Engine Swap 03 450 Fse

unitedrider

I have a 03 450 fse that has a bad motor I'm looking to find another 400 or 450 motor to swap, I don't know what years the motors changed and if they are compatible with my bike, if anyone knows where I can find a motor that would be great Thanks!! for any input

Not sure but I think the starter moved in 05, that was quite a big change. Then in 06 there were other changes with a slightly bigger bore. If the 2006 and later will mount and you can accomodate the different starter position (could be a pain with harness etc) then you will have the most reliable motor release. I don't think they have changed anything since 2006 but I could be wrong. Anything 2005 or later is supposed to be more reliable.

What modifications would I have to do to accommodate a newer motor did the motor mount specs change throughout the years, would I have to get a different wiring harness, or different electronics anything I should know before I start looking for another motor, and would a 400 work with the 450 electronics Thanks!!

This won't be a popular thoght, but an XR 400 engine with a 440 kit would be fun in a Gas Gas Chassis. Easy swap? Who knows, but I like the idea. Sorry, just my imagination running wild.

I like the way you're thinking! But I'll bet a DRZ400 motor would be a much
easier swap than an XR400. Heck, it MIGHT just drop right in. Somewhere,
someone said the 4T GG motor was based on the Zook DRZ motor.
just a thought.
Jeff

Back