jd red vs ddl

bally123

Anyone know how these compare early on. Particulary in the straight section diameter and taper length. The jd blue is too rich and sputtery down low and dont have a jd red to try. but thinking a ddl will be worth a try.

Thanks Andy.

DDL is one straight dia leaner than JD Blue. 1.705 same as F dia OEM needles.

What carb? JD Blue rich in the newer carbs, good in the older AS1. The Red is unusable in an older carb except at high altitude, way too lean. If your slightly rich with a Blue in an older carb, check your slide. You need a #7 unless very high altitude. Other than that try working with NExx and N3xx series in F and G dia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi glenn.

#7 slide in an older as1. Bike is 250 2005. Ddk has been best so far bu idle is still too rich. Air screw way out with 42 pilot. Thought ddl might clean up idle and help to get airscrew working! The Ddk holds straight dia for longer which removes the 1/8 th throttle sputter i get with jd blue. Will look at needles you suggested if ddl doesnt improve things.

Thanks andy

Could be that your carb nozzle is worn slightly being the bike is older. Verify the float height as well. DDKs are close is every 250 I've had. Try the DDL, it's cheap. Try the others as well. The NECF in my bike is especially good, very strong off the bottom, smooth idle, and smooth midrange. The leaner dia. in this series were terrible. If you like smooth power work with this series in the F and maybe G dia. I'm running a 45 pilot and 178 main with these, a 180/182 main with the JD Blue or DDx .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

With DDL Idle is as good as its ever been it will now idle for long periods. Air screw doesnt make much difference to idle unless below 1 turn and bike stalls. It seems positive but will have a proper run tommorrow and see what happens. On the downside idling on its stand it will bog if i snatch throttle hard from idle.

Andy

Go up to a 45 pilot. Your too far in on the idle speed and pulling over on the needle dia. Bog off idle is a hair lean condition on pilot ckt. All of my 250s run 45 pilot summer. 48 spring/fall.

Hi Glenn

Tried the bike today (with 45 pilot) and found the low throttle sputter has gone using the DDL, seems like the larger needle dia has helped here. Idle was ok, a bit low and close to stalling but I wanted to avoid the temptation of over screwing the idle screw.

Running the 45 pilot:
In the morning it was ok for throttle response in Sunny weather conditions AP 1014mb and humidity 65%,
This afternoon weather changed dramatically, cold wet windy - 1010mb and 95% humidity - bike acted a little lean, hanging idle and a slight bog when throttle snapped open.

Happy with performance at 1/4 throttle and more - bike pulls hard and smooth. Besides my usage does not require a lot of flat out work so I am not so concerned with optimizing the upper throttle positions.

As far as I can tell I think the slide was set about 1mm up on the idle screw - considering trying a 48 pilot next. Also suspecting the squish needs sorting as the bike is so sensitive to weather conditions - Hopefully that would give more consistent running.

What is a good compression ratio to shoot for given 98ron pump fuel? (I am more familiar with the Japanese way of quoting corrected ratio based on swept vol above ex port height)

Andy

Back