First top end job - for the bike and for me

CombatYoga

Gold Level Site Supporter
Apologies in advance for the noob nature of these questions - this is the first top end job I have ever done, and I'm following the instructions from a site.

My bike is a 2014 XC300R.
I have my head and jug off the bike, and I've cleaned the various parts.

2 questions for the group:

1) I ordered a top end kit from GoFasters; the piston already has the rings on it. Do I need to remove those rings, get them into the cylinder and perform a measurement on the ring end gap? If so, does anyone know what that measurement is supposed to be? The site I'm going off recommends .004" per 1" of bore as a general rule of thumb.

2) I destroyed the gasket on the head where the 2 water lines come in. I also destroyed the power valve gasket on the right side getting it off. I don't have replacements, and was considering using a "make a gasket" product that you squeeze out of a tube. Any concerns with going that approach?

Bike has about 100 hours on it and was running strong. Just figured it was time. The cylinder looks great with no pitting or scoring that I can see.

Thank you,

Slade

+1.
I never measured my rings.
Use a ScotchBright bad and knock the glaze off the cylinder walls.
Install and go ride.

Didn't the bike come with a gasket set and a piston kit when you bought it?

You must ride a lot to already need to do a piston in a 2014 300? How many hours does it have on it? Is the piston showing any signs of blow by under the rings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top end job

Thanks for the replies you guys.

I have the 2 gaskets on the way.

I don't have an hour meter on my bike, but I ride with a friend and his bike was at just under 100 hours, which would put me in the 100-120 range. I've had the bike for just about a year. It did not come with an extra piston kit when I bought it (I did not expect that either).

I see no evidence of blow-by, just a nice chocolaty/black carbon on the crown of the piston.

This top end job really hasn't been that bad - I learned a lot taking things apart to get to it. The bottom end doesn't seem to have excessive play either. Nice peace of mind to know exactly what things look like as I get ready to put her back together...and saved myself some ducats!

Never hurts to change them at 100 hours. Idk if GasGas is still giving the extra parts I mentioned or not. My 2011 came with a complete piston kit, a full gasket set, extra front and rear brake pads, extra levers, extra 50 tooth back sprocket, and the tool kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back