Hyde Skidplate

firffighter

I have been debating over what skidplate to run on my "new" '05 Gasser. After running many different brands of aluminum skidplates, I decided to try the Hyde plastic skidplate.

Install was not too bad, not any more difficult than others IMO. The fit is great and it looks great having the black plastic along side the black barkbusters, frame guards, etc. I also like how light it is and I shouldn't get that "tink" sound when hitting rocks.

I really think it will work well for NW woods riding as we are always going up and over wet stumps, logs and rocks.

Now, just need to get a chance to ride! Weather is not cooperating at all here in Oregon!

I love my Hyde skid plate! I think it looks MUCH better than any of the alumnium plates and it actually covers more of the motor parts. The newest version fits my 2011 like a glove although the initial installation was a tiny bit tricky. I'm 110% satisfied with mine and would recommend it to anyone without hesitation.

have you guys busted the mounts on the expansion chamber yet? i really like the coverage of the hyde but cannot find anything that will stay put, i just snapped off my banding again last weekend

I have been using hyde guards for a few years now and they are good. But i would recommend that you use some thick zip ties instead of the bracket at the back of the guard. They seem to hold a lot better than the clamp.

I also cut some radiator hose and wrap the frame rails with it so that i can then use the original GG guard mount (it has nyloc nuts) instead of the hyde mount which does not have nylock nuts

Hose on frame rails is a big +1.

The fact that I have the same pipe for three years in rock country says something. Despite the mud scooping and hassle of R&R its still the best protection based on how well my bike looks on the bottom.

For a better Hyde:

You have to make your own mounts. I used the stainless stock mounts for material, cut, heat and re-shaped to fit. The sprocket side rear is simply a straight piece that spans the corner of the frame rails over the bolt hole like a small T bar. The right side is a "Z" shape that pulls tight over the smaller outboard frame rail. For the front, the stock T-bar is used with a .25" thk stainless stiffener across the middle. All hardware in M6, clipnuts are used on the rear mounts, the T-bar is tapped. Spacers are used up front so the mount cannot be overtightened, and captured on the bolts by o-rings to ease installation. The plate itself is drilled and metal inserts bonded in for durability. High temp silicone rubber strips are used for the header pipe contact areas, along with regular hose clamps, not the goofy M5 stud clamp that comes with it. Enlarging the drain plug hole is optional, skid plate foam is a must to avoid mud packing.

With just a bit more thought into re-engineering the mounting system, this product will be at the next level. The stock stuff is really poor, like they had some part time kid design it. Its not that hard to fix though.

yes forgot about that drain hole, best to open it up to the size of a toilet roll inner so you can slide the inner in and over the sump plug and then remove the plug and you do not get any oil on the guard.

your definition of who designs the stuff could be fairly accurate. Hyde is a family run business in a tiny town in south africa. I think they started by making protective gear for lumber jacks and then moved on to bikes as terrence hyde is a v keen biker. It is the kind of town where you cannot get anything done on a wednesday afternoon because they are all involved in farm rugby league training!

Interesting. Mine does not fit the pipe well at all. There is large gap between the bottom of the pipe and the guard. I do like the idea though. Hardware is not up to par in my opinion as well.

I'm interested in hearing about his product- when i looked at the pix on-line i thought"wow, that's fugly, i wonder if it works?" but went with the scorpian aluminum since i know that they hold up to riding in the colorado rockies.It is great to see these companies come up with these new products- for Gas Gas no less!

Interesting. Mine does not fit the pipe well at all. There is large gap between the bottom of the pipe and the guard. I do like the idea though. Hardware is not up to par in my opinion as well.

are you fitting this to a 2010 OR 11 model? as I'm pretty sure they don't make one for these yet but is surpose to coming soon, there early model will fit but does leave gap between the pipe and guard. Ive fitted one to my 2011 and it is like that, will just sell it when they make the new model. I really like these guards and didnt want to risk not having one while I wait, also it helps heaps if you cut a good sized hole in the guard between the pipe and the front bracket so you can get your hand in there to hold that bracket when fitting.

Who cares what it looks like! It prevents your pipe from getting crushed! I've had mine on for 3 seasons and it is holding up fine. No dents in my pipe! I would rather have no dents if I have to put up with "fugly" looks and a bit of mud to carry and clean out. I've never had trouble cleaning out mine.

best combo is hyde skid plate and P3 carbon fibre zorst guard

the skid plate is mold will fit 2010/11 but mounting points and drain hole may need adjustment

I have always run a Moose aluminum pipe guard. They are very thick and protect very well. Never had a problem.

I now have the bike all armored up, with skidplate, pipe guard and rad guards, but still no where to ride due to crummy weather. Might get a chance to get out this Friday. Keeping fingers crossed.

They are a bitch to form, but decent protection. Still lacks header bend protection like any separate pipeguard. What might be easy and cheap to do though is tie the pipeguard to the skidplate with some aluminum bar stock. You can Tig the pipe side and bolt the plate side for easy removal.

Who cares what it looks like! It prevents your pipe from getting crushed! I've had mine on for 3 seasons and it is holding up fine. No dents in my pipe! I would rather have no dents if I have to put up with "fugly" looks and a bit of mud to carry and clean out. I've never had trouble cleaning out mine.

Sorry if i offended you Cladoo!
Since i'm a girl i care about the looks of my bike-and I am VERY serious about preformance. But in my opinion the 2011 Gas Gas is such a thing of beauty why mar it with a space alien looking thing if it doesn't appeal to you? If you think it's cool and it protects as you say it does- bravo!:) I just like the looks and function of the aluminum skidplate and pipe guard.

Back