Ec300 s3 cylinder and piston differences

Joe12345

Hello I have a 2004 ec300 and have swapped to the s3 cylinder, s3 extra high compression black insert and s3 piston my previous 2 wossner pistons did 150 hours on this s3 cylinder and head setup but after a diy polish in the ports I had the nickel flake in the cylinder and sent it off for replating, the last piston only did 80 hours and seems to have a line above the boost transfer port so I am sending it back off again for repair to be safe and the ports to be opened up and the sand casting flaws to be removed (as I think this caused the flaking) i also thought I would swap to the s3 piston incase there are any differences… and tbh it looks slightly cheaper and the piston ring end gap is in the middle of the boost port which I’ve always thought to be bad?
Any body running the s3 cylinder and head what pistons do you run and for what hours/mods ect

In boost port is fine if central rear.
Any porting at the bore edge will reveal an edge and that is never going to give long life so yes to replate from decent service.

Ok well both the s3 piston ring end gap runs in the rear central boost transfer port
Where as the wossner are a lot wider and run in the 2 bridges either side of it
I’ve sent the cylinder off with both A type pistons see what they say once it’s honed as the wossner is forged A 71.93 and the s3 drop cast A 71.94
What pistons does everybody prefer and why?

To be fair I've run Woosner in my 07 as it's only replacement to original. It just never seemed to wear over next 15 years. Took apart twice for other reasons.

Back