gripping the bike

Barton

Got a 2009 gss gase ec250 sixdays, my problem is trying to get a grip of the frame or airbox area when standing, my old 90's machine were fatter in the middle and was no problem, find my arms are pumping up were im hanging on,
Another thing are there hanler bar raisers available, dont want to,get taller bars but wouod like to,lift what I got about 20mm

I think Enduro engineering had some bar risers that go under the bar mounts.

I was on a KX450 before this and it was a fatter bike too, so it took some getting used too. I wear knee braces and they add some thickness so that helps. But I've found myself having to relearn a little. I just keep reminding myself to point my toes into the bike and put my elbows up. This seems to help me force my body into position. Pointing my toes into the bike makes me squeeze with my knees.

Got a 2009 gss gase ec250 sixdays, my problem is trying to get a grip of the frame or airbox area when standing, my old 90's machine were fatter in the middle and was no problem, find my arms are pumping up were im hanging on,
Another thing are there hanler bar raisers available, dont want to,get taller bars but wouod like to,lift what I got about 20mm

Get some skateboard grip tape or grip tape from the hardware store. Use scissors and cut to match the frames or mailbox.

I tried the skateboard tape thing on my Husky and shredded my riding pants. I wouldn't do that again.

I made a set of these for my bike and they are amazing. Everyone that tries my bike comes back want to know "where I got those" I used flat strap, angle & those expanding freeze from the auto parts house. You'll have to look closely because after frame powder coating they blended in well

Steg Pegz doesn't list GG as a direct fit but some have said a part # for one of the orange models will work but I have no idea which one.

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 199
  • RFfinished.jpg
    RFfinished.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 160
I made a set of these for my bike and they are amazing. Everyone that tries my bike comes back want to know "where I got those" I used flat strap, angle & those expanding freeze from the auto parts house. You'll have to look closely because after frame powder coating they blended in well

Steg Pegz doesn't list GG as a direct fit but some have said a part # for one of the orange models will work but I have no idea which one.
Great job. .. I might try these you'll have ti make a how to post. .how did u get the positioning wright and how did u fix to the frame?

Door stops mounted on the airbox. $5 worth. They work a treat.

IMG_20140510_174345_989_zpse332a6c6.jpg

Door stops mounted on the airbox. $5 worth. They work a treat.

IMG_20140510_174345_989_zpse332a6c6.jpg
Nice one. . I didn't like the idea of drilling the subframe the air box is a easier fitment. .. I was thinking of a dubily clip style clamp that would go around the supframe that would also allow u to slide the stopper up and down the frame..

Great job. .. I might try these you'll have ti make a how to post. .how did u get the positioning wright and how did u fix to the frame?

I used my boots on the peg to set angle & height, they mount to the same hole that the sub-frame mounts to and I used a piece of 1" angle (or you could use channel I guess) welded to the strap to keep them in the right position...DO NOT drill the subframe! I don't think it would help the sub-frame strength any...... They literally come off with one bolt

The air box set is a lot simpler but I have bent mine before & based on the wear that the rubber pieces get I'd be a bit afraid of pulling the bolts thru the plastic airbox

I'll try to take some closer pictures if you want them

I used my boots on the peg to set angle & height, they mount to the same hole that the sub-frame mounts to and I used a piece of 1" angle (or you could use channel I guess) welded to the strap to keep them in the right position...DO NOT drill the subframe! I don't think it would help the sub-frame strength any...... They literally come off with one bolt

The air box set is a lot simpler but I have bent mine before & based on the wear that the rubber pieces get I'd be a bit afraid of pulling the bolts thru the plastic airbox

I'll try to take some closer pictures if you want them
Ya a few closeup pitchers would be great. .

I just noticed that my msr riding jeans dont have any leather on the inside of the knee. So I got nylon on plastic. Doesn't help with no friction, did think about getting some knee slider patches, stick velcro on the air box and a sider patch on the knee of my jeans and hey presto I become part of the machine and never fall of:p

I should mention that i made up plates for the inside of the airbox and airbox lid out of a plastic chopping board to stop the bolts pulling through.

Yep made a set up for my Husky WR250, set them to right boot height and they will save 20 -25% energy on your arms over a long period. That's my opinion anyway.
Don't have them on the gasser yet but they will be on there ASAP.

I made my own using some rubber furniture castors. The only thing I changed from the picture is I now have counter sunk bolts in stead of the coach bolts pictured. I fitted them recently so I havent used them yet but it looks promising.

As someone else suggested just use you boots to pick a preferred location

Back