Making an EC300 into a trials bike?

well i see why your having so much trouble getting it to be more trials like!!!!!!! YA FERGOT TO TAKE YER SEAT OFF!!!! :D just kiddin, but sweet pics!

Fit a P3 carbon fiber exhaust guard (if your event is more than 2 months away ;-) and a trials bike fan if you planning an extreme event you want the engine to run properly the whole time although waiting for a bike to stop boiling is a good way to disguise exhaustion

I never have crashed a chamber too bad, and I have a few spares, but I thought of welding on another mount on the left side of the chamber/frame to stop it wrapping around the frame from crashing.

Taking the rear fender brace out was good as I can step off the back of the bike easily like a trials bike, but the back of the seat/frame is harsh if I don't step off far enough!

Just a quick update.

I am running a 12/52 gearing combo now. Forks are pushed through the clamps until they almost touch the bars. Bars are rolled back and make a difference as well.

With plenty of dragging the rear brake I can ride a complete circle on full lock. Trying to enter a trials event as they are talking about running a trail bike class in it. But I wouldn't just mind trying to ride C-grade against the trials bikes and see how far off the field I am.

Might shorten the chain a link too next. Power valve cover will go on today and still need to make a flywheel weight (mine is not like the early US bikes that can bolt on the flywheel.).

I guess it could be fun, depending on how tight a turning circle you will need. My TLR250 twinshock would turn at near 90 degrees on full lock, and the trials sections I was riding at the time (classic / twinshock) often required full lock turns....

Nah, actually I'll rephrase that. It won't be fun. Going that slow is not fun.Yawn. It may be age appropriate, and it may be nice to return to the car for a cup of tea and a scone between each round, and it may be amusing to see grumpy old coots wearing berets on their bald heads drop their shiny BSA Bantams in the creek, but it ain't fun. In fact, looking back, the biggest regret I have about all the time I spent doing trials is the fact that I could have been having 10 times more fun on a decent bike fanging around like an out-of-control dickhead teenager (much like I do now - long may it last!)

ouch thats harsh!!! ... I have a beta 200 .... if it was the only bike I had I wouldn't be too bummed out ..... all that time on that trials bike made you a much better trail rider ....

The Harley Club of Victoria ran a trials event last weekend and also had a 'trail/enduro bike' class.

Only three of us turned up, EC300, CRF250X, KTM450EXC, but we all had a blast! 10 sections x 4 times made for plenty of riding in the hot sun.

I took 12 points on my first 10 sections, then 14 (inc a 5 pointer for falling off) and then 6 & 5 respectively. You have to learn to put your foot down and spin the bike, dropping only 1 point instead of trying to stay off the ground and ending up paddling through losing 3 points.

The club guys were real helpful showing us lines and even the A-grade riders didn't mind us getting in the way, usually offering for us to have a go at a section before them.

I will do another one of these events. The 12/52 gearing helped, but next time I might cut down the front guard so I can see the tire contact the ground like on a trials bike.

Pics are here of the event.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.202797986447945.49721.173307266063684&type=1

Back