Ec 200 burns too much gas

Jer

My 2008 Ec200 seems to burn way too much fuel. I have the 3.2 gallon tank and it will burn it all within 2-3 hours run time.

Here is all the jetting
- Size 40 Pilot
- Size 172 Main
- Needle clip in second position ( No marking on needle other that blue paint on the top)
- Number 6 slide

The bike seems to run pretty rich, it smokes a lot even when warm and has a fair bit of oil out of the exhaust. I replaced the reeds with Boysen pro series reeds a bit ago so they should be fine. It has 125 PSI of compression when the engine is at 100 degrees. I know that is low and I have a new top end on the way but I don't think that's the problem. Could be wrong though.

I set the floats to be parallel with the bowl surface as they were way to high before. doing this would have made the bike run richer although I don't see that being the issue especially since that should be the proper height.

From what I learn on this forum the jetting I currently have is pretty average if not slightly lean. I'm in interior BC, Canada and I usually ride between 500 and 1500 meters (1500 to 4500 feet).

If ridden as a dirtbike the needle will make most difference. Read jetting threads and choose a good option.

Also inspect the needle jet under magnification for the slightest ovality which is bad. Very.

But most times it is the Float needle is worn and with vibration spews out gas. Cheap to replace.

Pictures

I forgot to add these to the first post.

Attachments

• 1A2FA592-9766-4A86-BA61-0E2BFA237C8C.jpg
    1A2FA592-9766-4A86-BA61-0E2BFA237C8C.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 11C4A2D6-9308-4AB9-B7DF-1579CDCD5245.jpg
    11C4A2D6-9308-4AB9-B7DF-1579CDCD5245.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 5ED1BA70-236D-4498-A0E4-39E309598435.jpg
    5ED1BA70-236D-4498-A0E4-39E309598435.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 15
If ridden as a dirtbike the needle will make most difference. Read jetting threads and choose a good option.

Also inspect the needle jet under magnification for the slightest ovality which is bad. Very.

But most times it is the Float needle is worn and with vibration spews out gas. Cheap to replace.

Ok, I?ll pick up a new float needle. It should be the same for all Kehin PWK carbs right?

Ok, I?ll pick up a new float needle. It should be the same for all Kehin PWK carbs right?

Yes. BTW, try to stay away from aftermarket parts. Only use genuine Keihin replacements. BTW, also try setting your float at 18mm. I know most PWK carbs are set at 16mm but IME that has proved to be too high of a setting and can make dialing in the proper jetting rather difficult or even impossible.

How did you perform your compression test? That is pretty low numbers.
You would be over compensating for the lack of power with more throttle as well.

How did you perform your compression test? That is pretty low numbers.
You would be over compensating for the lack of power with more throttle as well.

Screw the compression tester in all the way and tighten about as much as a spark plug, hold throttle wide open and kick it hard and fast until the number stopped going up. that was the reading I got. I did try multiple times with same result.

I have a new top end on the way. The power feels pretty good but I could have bought the bike like this and never noticed lack of power.

One thing I forgot to note in my initial post is that my bike idles pretty poorly. When I start it for the first time it revs really high and I have to use the kill switch to idle it down. After a few seconds it goes to a normal but high idle. After a few minutes it idles right down to the point of barely running(1000 rpm).

Never heard of a leak down test, is there a way to perform that from home or does it require special tools?

Yeah, you can do it at home. Look it up on youtube as there are plenty of guys that have made their own.

Replace your jet-black O ring .It will be your cause of poor fuel consumption and Idling .Buy them on Ebay .Look at you tube for instructions

I took the bike out for a good ride today and holy does it run like crap. from 1/3 throttle to about 3/4 throttle it has a terrible sputter, its hard to explain but the bike runs terrible. Even throughout the rest of the throttle range it runs pretty bad but most present from about 1/3 to 3/4. I think ill hold of on the leak down test for now it seems pretty complicated. Tomorrow I will phone all the dealers to see if they have a float needle, NEDJ or CEL needle and maybe a jet block o ring too. hopefully one of the dealers will.

Screw the compression tester in all the way and tighten about as much as a spark plug, hold throttle wide open and kick it hard and fast until the number stopped going up. that was the reading I got. I did try multiple times with same result.

I have a new top end on the way. The power feels pretty good but I could have bought the bike like this and never noticed lack of power.

Spot on! Some people forget about the throttle wide open. New top end is a great start. But also do a leak down test so you don?t lean out the new top end with an air leak.

My 02 was a peach, but especially when I pput the right needle in, now not available as LTR kit. It will be fixable but sometimes old bikes need perseverance. That's why they are cheap.

Unfortunately none of the dealers had carb parts for my bike. however I found something that could have contributed to my issue. I'm embarrassed to admit that my air filter may have not been sealing fully. one corner of the sealing surface had a coating of dirt on it, it looks like the line of dirt stops before the intake but its definitely a possibility of it taking in dirt. I was riding in some pretty dusty stuff and the bike didn't quit which is the only reason I think it might still have been sealing enough. May be a new crank on the way too.:(

Any one know the stock jer sizes for the 200? Do mine seem in the ballpark of being good? Running problems keep showing up now. It?s always had the idle issue but I can?t think of anything that would have changed to cause the fuel consumption and now poor running.

I attached a picture of the needle if anyone were able to tell anything from that.

Attachments

• 5A7CC620-3373-4AE9-A992-A84AFD0C9D67.jpg
    5A7CC620-3373-4AE9-A992-A84AFD0C9D67.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 11
Oh yeah from that picture I can tell its a DFK needle but from the fuel injected model. Also the hand calecers present a single man.

Just saying.

Oh yeah from that picture I can tell its a DFK needle but from the fuel injected model. Also the hand calecers present a single man.

Just saying.[/Q

I was meaning the line in the needle, is that a wear mark or would a needle have that from factory?

The picture was of the needle not my soft hand. Stay focused.

Attachments

• 19A340E2-A3FD-4074-B476-DD1876A83EFE.jpg
    19A340E2-A3FD-4074-B476-DD1876A83EFE.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 7
Yes, some needles have some machined steps in them like that. Without the numbers off of it, though, we really can't tell you much about it.

Anyway, sudden fuel consumption, as was mentioned earlier, the float is the very first thing to check. I would make sure the float actually floats, that the needle is in good condition, and set the height to 18mm. Might also be worth polishing the needle seat to make sure there isn't any varnish buildup that you can't see with your eyes. The trick for cleaning the seat is here: https://youtu.be/zlez_hdoWYk I've used this trick a couple of times over the years to fix a leaky needle valve.

Back