ECU mounting

GavGav

Anyone else tried this?

ECU.jpg

After having my bike serviced at a non GasGas dealer the bike came back with a cable tie around the ECU holding the multipin connector in place.

I was told it the locking tab had broke when they tried to remove it. :mad:

The only way to "fix" it was to buy an new ECU. $$$$$$

So I decided to take it off from under the fuel tank and mount it to the frame where it normally sits.
I added a bolt to earth the unit.

It has actually worked quite well as the tank is easier to remove and do work on the bike.

Haven't riden the bike in the dirt yet though.

I don't understand why it is attached to the tank anyway, except to make it hard to get to:p

Last edited:
I think i would put a piece of rubber between the ECU and frame or bolt it tight to eliminate any kind of buzzing (for lack of a better word) between the two from vibration. And in thier defense its not the first one to get broken.

There is already a strip of rubber on the frame here. Seems to work OK.

I always felt like there was a bit of a strain on the cables when I removed the tank.

Last edited:
Looks good! I have the same problem, broken locking tab, and there is strain on the cables when it is under the tank.. I will try this.

Yeah, I broke a tab from mine within the first couple of months with the bike('05),surprisingly, it never falls off, ever. When I take the tank off though, I remove the harness first, then pull up on the tank. I'm still going to consider your new mount.

what a great idea....i broke my tab too. stupid thing.
Thanks for posting pic and solution. Will try it tonight.

I would have broken mine off, but my brother in law dissasembled it; he works fast and with mad surgical precision.:)

I don't see how the ecu takes the beating in the first place, regardless of mounting location.

The original mounting is as high as possible and in a recess for 1 good reason. The ecu is open to the air via the black plug on the opposite side to the main plug. It is that way so the atmospheric pressure sensor can get a reading. The recess helps with spray reduction I would think. If you drown the bike the probability is you will drown the ecu if you dont get it out quick. Mounting it elsewhere could be expensive.

Last edited:
Back