Looking for cheap 200/250/300 "learner"

pscook

Platinum Level Site Supporter
My nephew wants to move from his XR400 to a two-stroke. I have been trying to get him pointed at a GG, but there aren't any good examples up here in his price range (~$1k). If anyone knows of a reasonably priced two-stroke in the 200-300 flavor, and the bike is reasonably close to Washington State (or cheap as chips to ship), please let me know. I am willing to take on a project and add some coin to his kitty for repairs or upgrades, so don't be shy. It can be a KDX, RMX, WR250, or even a KTM. Just looking for something for him to cut his teeth on that won't drain his new bike fund or make him feel bad if he doesn't like it and I have to buy it back from him.

There's been some kdx's lately in our area[seattle] that would qualify then when he gets faster he can build one of these out of it.:D

Attachments

• 2005 hybrid.jpg
    2005 hybrid.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 29
There's been some kdx's lately in our area[seattle] that would qualify then when he gets faster he can build one of these out of it.:D

The KDX's I have seen don't look as attractive as I want them to (read: I'm cheap). But we might have a deal with a trade for the XR400 into a 250 EXC. Possibly. But, he knows what he wants and a 200 or 220 doesn't fit into those plans. Which is too bad, because I want him to get one so I can borrow it and see what the fuss is all about. :D

The KDX's I have seen don't look as attractive as I want them to (read: I'm cheap). But we might have a deal with a trade for the XR400 into a 250 EXC. Possibly. But, he knows what he wants and a 200 or 220 doesn't fit into those plans. Which is too bad, because I want him to get one so I can borrow it and see what the fuss is all about. :D
I have made appt to go look at KDX & KX today. I'll let you know what happens. The KDX is especially nice...(fingers crossed, that it's worth the effort).

Both KDXs a bust. Going after the KX(the most practical...I have a ton of parts). I hate Craigslist freaks.

Both KDXs a bust. Going after the KX(the most practical...I have a ton of parts). I hate Craigslist freaks.

Waiting to hear back with the price on the wife's coworker's bike. He still has the bike, but it might not be anything too much less than the original price. I'll let you know.

Did you see the 98 220 in tacoma come up today 248 original miles. bet it could be had for cheap I'd buy it if I had the money.:D

Waiting to hear back with the price on the wife's coworker's bike. He still has the bike, but it might not be anything too much less than the original price. I'll let you know.
I just rolled in, with a beater '98 KX250. It's fugly...I have plastics, tall seat etc. Runs pretty good, shifts like it's supposed to. It needs to be stripped down, my suspension bolted on, plus a few other touches. It'll be a 30 footer(looks good @ 30'). The asking price $1200...I'm in it substantially less. With misc new parts, I might reach $1000, That's all I'll have into it. Oh yea, got good papers with it.

Did you see the 98 220 in tacoma come up today 248 original miles. bet it could be had for cheap I'd buy it if I had the money.:D
That was one of my poorer CL experiences to date. Something wasn't right, hence I do not own it. There was another 220 posted from lake Tapps, also not a good situation(don't have either). I'll be better off with The KX I bought. Dirt cheap, reliable. I just might flog it through the mud at Round 3 of the winter G.P. series. pscook & I rode round 2, last Sunday. His 3rd place trophy is on my mantle, 'cause he needed to go right after. Fun stuff.

Craigslist is a cesspool. In looking for used stuff, try to stick to places like here, and the classifieds of the local racing association. The class of people is much higher and post transaction contact, either on the forum or in person at the events, keeps things honest.

Craigslist is a cesspool. In looking for used stuff, try to stick to places like here, and the classifieds of the local racing association. The class of people is much higher and post transaction contact, either on the forum or in person at the events, keeps things honest.
I agree completely. I have only had a couple bad experiences(yesterday was the worst ever). However, I have the cheap gene, so into the pool I go:rolleyes:

That was one of my poorer CL experiences to date. Something wasn't right, hence I do not own it. There was another 220 posted from lake Tapps, also not a good situation(don't have either). I'll be better off with The KX I bought. Dirt cheap, reliable. I just might flog it through the mud at Round 3 of the winter G.P. series. pscook & I rode round 2, last Sunday. His 3rd place trophy is on my mantle, 'cause he needed to go right after. Fun stuff.

Bummer on the 98 it looked good in the photos I scored a 99 220 with a new piston, new tires and a bunch of stuff off of there for 800.00 and have been selling the parts I didn't need for my hybrid now I'm down to about 500.00 into it.:D

There are cheap entry level bikes all over, in the Puget Sound region, right now. The problem: People think their wrung out junk is worth a fortune. If a person knows what they're doing, some of said junk can the proverbial "diamond in the rough"

This is my diamond, in the rough. 1998 KX250. Gobs of power, compared to my '95 KX, which is donating plastics & tall seat this week. Rode her today, through Tahuya's finest single-track. I won't do that again, 'till I get handguards on her(too many close calls). I'm in it right at $1100 including new parts, paperwork, purchase, etc. It was sorta fun winding her up like 125, but a FWW would be nice. There's got to be some hidden H.P. in the blingy gold wheelset...:D

http://

That is a good option, but if it doesn't say "300" on the bike, he's not interested. Have already passed up a couple of good options, just looking for the Goldilocks version.
Stop & get some mailbox stickers 3-0-0, and done:D Planning on takin' the hotrod to Walker, this Saturday. If the nephew could abuse himself for an hour or 2, on a 250...he might change his mind. I'll stick a 3-0-0 on the side, to make it tempting.

Stop & get some mailbox stickers 3-0-0, and done:D Planning on takin' the hotrod to Walker, this Saturday. If the nephew could abuse himself for an hour or 2, on a 250...he might change his mind. I'll stick a 3-0-0 on the side, to make it tempting.

I'll let Brad know you will be there, but I can't as I am taking off the weekend of the 2nd/3rd for motorcycles. Don't want to spend any collateral before I get to my big events.

Back