Gas gas catches fire! will not rev past 1/4 throttle

knocklife

2012ec300r

After my bike was completely submerged in water, i went to flush it out and the bike cought fire from the spark plug wire and fumes from gas coming out of the top end.

http://youtu.be/OEbpChGpA8I

after this happened I was able to get the bike started back up.. it took 3 to 4 hours and about a thousand kicks to get the water completely out of the motor and get it running again, I ended up riding 15 to 20 miles back to my friends boat, then transferred it back to the island I live on and got it home safely.

if you watch the video above you can see that a lot of sand was thrown onto the bike and some I know got into the motor from trying to get the fire put out.

The issue i am having is that it will not rev past 1/4throttle to 2/3 throttle, it breaks up, and isnt consistent at all. It idles pefect and revs at top rpm fine, but not in the middle.

since then I have repaired all electrical wires on the bike because they were severely damaged and also clean the carburetor 3 times changed spark plug 3 different times change the throttle cable clean the air filter, checked the reeds, checked piston and rings.

i am out of ideas at this point, it ran fine on the way home and up until i put it all back together. Anyone have some advice on what i should do next?

Thanks,

Nick

I would pull the whole bike apart, pull motor out and disassemble. Clean and check everything and reroute the vent from the carb up to the headstem(if not already done).
After that I would ride in deserts and avoid water and kicking the bike with no plug in :D
Cheers Mark

2012ec300r

After my bike was completely submerged in water, i went to flush it out and the bike cought fire from the spark plug wire and fumes from gas coming out of the top end.

after this happened I was able to get the bike started back up.. it took 3 to 4 hours and about a thousand kicks to get the water completely out of the motor and get it running again, I ended up riding 15 to 20 miles back to my friends boat, then transferred it back to the island I live on and got it home safely.

if you watch the video above you can see that a lot of sand was thrown onto the bike and some I know got into the motor from trying to get the fire put out.

The issue i am having is that it will not rev past 1/4throttle to 2/3 throttle, it breaks up, and isnt consistent at all. It idles pefect and revs at top rpm fine, but not in the middle.

since then I have repaired all electrical wires on the bike because they were severely damaged and also clean the carburetor 3 times changed spark plug 3 different times change the throttle cable clean the air filter, checked the reeds, checked piston and rings.

i am out of ideas at this point, it ran fine on the way home and up until i put it all back together. Anyone have some advice on what i should do next?

Thanks,

Nick

"after this happened I was able to get the bike started back up.. it took 3 to 4 hours and about a thousand kicks to get the water completely"

Remember Gasgas puts a drain plugin the bottom end for this reason. It's a socket allen head, pull and the water will drain out.

Sounds like an electrical problem would start by checking with a multi-meter, do a search there are a some posts on this.

Roger that, I found some threads on multimeter testing. I agree, it is a good idea to go through the entire bike, however i just want to ride :)

thank you, I will keep you updated on the results.

Checked the impulse coil, it matches specs. Mapping reads correctly... thanks for the advise wimpy. Any other ideas? I ordered ht coil, cap and a new cdi, hoping that does the trick, but it wont be here until Saturday.

One question about the mapping, when on sun mode ohm reads 1. when switched to rain mode it reads .7, this is with the bike off. Does this reading mean my switch is okay? Is .7 enough?

Last edited:
just about to say clean the carb as you throw sand all over it lol ide be worried about the piston etc if all that crap has gone inside
it happened to me, my main bearing seized up but that was only a few hundred meters plus it was a muddy bomb hole

Did the floats melt?

I'd be splitting the cases too. I know two mates who both encountered sludge holes, got the bikes running again, and wasted the engine. Both thought a new piston and rings would suffice, and in the end both ended up doing the whole engine. Do it right the first time saves a lot of suffering.

leaking oil

Hello,

After a long cold winter in Alaska I pulled my ec300 out and it is now leaking oil from both side cases. Does GG make a wet clutch? Should I have oil under my clutch cover case? I am considering sending the whole motor out to get opened up and gone through. This bike cought on fire and had sand thrown in the motor. See the video below. Anyone have any contacts on who would do a good job and go through the motor? My resources are limited on an island in Alaska.

thank you,

Nick

Can't help you with contacts but I would most definitely be rebuilding it. Clutch is meant to be in oil.

for others following this thread (and being v experienced in drowning bikes) the procedure is:
remove airfilter and get one of your buddies to try to dry it (wring it out and then tie it to a piece of string and pretend to be a helicopter works quite well in my experience)
turn off gas
remove float bowl drain plug (this is probably why it never ran properly, there was most likely some water in the float)
remove spark plug
flip bike over onto its handlebars and seat
put bike in gear and spin rear wheel until all the water is out and then some
replace sparkplug with new (or prime it with some gas)
put everything back except the air filter (unless you are in very dirty dusty environment)
and kick it till it starts, then with it reving nicely fit the filter (it is easier to start a bike when it is not pulling damp air through the carb)

then when you get back home you service it (preferably flush the gearbox first with kerosene - fill it ride the bike a few meters to mix it to an emulsion - then with some cheap engine oil - ride it a bit further) and all should be fine.

unless if you filled the top end with sand ;-)

Back