Help me check my math

FFRDave

There are 128 fluid ounces in a gallon of Gas... Right ??

I mix 50:1, Gas:Oil

So if I devide 128 Oz by 50, that gives me 2.56 Oz of oil per gallon of fuel.

A gallon is 3.79 liters (pretty close to four) &
a liter is .26 gallon. (Pretty close to a quarter)

There is a 3 Liter mark right on my fuel tank.

According to my calculation, If I fill to this 3 liter mark, I will need to add 2.04 Oz of oil for a 46:1 mix ratio.

I have been using 3 Oz per Gallon when I mix my fuel at the pump in a can. This is the preferred method. I have had no issues with fouled plugs, and the bike just kicks butt !!

Im going on a very long long trail ride next weekend (approx 100 miles). I will start the day with a full tank of fuel mixed using my preffered method. I plan to bring along a vial of oil (containing 2.04 Oz) in case I actualy run out of fuel on the trail. Im going with some 4-wheelers who run streight gas.

Right ??

You're right on the money - I'd like to see you measure out the .04 oz:D

Another way to look at is: 50:1 is 2% oil (I belive the owner's manual states it this way)
So, 2% of 3.0 liters is 0.06 liters which equals 2.03 oz.

I hope you don't mind me moving this thread. It was out of place in the Riding Techniques section. I decided to put it here in the Enduro Technical forums but then couldn't decide if it was Engine or Other... oh well, it is now in Other.

Back to your topic...
I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use to do any combination of oil ratio and gas quantity. It prints out a nice table in increments of 0.25 gallons of gas. If you (or others) want it, I can email it to you. However, you did the math correctly so you probably don't need it now.

By the way, I like to use 40:1 premix which is about 10 oz. oil with 3 gallons gas. You can use a small juice bottle that is 10 oz. to store your oil during a bike trip. Then, fill up at the pump and pour in your desired amount depending upon the gas quantity (1 gallon gets 1/3 of the juice bottle, etc... or put markings on the side for more accuracy).

I use a "stabil" ( thats the stuff you put in your fuel to stabilze the fuel) bottle to carry my ring ding oil. they are flat like a flask so it fits nicely in a camel back pack. It has a neat way of measuring out the oil in 1/2 oz or less increments. Nice clean and easy set up.

Thanks for the great idea skid. I will look for a Stabil bottle as I make my travels.

Matt,
It seems Im always in the wrong place. I attend another forum (FFROG) and they have an "Off Topic" section, its like your "other" section. Sometimes I actualy go there and ask my dirtbike questions on the OT section on FFROG. I dont mind getting moved at all. If you look at my post count, you will note that I am really big on this forum.

Thanks again for the mathcheck.

FFRDave,

Your question was a good one, so I created a FAQ based on it. I hope you (and others) find my tables useful.

Back