Guys, what do you think? Possible 1999 EC or XC 250 Purchase. Pics attached.

flatout111

Looking an inexpensive enduro to take down some nasty trails and climbs/descents. I'm worried if this is tuned to be a true enduro or is more wide open cross country. Hard to tell if it's an EC or XC. You can see in pics.

I would appreciate input from you guys if you think it is worth getting.

Pros (as told to me, haven't seen it yet. 1 hr away)

Starts first or second kick

Runs great

Says is really clean esp for year. Says cleaner than most 5 year old bikes

Comes with an extra black seat, steering stabilzer, rear fender with tailight (not a stock fender though) and two repaired shrouds with graphics

Cons

Would prefer a 300 as I do slower technical riding. Worried if it will lug though he says it's good slow

No kickstand, just bracket

No headlight. Says lighting coil is there but not sure works

No handguards (easily fixed)

I can get it with the extra parts for $700.

Thoughts? Pics attached including VIN which looks like it's XC but stamp says EC. Help on that would be appreciated too.

Thanks!

Attachments

• gg1.jpg
    gg1.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 60
  • gg2.jpg
    gg2.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 45
  • gg3.jpg
    gg3.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 37
  • gg5.jpg
    gg5.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 31
  • gg6.jpg
    gg6.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 33
My '00 XC250 is stamped just like yours (XC on the tag, EC on the case). Yours has the YK3 ignition which has a larger flywheel (better trail attitude) than the 2K2 and the 2K3 lighting coil puts out more watts (65 if I remember correct). The '99 might actually have the counter balancer, noticeable if you remove the ignition side cover. That would be a great bike. Those forks are supposed to be real smooth also.

Last edited:
I love my '99. It lugs down low better than most 250's. I can't tell exactly but I'm 99% sure are not the marzoochi forks, but the much coveted 50mm WP Extreme's. That's what I have on mine. I love them. They rode like butter. Only problem is they are a bit on the heavy side partially do to.being so large each leg takes almost a quart of fluid.

$700 is a great price.

The only thing you can't get for that bike is radiator shrouds.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thank you for your input, fellas. Keep them coming. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it but the more input the better.

Does anyone have a headlight or kickstand attachment or one of those bolt on kick stands? Not only do I need a light I prefer the look of one with a headlight.

I'm no expert but how does it look to you guys as far as being clean and in good shape. Again, I'm not really mechanical and kinda hard to tell to me.

For 700$ I would buy it immediately.
It is a great bike, even when it’s old.
I’m not sure if gasgas had different Motor numbers for the XC and EC models.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

That bike has the metal ignition cover that may have the high output lighting coil that works with the extra bolt on magnetic flywheel. The main difference from EC to XC is the ignition. Jump on it ASAP!

Does anyone have a good headlight that will work with it or a kickstand assembly? Also looking some handguards and would love one of the GG seats with graphics on it. That's not necessities, though.

Went out two days ago with two friends. Did about 27 miles of mtn 50 inch trail, elevation ranging from 3000 to 5000 ft and very rocky. I was on my '01 xc 200. Believe me, once you get that bike dialed in to suit you, you won't be thinking of what year it is, only how well it works and how much you enjoy riding it.

RB

Went out two days ago with two friends. Did about 27 miles of mtn 50 inch trail, elevation ranging from 3000 to 5000 ft and very rocky. I was on my '01 xc 200. Believe me, once you get that bike dialed in to suit you, you won't be thinking of what year it is, only how well it works and how much you enjoy riding it.

RB

I fully agree!!!

I did find out it is the Marzocchi forks not the WP. I still planning on getting it. Just need to get something that's inexpensive yet still pretty good thru the rough terrain.

I'll more than likely make an offer on that headlight. It's condition looks ok, not great, but maybe it will clean up.

Anyone out there have a kickstand or one of those clamp on kick stands? Or any decent extra handguards that would look good with this bike?

Thanks again for all the assistance. Hopefully will have it by Tuesday.

Does anyone have any of the following laying around I could get for this bike?

1-Working headlight that will fit. I checked on the one on Ebay for a 2000 EC250 and it would be fine but the seller does not know if it works or not so that's a bit concerning.

2-kickstand that will work or a clamp on universal kickstand

3-some nice handguards that will work good and look good with this bike. Doesn't have to be wrap around style. These would be easy to get aftermarket but if anyone has anything I might as well check here first.

Any plastic that will fit. Not really fond of the black fender and the one with the tail light is black too. Looking one with a fender. If not, I'll just use the black one. No biggie.

I did find out it is the Marzocchi forks not the WP. I still planning on getting it. Just need to get something that's inexpensive yet still pretty good thru the rough terrain.

Thanks again for all the assistance. Hopefully will have it by Tuesday.

They look an awful lot like my WP extremes. Please take a picture of the top cap and bottom clamp. And if you have calipers measure the fork tube.

Does anyone have any of the following laying around I could get for this bike?

1-Working headlight that will fit. I checked on the one on Ebay for a 2000 EC250 and it would be fine but the seller does not know if it works or not so that's a bit concerning.

2-kickstand that will work or a clamp on universal kickstand

3-some nice handguards that will work good and look good with this bike. Doesn't have to be wrap around style. These would be easy to get aftermarket but if anyone has anything I might as well check here first.

Any plastic that will fit. Not really fond of the black fender and the one with the tail light is black too. Looking one with a fender. If not, I'll just use the black one. No biggie.

I have a working headlight, but I'm keeping it. Sorry. Mines redish anyway and not yellow.

Check out my thread. Has most of the answers in it. You can't get the shroud plastics.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20414

Plastics are 94-98 KX125/250 available in white or black

This is where I got my graphics.

http://graphicmx.com/ggkit.shtml

I have these rad guards

http://www.flatlandracing.com/Merch...de=FR&Product_Code=12-05&Category_Code=12-gas

Well, I'm not a huge fan of yellow and since I can't bring it back to stock since the pink/red plastics are unavailable I may go with white plastic and get graphics like the 19 Ranger. Not a fan of black so white would be way to go.

So, where do you guys recommend getting plastic? And you guys said KX250 94-98 is same plastic and available in white?

Also, who do you think wold do best graphics replicating the Ranger 19 graphic look. Or maybe the 13 EC300 Racing look which had white plastic.

I'm getting it this weekend. If love the bike then I'll prob invest on a new look. Maybe.

I thought '99 and '00 plastic was the same? If they are I have a full take-off set including original seat cover from my '00 I'd like to get rid of. Search my posts. Pictures are there, price negotiable.

Back