help my kid with his research,,, 5 quick questions please

jostby

See my last post pg3 for results. Thanks to all that contributed!

We're done taking results from this survey. Anyone posting going forward will just be for the benefit of "as info" to the GGRC community. We will try to compile this info into something meaningfull for everyone to see but the results are obviously not a typical cross section of society. Most everyone on this board are pretty hard core riders or racers. And we all know if you want to race competitively you are eventually going to get injured. I will add my info on at the last post dated 12/11. Thanks again, Jeff & Wes.

My son is doing a research paper (high-school senior) on off-road related injuries and is trying to gather some data. Answers from this site may be a little skewed as I think most of you are pretty hard core riders and most if not all of you have received one type of moderate or severe injury at one time or another. That being said is there any way I can get you guys to fill out his survey for him? If you have multiple family members feel free to add them also. No need to get too descriptive with the answers. You can PM me or reply to this thread. He appreciates your help. ALSO, please reply even if no injuries and your age would be a big help!
Thanks!

ORV Injury Survey
1 What is your gender? Male Female

2 Have you ever used an Off Road Vehicle, and what type of vehicle was it? Please answer 1), very often 2), seldom 3), never

Dirt Bike?

ATV?

UTV?

Off-road only 4x4 (rock crawler, racer)?

3 If yes have you ever received moderate or severe injuries while using an Off Road Vehicle? Yes No

4 If yes, what type of injury or injuries did you receive while using an Off Road Vehicle?

(Example: Broken Arm, Concussion, Cut Leg and needed 8 stitches, etc)

5 What was your age (or ages if multiple) when you received your injuries?

Last edited:
ORV Injury Survey
1 What is your gender? Male

2 Have you ever used an Off Road Vehicle, and what type of vehicle was it? Please answer 1), very often 2), seldom 3), never

Dirt Bike? yes

ATV?

UTV?

3 If yes have you ever received moderate or severe injuries while using an Off Road Vehicle? Yes No

yes

4 If yes, what type of injury or injuries did you receive while using an Off Road Vehicle?

Dislocated shoulder, concussion

ORV Injury Survey

Dirt Bike? yes, 1, very often

ATV? 2
UTV? 3
Off-road only 4x4 (rock crawler, racer)? 3

yes

Separated shoulder(28), cuncussion (24), lacerations of forearm requiring 4 stitches(29), broke both ankles (Tibia) at the same time (24), two broken ribs (24).

Ages posted in previous, but here goes again: 28, 24, 29, 24. The concussion and the two broken legs happened at the same time, along with two broken ribs.

ORV Injury Survey
1 What is your gender? xMale Female

2 Have you ever used an Off Road Vehicle, and what type of vehicle was it? Please answer 1), very oftenx 2), seldom 3), never

Dirt Bike?x

ATV?x

UTV?

3 If yes have you ever received moderate or severe injuries while using an Off Road Vehicle? Yesx No

4 If yes, what type of injury or injuries did you receive while using an Off Road Vehicle?Broken ribs(6) concussion, contusions,,

5 What was your age (or ages if multiple) when you received your injuries?31

ORV Injury Survey
1 What is your gender? xMale Female

2 Have you ever used an Off Road Vehicle, and what type of vehicle was it? Please answer 1), very oftenx 2), seldom 3), never

Dirt Bike?x1

ATV?x

UTV?

3 If yes have you ever received moderate or severe injuries while using an Off Road Vehicle? Yesx No

4 If yes, what type of injury or injuries did you receive while using an Off Road Vehicle?Broken ribs(6) concussion, contusions,,

Broken clavicle (collar Bone)

My son is doing a research paper (high-school senior) on off-road related injuries and is trying to gather some data. Answers from this site may be a little skewed as I think most of you are pretty hard core riders and most if not all of you have received one type of moderate or severe injury at one time or another. That being said is there any way I can get you guys to fill out his survey for him? If you have multiple family members feel free to add them also. No need to get too descriptive with the answers. You can PM me or reply to this thread. He appreciates your help.
Thanks!

ORV Injury Survey

Dirt Bike? Yes, very often

ATV?

UTV?

Yes

Broken carpus

ORV Injury Survey
1 What is your gender?

2 Have you ever used an Off Road Vehicle, and what type of vehicle was it?

Dirt Bike? very often

ATV?often

UTV?never

Off-road only 4x4 (rock crawler, racer)?never

3 If yes have you ever received moderate or severe injuries while using an Off Road Vehicle? Yes

4 If yes, what type of injury or injuries did you receive while using an Off Road Vehicle? (Broken collar bone/concussion), (knocked out teeth/stitches in face and gums), (broken leg), (bruised ribs),(knock out teeth again/stitches in chin)

15, 18, 19, 24, 27

ORV Injury Survey

Dirt Bike?

ATV?

UTV?

concussion (15)
dislocated knee(28)
broken ankle(38)
broken wrist(44)
impaled leg(46)
broken clavicle(49)
many other cuts and bruises over the years

ORV Injury Survey
1) What is your gender? Male

2) Have you ever used an Off Road Vehicle, and what type of vehicle was it? Dirt Bike. Very often.

3) If yes have you ever received moderate or severe injuries while using an Off Road Vehicle? Yes

4) If yes, what type of injury or injuries did you receive while using an Off Road Vehicle? Strained ligaments/tendons in my left foot (bent under footpeg from hitting a stump). A few good soil samples that made me see stars for a few minutes. Some deep bruising from said soil samples (the nice deep yellow kind that take weeks to go away).

5) What was your age (or ages if multiple) when you received your injuries? 36.

1 Male
2 Very often-Dirtbike
3 Yes
4 tibial plateu fracture, broken foot x 3, collapsed lung, concussion x ?, lotsa cuts, abrasions, bruises
5 riding since 4yrs old and now 51 injuries span lifetime, worse injuries after 28

1 Male
2 Very often - dirtbike
3 No (sprains, cuts and bruises but no "proper" injuries)

Riding dualsport or dirtbikes for the past 4 years.

My son is doing a research paper (high-school senior) on off-road related injuries and is trying to gather some data. Answers from this site may be a little skewed as I think most of you are pretty hard core riders and most if not all of you have received one type of moderate or severe injury at one time or another. That being said is there any way I can get you guys to fill out his survey for him? If you have multiple family members feel free to add them also. No need to get too descriptive with the answers. You can PM me or reply to this thread. He appreciates your help. ALSO, please reply even if no injuries and your age would be a big help!
Thanks!

ORV Injury Survey

Male

Dirt Bike?

Very Often

ATV?
NEVER!

UTV?
NEVER!

Nope!

Yes

Hit buried cable that stopped me instantly - Dislocated Shoulder
Roosted by friend - Lacerated upper lip - 4-5 stitches...
A bunch of scrapes and bruises - have you ever gotten the hole shot and then have 39 guys run over you in the first turn? :)

A. Dislocated Shoulder at 15 yrs
B. Facial Laceration at 28 years

By the way, when you go to the emergency room - always say you were skateboarding or roller blading - that way they won't use statistics to ban the sport! Also, if you say you fell off a ladder at home - your insurance company doesn't come to you asking whose property you were on or if you were competing in a race... :(

Jeff

male

dirt bikes very often.....

m/c's only

yes

C1-C2 fracture... broken neck... 1995 33yrs old
lh collar bone 2007 45 yrs old

am now 47 will ride always !!!!!!!!!!

ORV Injury Survey
Male

Dirt Bike? 1

ATV? 2

UTV? 3

Off-road only 4x4 (rock crawler, racer)? 2

Yes

4 If yes, what type of injury or injuries did you receive while using an Off Road Vehicle? Broken Collar Bone, 20 years old. Torn MCL/ACL right knee, 21 years old. Torn Miniscus right knee, 30 years old

5 What was your age (or ages if multiple) when you received your injuries? See above

1. Male
2. m/c's only Very often.
3. Injuries, yes!
4. broken wrist @ age 18
compund tib. - fib. @ age 50.
countless bruises, contusions and lacerations in between and since.

5. See above.

Currently 54 yrs. old Riding for 38 years.

1. Male
2. m/c's only Very often.
3. Injuries few
4. broken wrist age 19
bruised tail bone @ age 50.

Currently 56 yrs and I ride 1-2 times a week. I've been riding for 44 years.

ORV Injury Survey
1 What is your gender? x Male x Female

Dirt Bike? Very often

ATV?

UTV?

Off-road only 4x4 (rock crawler, racer)? Very often 20 years ago

Broken ribs 14
Broken collar bone 18
Broken ribs 22
Torn right Knee 27
Shattered Heel 40
Broken ribs 39
Torn left knee 41
Torn ankle 44

5 What was your age (or ages if multiple) when you received your injuries?[/QUOTE]

ORV Injury Survey

Female

Dirt Bike? Very often

ATV? Never

UTV? Never

Off-road only 4x4 (rock crawler, racer)? Never

Yes

Torn right ACL, MCL, meniscus (34-surgically repaired)
Broken left ankle (36)
Broken right foot (38?)
Broken left wrist, ribs, concussion (37-surgically repaired with fixator from hell)
Separated right shoulder
Torn rotator cuff/impingement/bone deterioration thingy left shoulder (33)
Torn ligament/torn tendon front brake finger (30, maybe?)
Broken ribs (several times over the course of 20+ years of riding...do they even count?)
Broken left wrist-again (40 maybe?)
Torn left ACL (41-surgically repaired)
Torn groin muscle and severe head injury (43)
broken left ankle-again (45-surgically repaired w/2 plates and 13 screws, hardware removed 3 days ago)
Various and assorted hematomas, strained this-and-thats, bumps and bruises

I think that's about it.

Ages listed in parentheses, although some of the dates are really hazy.

It would be interesting to see the outcome of this survery. Good luck to your son.

WoodsChick

ORV Injury Survey

Dirt Bike? 1

ATV? 3

UTV? 3

Off-road only 4x4 (rock crawler, racer)? 3

3 If yes have you ever received moderate or severe injuries while using an Off Road Vehicle? Yes

Dislocated right knee, torn MCL/ACL and meniscus.

5 What was your age (or ages if multiple) when you received your injuries? 32

1 male
2 dirt bike 1
4x4 mud/pull truck? 2
atv/utv 3
3 yes
4 cracked kneecap twice age 11 and 12
broken collarbone now age 37 :eek:

Back