going away from JD recomended settings? 2015 xc300 help

BryanMcc

Messed with the stock needle on my 15 xc300. Never did really get it sorted. Bought a JD kit, this is my 3rd kit from them, all three other bikes we very very close with the recommended settings. 1st ride, 5k feet elevation, 60 degrees, used JD recommended 175 main, 38 pilot, red # 4, bike was way way rich. so much spooge, it ran down the ehaust and was dripping on the swingarm again. went to the 5 to 8k feet setup (170 main, red #3) rode it the next week, 6500 feet, 70 degrees, still so rich it wont clear out easily. low end response seems good, as does needle. its still a spooge factory with this set up, still dripping down the silencer all the way. I did notice the idle screw was wound in very tight, so I backed it out and turned the airscrew out a bit. Did I do the right thing there? and would you move to a leaner main again? Thanks in advance.

throttle pos

just wide open. thinking or dropping to a 165 main, although jd thinks I may need to go one clip richer on the needle if I do.

I'd probably taper down slowly. Maybe try a 170 first, then a 165 and fine tune from there.

I agree with JD that you may find the smaller main requires a richer clip position, but then again it may not.

I'd probably taper down slowly. Maybe try a 170 first, then a 165 and fine tune from there.

I agree with JD that you may find the smaller main requires a richer clip position, but then again it may not.

it has a 170 in it now. JD recommended 40 to 1 instead of 32 to1 to help the drool problem. its horrendous. 170 was still rich tonight even at 4k feet. lowest elevation I have ridden all year. Jake, would you go to a 168 next or just go straight 165?

If it was burbling rich I'd jump a full 162/165 size. If it just felt a touch fluffy I'd go the 168.

I think Simmo737 has a 2015 model with an AS1 carb and is running lean settings similar to what we previously would have with an AS2. Looks like the new engine wants less fuel.

Hi sry for my bad english. In the first days with the 2015 i had nearly the same problem and at my bike the choke didn t close 100%

If it was burbling rich I'd jump a full 162/165 size. If it just felt a touch fluffy I'd go the 168.

I think Simmo737 has a 2015 model with an AS1 carb and is running lean settings similar to what we previously would have with an AS2. Looks like the new engine wants less fuel.

I believe it's an AS2 on this bike, it doesn't have a screw top cap. I'll try a 165

See above too. Not sure if you have the cable pull choke installed, but I've had similar issues. I fit a standard knob from the get go now.

See above too. Not sure if you have the cable pull choke installed, but I've had similar issues. I fit a standard knob from the get go now.

It has the cable choke. My last one broke at the threads and was a pain getting it out of the woods that day. So I think I'll put the std knob In it. Also, I thought I read you have measured the JD needles before, I have their spreadsheets, is there two similar needles I can use in the spreadsheet?

Spread sheet doesn't plot JD needles or Suzuki OEM needles.

Realistically, just about any needle (even the OEM Gas Gas needle) should be pretty easy to dial in the clip position and main jet. The hard part is keeping that the same while you fine tune everything below 1/4 throttle.

I'd start with the choke plunger now that's been brought into the picture. Then continue on the same path.

FWW I have exchanged a few PMs with Peff since late last month regarding their 2015 EC300. Initial complaint being that the JD Red #3 felt too fat and fluffy for their liking.

Last update yesterday was as follows:
Thx a lot now it ran awsome i think a bit rich but i will lift the clip
To 2 position.
Greets from Germany Peff

That's after trying 40 NEDW#3 175, 15-20C 2500ft.

Stock mixture on the 2012 is 50:1 and drools pretty bad. 32:1 must be awful[/QUOTE
We have three bikes in the fleet. A 15 beta, a 14 husky te300, and a 15 gasser xc300, both the Beta (can't beat the recommended jetting out of their charts, spot on) and the TE (JD kit) get along great at 32 to 1. black at the end, zero drool. I was hoping the gas gas was a little tighter in the squish department (my 2010 300 never ran clean until I did the head mod).

Spread sheet doesn't plot JD needles or Suzuki OEM needles.

Realistically, just about any needle (even the OEM Gas Gas needle) should be pretty easy to dial in the clip position and main jet. The hard part is keeping that the same while you fine tune everything below 1/4 throttle.

I'd start with the choke plunger now that's been brought into the picture. Then continue on the same path.

FWW I have exchanged a few PMs with Peff since late last month regarding their 2015 EC300. Initial complaint being that the JD Red #3 felt too fat and fluffy for their liking.

Last update yesterday was as follows:
Thx a lot now it ran awsome i think a bit rich but i will lift the clip
To 2 position.
Greets from Germany Peff

That's after trying 40 NEDW#3 175, 15-20C 2500ft.

Thanks Jake, I'll try a different plunger before I jet it anymore.

Try what jakobi wrote my 2015 was too rich with the JD.
The Suzuki Needle is much thinner at the first diameter than the JD
But it works Great.

Back