DRZ battery in my 04 FSE450

cal_tony

Don't know what took me so long to try it. I had been using a YTZ7-S which is a little larger than what the stock battery was but it really never provided enough power to be used as a reliable starting source.

Anyway, I was going to start up one of my 450s after a couple of months of it just sitting in my garage. The battery that was in it was not recharging so I thought I would take one of my DRZ 400 batterys off the shelf and use it to just start the 450. I pulled the batt box and just shoved the twice the sized DRZ battery into the hole that had been occupied by the batt box. It fit just fine and even allowed me to replace the seat. The bike started right up with this 6 year old battery better than it ever had before.
I made a quick right angle sheet metal bracket[3" wide] . Attached it to the lower battery box holding screws in the fender and went riding.

I've started the bike a dozen or so times in the last few days without a problem. The battery is a bit heavier. The YTZ batt weighed in at just under 5lbs the DRZ battery is about 8 lbs.

I have one of my 450s set up for duel sport[ street and fire roads] so I'm going to make this mod permanent on that bike.

Just thought I'd mention this.

Since I was writing this I also thought I would mention that recent comments about using the throttle sensor screw as an idle screw really doesn't work.

Adjusting that screw will raise the idle on initial start but within a minute the CPU will lower it in accordance with it's idle software setting. Adjusting this screw will in many cases make the bike easier to start but it is not an idle screw.

Lastly, If you having a hard time finding an oil filter for your early 450 the mid 2000's DRZ 110 filter will work just fine.

Tony

FSE battery

I thought I would thyow my two cents in on this. I was frustrated with my 05 FSE being a hard starting bitch so I parked it an rode my 04 EC300 for the past 5 years while the 450 sat . I thought why ride a 450 when you have a superior machine to ride ? (chuckle). I was tired of constantly charging the ytz7's & trying to keep them alive . The bike would crank way too slowly even with a brand new fully charged one. I recently got an itch to bring out my beautifully preserved 450 FSE & slam a plate on it so I can ride the Reno 200 dual sport ride I installed a Shorai Lithium Iron Battery because I saw a magazine ad on them & their claims of super light weight ,super high cranking amps,and ability hold acharge for long periods of time without charging. Wow! Bitchen product . I now sell them to everyone with a fourstroke & they thank me . I would be happy to ship any thumper guy one of these beauties . If interested email me at ntms1@sbcglobal.net Happy Trails !

Back