HELP !! marzocchi 45mm shiver . stumped or stupid. ...

johall865

Ok so here goes... I have a 2008 gas gas ec 300. Pulled right fork leg to change oil and install stiffer sprngs. When reassembling I noticed I had no preload on spring. Yes the spacer is there and the spring is exact length as the one removed. It's as if the damper rod grew 6 mm . I then pulled left leg for comparison, it appeared fine until I removed cap from damper rod, heard a slight click and now has no preload. ... took the forks to dealer.. he inspected them, scratched his head and said add 6 mm more preload. .. I measured the distance between dust seal and Top of the axle mount is 301 mm. Travel is stated at 295 mm. Witch I would assume should be the distance between dust seal and Top of axle mount. What did I do wrong. ..please help..

I'd be double checking the rebound adjuster and ensuring the cap is actually seating fully down on the damper rod. IE back the locnut right down, then thread the cap on fully with the rebound adj backed out (not sure how the reb fits in the cap on the zokes - Sachs requires more finess than this).

Assuming all you did was remove the cap and drop a spring in, its very unlikely that anything else has changed.

I have checked and rechecked more times than I care to count. This is my first experience with the zokes and they seem very similar to the older showa's. Very simple design but it sure has me stumped. Been trying to convince myself that they were that way before I took them apart. May send them off to a shop next week.. I just hate admitting defeat.

Back