GasGas at Dakar 2018

Barreda is a great rider. No question about that. I guess the nature of Dakar is that one small mistake can have massive consequences.
But he strikes me as someone who's maturity disappears when something goes wrong.

I was also exited to see Brabec climbing again. I still think he may have what it takes to surprise everyone.

Yeah he, strikes me as a bit of whiner. Hated how he went home after he had no chance at the overall.

Brabec in the top 5 would be awesome

13th for Barragan and rumors Sunderland has crashed out. Sorry to say I somewhat saw that coming, the pressure of the #1 bites again.

The Yamaha guys (2 of them anyway) went 1-2 on stage 4, and Van Bevern leads OA at this point. Sutherland doesn't show in the overall, so I assume you're correct that he is out.

Sunderland is out. Very sad. He has great charisma. Likable guy.

Aubert and Barragan were crushing it for the better part of the day but fell off near the end. Still a great showing for both of them.

12th and 14th in the stage has them sitting in 15th and 23rd in the OA Standings.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some movement in that before the day over. Not sure if time will be given back for the cluster at WP6 and 7 or if anyone stopped to help SunderSam.

CDP is out of the Dakar after a bad crash as well.

What a crazy day it has been!!

Sorry for Sam, hope it's minor!

This has been the most exciting Dakar in the last three years I'd say. Super enjoyable to watch. I'm curious to see if Price is playing strategy or if his leg is holding him back.

Sucks about Brabec, lost a lot of time today.

Go Shorty!

I notice Cristian Espana received a one hour penalty today. Anyone know why? :(
Moves him from 29th OA to 41st.

Apologies for a few posts back. Cyril Despres is not out of Dakar. I had assumed he was after yesterday's crash but he seems to be back out again today. No clue how they got that fixed out in the field. He was in really rough shape.

I think I can be forgiven by seeing the photo I made my assumptions off.

wire-2046346-1515548008-641_634x422.jpg

Apologies for a few posts back. Cyril Despres is not out of Dakar. I had assumed he was after yesterday's crash but he seems to be back out again today. No clue how they got that fixed out in the field. He was in really rough shape.

I think I can be forgiven by seeing the photo I made my assumptions off.

wire-2046346-1515548008-641_634x422.jpg

I wonder who he's on the phone with in this pic, and what's being said.

"Hello Redbull, please have Peugeot drop me another car on the backside of the next dune ..." perhaps.

Competitors can only receive assistance on stage from other competitors. More than likely Puegot has a truck entered in the T4 class with spares/welder/probably even a small machine shop. That is how the class got its roots if I'm not mistaken.

Either way those poor bastards at the bivy had a long night patching that thing back together!

Another great day for GasGas in Stage5.

Aubert and Barragan streaking across the desert to place 10th and 15th in the stage today. This moves them to 13th and 20th in the general respectively.

Fantastic to see two Gasser guys in the top 20.

Incredible showing from Barreda of course making over 13 minutes up today. Now sitting only 7:33 back from Vanbeveren.

Absolutely, but I am just thrilled by team Yamaha, yesterday it was like they were in their own little world and totally dominating. So badass so see things get shaken up like it has this year.

Absolutely, but I am just thrilled by team Yamaha, yesterday it was like they were in their own little world and totally dominating. So badass so see things get shaken up like it has this year.

O Yes! Yamaha is my second love after Gassers. And VanBeveren and XDS have a great attitude to their style.

Did you catch the interview with XDS about how they are using KTM tactics to help each other out and navigate together? Thats why they seem to be side by side through every stage.
Caimi seems to have had a major crash but still made it back to the Bivi. So much time lost it looks he has no chance left at a high place finish.

Yes, their style reminds me of the skier Candide Thovex.

I've been a fan of Yamaha since the YZ250X came out. Will definitely have one in the garage someday soon.

Yes, their style reminds me of the skier Candide Thovex.

I've been a fan of Yamaha since the YZ250X came out. Will definitely have one in the garage someday soon.

I'm torn on the YZX... I want to like it. I really do. But I think an '18 Gasser is gonna beat it into the garage. The Yamaha is great but is missing just enough features to turn me back to GasGas.

Think Price is just biding his time till the second week? I have a feeling he isn't giving it his all. I don't think his leg is bugging him much if he is staying so near the top every day.

Edit: Had to look Candide Thovex up. He's a whole lot more insane than anyone racing Dakar!!!

Last edited:
I wasn't very clear, much more likely i'll end up with a yz125, or 250x, or 450fx. the 250fx weighs too much for the application i'd use it for, but it's a cool bike nonetheless.

Great day of racing again. Gas Gas is certainly making a splash.

I wasn't very clear, much more likely i'll end up with a yz125, or 250x, or 450fx. the 250fx weighs too much for the application i'd use it for, but it's a cool bike nonetheless.

Great day of racing again. Gas Gas is certainly making a splash.

Indeed. Frustrating to see Cristian Espana racking up the penalty hours. Especially when there are riders behind him in the standings with no penalties you really start to see how far up he could be. I'm assuming the penalties are missed waypoints.

17th for Barragan and 19th for Aubert in the stage move them each to 13th and 20th in the general standings.

Espana is sitting back in 56th but would be in 30th if not for his penalty times.

So exciting to watch two Gasser guys consistently staying in the top 20.

Toby Pies laying down some blistering tracks today finishing only 30 seconds back from Meo. I ain't a fan of the orange brand but I like Toby.

Penalties given out to both Aubert and Barragan for todays effort, 1 min for Aubert and 5 for Barragan.

This allows Aubert to stay in 13th OA, but moves Barragan back to 21st.

Another great day for Barragan and Aubert. 11th and 15th in the stage moves Aubert to 12th overall and Barragan to 17th overall.

Espana is still hounded by his penalties. He posted 37th in the stage which moves him up to 48th in the general.

Here's to hoping Barreda is back tomorrow and feeling better. All competition is good competition. #anythingbutorange?

Last edited:
Back