First ride this weekend, some issues!

gazm800

Hi guys.

I managed to get out the bike this weekend following a fair bit of overhauling. I couldn't test ride before buying and had never ridden a GG before. Mines is a 2012 ec 250. I previously owned an rm 250 2 stroke.

The first thing I noticed was the brakes seem a little vague, this could be due to new pads front and rear though. I had to replace the forks with a new set of marzocchi, I really liked the suspension, front and rear.

There was a lot of smoke coming from the right hand side power valve breather pipe. I've looked at the exploded parts diagrams and this looks like a breather for the gear box? I will check gear oil level today.

I also noticed a rattle/chatter. I can't really pinpoint where this is coming from at the moment. I have replaced the piston only, nothing else in the motor has been touched. Any thoughts on this?

The other the thing I noticed is that the motor feels really flat at the bottom end. I don't know if I'm expecting to much, also I haven't ridden for 3 years so may remember my Rm to be quicker than it actually was.

The final issue is that the starter motor sheared from it mounting plate on the cylinder head. I'm thinking of getting rid of the e start and fitting a standard generator cover.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers. Gaz.

Brakes- you should resurface the rotor when installing new pads to remove leftover pad material. Sand the rotors with 80-120 grit (you wont hurt them, they're steel) and lightly scuff the pads with same sandpaper. Then bed them in per instructions on the web.

Smoke- The right side is the PV actuator and gear box vent, you might just be having excess pre-mix oil burning off in that area. Or it's gear oil, better to check early.

Rattle/chatter- One of two things: Power valve or worn exhaust spigot o-rings. Search the forums for the proper o-rings, (Viton, 44X3mm?) easy to purchase and replace. If it's the power valve, adjust the linkage as explained in the engine forums (I believe).

Flat motor- Jetting. Pull apart the carb and compare the jets and settings to the multitude of jetting threads. Make note of which carb you have (ASI, ASII) and needle (plus clip position). Lots of info available.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I have a 14 but with regard to the rattle, mine does the same now since new and I am told it is the lever/rod under the right side cover that actuates the power valve and that it rattles against the engine casing. Kind of happens under no load/deceleration conditions?

It is loose and makes a vibration contact just enough to make a rattle. It in and of itself is not a problem, but I assume the part since making contact can wear out over time and fail.

I have heard folks bending it slightly outward so it doesn't make contact, but that alters the angle at which the power valve operates.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the e start and fitting a standard generator cover.

If you do nix the starter please contact me I need to buy the mounting plate that secures the starter to the generator cover (mine is wallowed out where the starters shaft rides in the mounting plate). - Ken

Thanks for the input guys. I will have a read up this evening on the power valve. I've drained the gear oil and the level was slightly higher than it should be so I'm hoping that it hasn't caused anymore issues!

Back