large and recognizable as bearing shields etc.

Drain the carb by unscrewing the large cap on the bottom. It does not need to be removed, just opened enough to let the gas out.

The metal shavings were just like fine dust. Nothing that looked like actual pieces of metal. But that oil was NASTY! Like, I have never seen oil so black/gray, ever, in any motor, period.....it was bad.

When I took the M/C apart, that fluid stunk! Really bad, so I don't believe this bike had good maintenance done on it. So time for a new owner to do it right!

I have one more really dumb question, how do I remove the air filter? I can't seem to find a manual that shows this stuff. The ones that I have found are focused on the engine, the shop manuals, not the service manuals.

Thanks

The gearbox oil gets contaminated with two stroke oil from the power valve. This makes the oil dark, and gives it something of a burned two stroke oil exhaust smell.

Not sure about the 99 model, but for me it's remove the seat to see better, then remove the left side panel and detach the spring rod. After that the filter comes out the left side.

The gearbox oil gets contaminated with two stroke oil from the power valve. This makes the oil dark, and gives it something of a burned two stroke oil exhaust smell.

Not sure about the 99 model, but for me it's remove the seat to see better, then remove the left side panel and detach the spring rod. After that the filter comes out the left side.

Glad that is normal, was a little worried. I'm learning these machines from scratch. I have mechanical ability, just don't have the knowledge about 2t's yet.

Back