How much time do you spend on maintenance of your bike?

Front Royalty

How much time would you say your bike requires in maintenance per 25 hours of riding?

Am I the only one who has put as many hours into working on my bike as I have riding it?

How much time would you say your bike requires in maintenance per 25 hours of riding?

Am I the only one who has put as many hours into working on my bike as I have riding it?
The nicer the bike, the more time I spend on it. My KX gets no love, other than basic maintenance. I do clean the chain thoroughly, after each ride. Doesn't amount to much...an hour here & there. I did pull apart the rear suspension assembly upon purchase, to grease & inspect. I've never been OCD on the overall cleanliness of a bike. I have cut back to only cleaning the air filter...to when it actually needs it:D

Yeah I've never been able to make an old bike look new again. It takes hours to get it close and only seconds to restore it back to its filthy status so for me I only do maintenance as required, and clean it to get it to an acceptable state (clean, but not immaculate). Its not uncommon to lose a whole day in the shed tinkering though. It seems like almost every other week theres something to clean, lube, replace, realign, or service so even though I don't think I'm over the top I still spend a fair bit of time in the shed. The catch being the more time you spend riding, the more time you have to spend servicing - these combined make it feel like you spend all your time on the bike.

Just trying to get a feel for what everyone else has had to do. Ive had to repair/replace quite a few things that should not nearly have to be replaced this soon. I prefer not to go into details but the list is half maintenance, half premature failure. I think i may have purchased a tempremental little bugger.

My next bike is going to be a Victory Highball :D

Go into detail! We're all up for the good and the bad.

You also need to specify are we talking 25 race hours, or 25 trail hours. I average 30km/hr as I tend to only cruise on the transport sections and the rest is 2nd/3rd gear singles. That means in 25hrs I'd cover around 750kms. Say around 7 decent trail days, or about 2 months time. In that I'd be dropping the trans oil at least once. Changing a real wheel at least once. Probably doing around 7 airfilters. Have both wheels off at least once to repack the grease under the seals and make sure the axles slide in and out easily. Realistically suspension should be serviced around the 25hr mark aswell and definitely would be if you were racing. Trail riders tend to stretch this out. Brake pads maybe depending on conditions and brand of pads.

Then you get into wear and tear damage. Broken levers, tweaked pipes, busted pipe mounts, torn seat covers, smashed bark busters, etc.

Thats on a bike thats already truly dialled in too. For a new bike you start adding in time for tunining suspension, getting to know the bike, ironing out any Gas Gas related quirks, and jetting and it can seriously feel like you're pushing shit uphill. The light at the end of the tunnel is that once you've got one of these bikes dialled you'll see many hours of trouble free riding following the maintenance schedule above.

But how will I sell this beautiful bike once it puts me over the edge if I share with the public my trials and tribulations? :D

Depends on the age of the bike, and who maintained it before you if it's secondhand..

My older gasser needs more maintenance hrs spent on it now than it used to, but then I'd rather spend the time getting it ready in the garage than spending time by the side of the trail fixing stuff I'd put off! Something some of my friends never used to grasp!:eek::D

I am a little weird when it come to my bike maintenance. I use a 4 prong approach: I guess it come from all my years in the transportation field while in the Marine Corps. Being combat ready is a big deal:D

1. Cleaning = can't find problems with a dirty bike, muck hides problems

2. Inspection = Keep a note pad handy during the cleaning process to write down issues and concerns you find during cleaning.

3. Corrective Mantenance = Corrective maintanence is identifiing a fault;
Why did the wheel bearing fail? no gease? Wore out wheel seal? Missing master link? Chain not aligned properly? Chain rubbing on chain guide? Pipe rattling?

4. Perventitve Maintenance = Setting up a plan to inspect, service and replace items on the bike to prevent from failing under normal operations. Replace brake pads, bleed / replace brake fliud, replace piston / rings, reed pedal inspection.

I spent more time cleaning after a ride. If I race a 2 hour harescramble, then I will spend at least 6-8 hours on my maintenance program.

I spend several hours washing, detailing my bikes after riding or racing. I use a pressure washer, Dawn dish soap, Simple Green to get the muck off.

Before a wash the seat is removed, air filter is removed and a cover goes on to keep water out of the intake track, seat back on and I wash. I keep my note pad handy to make notes of damaged items (if any) while I am washing the bikes. I use a fine and very fine green / brown pads to scrub the entire bike. I do it this way, for example; clean each spoke, (take note if I find any loose spokes, brake pad wear) I will also lay the bike on it's side and clean the entire under carriage and also perform inspection. I will remove the tank / shrouds and wash the back bone of the frame as well, this also serves as a inspection of all the wiring under the tank area.

I use my air compressor to blow dry the bike

If I see corrision on push / pull connection for wiring, I will make a note and during my maintenance phase correct the problem, by using a small rifle / pistol bore brush cleaner to brush off corrosion, reapply electrical grease.

The owners manual has a section of items that should be checked and how often. This is a great tool to use. I think most people just think that they don't need to refer to this section, because they think they know it all:eek:

Others it could be very helpful for one to build an checklist of items to look at either after the bike has been cleaned or before the next ride.

I like to use my summer break to do a complete tear down, regrease, inspect, replace, items that have high failure rate. Which on a GasGas is not much! My Yamaha, has been pretty solid so far.

I will spend as much time as I need in the evenings to work on both bikes. It is easy for me, as my wife and I have no kids at home, in college or working, but have all moved on.

I don't concern myself with how many hours I work on my bike. I will turn on the radio in the shop close the doors and be just fine working on the bike....replacing safety wire is relaxing!!!:D

I like for my bikes to look good, perform and be ready to ride when I unload it off the trailer.

I have said this before, I will say it again, my GasGas EC 200 has been the best rock solid bike I have ever owned. It is 13 + plus years old and it is still a very soild machine, having a solid maintenance program helped maintain the bike what it is today.

If you don't put in any time into it, don't expect it to last!

Sorry for the rant, but taking a little pride in your machine goes a long way:D

Totally agree you can't see a problem if its covered in dirt.. but scrubbing every inch of the bike with a scourer, every single spoke.. after every single ride.. Not for me :) I dont have that much time.

Truck wash on. Have a beer. Scrub Scrub Scrub. Have a beer. Hose it off. Have a beer. Then start it up. Bring it to temp. Run it on the stand. Lube the chain and any other pivots or connections that need it. Done. The days leading up to the next ride I do an entire front to rear checking that the bike starts, brake pads, air filters, oil levels, coolant etc are all within spec so that the bike is ready to roll. I personally find the real difference between the bike looking good and looking great is a can of silicone spray!

Just spray the bike down with motor oil. Then she'll really shine! Ive gotten away from doing the spot treatment on mine, too many other items that need attention!

If you have never seen Rick's bike, it's absolutely mint for a '99!

My system starts when the bike comes home from the dealer. In addition to the basic and obvious stuff, I do a lot of evaluation and custom stuff to make my life(and the bike's) easier and speed basic maintenance. Electricals and waterproofing get particular attention. The steeing head gets a steel collar and extra oring for a positive seal. Forks get a seal grease packed cord fitted under the wiper to trap anything that gets past the wiper. I make hardened sleeve wheel spacers, use Ironman sprockets, and in general do things that increase durability. I rarely have problems. With a tight bike, I wash with a hose, Simple Green, and a few different brushes and rags. Compressor blow dry, start and run around the hood to dry brakes, and a carefull spray down with WD40. Bike Spirits on the plastic. I'll also put a fan on the floor blowing air over the bike in cooler of damp weather to help it dry faster. Takes me an hour. Filter, oil, fastener check, damage assessment the next night. Fix or improve anything I can before next weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I do airfilters oil changes chain lube most of the normal stuff. Not terribly anal about cleaning. As of late I have been riding 2 times a week . So complete cleaning isn't really worth it. Spray off the mud make sure there isnt any new leaks or broke or near broke parts. Gas it up for the next day.

I wash it with a pressure washer low pressure i use acid / caustic 2step system I have at my shop . I sell pressure washers so i have an advantage in cleaning knowledge , then oil as needed and have my one mechanic go over it as needed . It is at that time I like having employees !

I've spent more hours going over my bike, this week...more time than I prolly spent in 6 months, on 2 bikes. I wasn't taking any chances for a 100 mi race. Now all that's in the toilet due to my vehicle's soon-to-blow trans. Oh Well, at least I'll be ready to race April 14th...and much closer to home:D

I'm with Rick on this one. I find it difficult to get my bike 100% ready in two weeks!:eek: Peace of mind, you don't want any nasty surprises half way through a race and 10 miles from the nearest help.

I must have the two best Gassers in the world. The 300 has >5k miles.....I keep the air filter clean, the oil clear and the chain clean and greasy. Replaced the O'rings due to bubbles in coolant tank, that's it. I trail ride or do the dirt roads most every day so cleaning is not an option, she's always dirty. I also have no dents in the pipe, bars are straight and the only tear in the seat came from it falling over and hitting my hand truck. Stupid kickstand. My forks don't leak and all bearings seem fine. She starts second kick every time. 32:1 on the oil, synthetic only,,,Red Line, Mercury PWC or Amsoil Dominator. I do change the plug way more than it needs......if I pull it to look at it she gets a new one or a blasted clean one from the pile of removed ones. She's never fouled one. Has alloy water pump impeller and flywheel weight. Did not like the big power valve cover.

The 450 has 1825 miles. Same as 300.....keep air filter clean, oil clear, chain clean and greasy. No issues or problems at all. Except I can't kick start it....no one has been able to, yet. I know I should at least check the valves.....I was a mechanic in a former life (was decent I was told) but it just seems like soooooo much trouble :).

Wife's CRF 230L Honda gets the same treatment....she's got 2200 miles.

I have friends who keep their bikes spotless, grease and lube everything after every ride or so, and they think I neglect my bikes. I laugh at them. They have no less problems than I do and spend a lot more time cleaning and worrying than I do. If my air filter, oil and chain are clean it takes me about 2 minutes to determine if I need "maintenance" instead of going for a ride. I enjoy riding my bikes not cleaning or working on them. I never have parts failures! Seriously, I have never had a bearing failure of any type. My Bunny ('97 CR250) blew a crank bearing after 25 miles in 100 degree weather after following Helen putting through the woods, but Hell, Bunny was bad ass and had more work to her than I could describe....she was rabid and deserved an new heart.

When I bought the 300 I was very worried about how much maintenance would be needed to keep it alive. Turns out, not a bit more than a Honda or any other bike I've owned.

I love both the 450 and 300 and in the last 45 years have had the opportunity to ride and own a whole bunch of bikes.....I worked at a Kawasaki dealership.........the Gas Gas are special. There are "better" bikes I'm sure, but for me, I'm done. I'll own a Gas Gas until it's impossible to do so either from health (not likely) or because it can't be fixed!

Again, I do not race but do put a lot of miles on them in the woods and my pace is not "slow" but not "fast" either.

Laugh if you want but I expect 10K miles before I have to do or plan to do anything "major" to the 300.......that's when I'll look at all the bearings and maybe do fork seals if they do not leak before then. She'll get rings when she gets tired and needs it....right now it would be a complete waste of money.......Ting Ting is very fast and strong. I really can envision 10k before rings.

The number in my mind for the 450 is 5K for the same thing and a valve check. Unless of course I get worried about the valves for some reason
Ed

Laugh if you want but I expect 10K miles before I have to do or plan to do anything "major" to the 300.......that's when I'll look at all the bearings and maybe do fork seals if they do not leak before then. She'll get rings when she gets tired and needs it....right now it would be a complete waste of money.......Ting Ting is very fast and strong. I really can envision 10k before rings.

There are always many variables at play, and I agree, keeping a bike looking new and clean is very different to keeping a bike maintained.

I can tell you though, run 6-12 months here in the tropics without pulling your linkage to regrease the bearings and they will fail. Same goes for wheel bearings.

Engine wise, 16 000kms is a long haul. I'm confident that the engine could do it, but it would be out of spec by the time you got there and you might not have noticed the loss of performance. Ring end gap will be beyond where it should be. Skirt wear increases. Both wear the cylinder more than it would otherwise. IMO I maintain it before it needs it so when I venture out I'm confident that its as reliable as it could be. The longer you let it go, the greater the chances of something failing.

You can keep your linkage tight by simply using all orings, in any conditions. I just bought a low hour KX125 I'm going through for my son, did the same thing to it. Some orings are the same as used on the GG.

Piston skirt fatigue is what I think about @ 100+ hrs., 250 pistons still come out looking fine but thats a lot of time. What gets me sometimes is why some guys do rings only? I have NEVER had a GG250 with ring wear that required replacement, it was always the piston hrs. as mentioned. Maybe its the 36:1 ratio that some scoff at.

Back