My '11 XC 300-E maiden voyage initial impressions.

Krieg

I finally got to ride the new GG today! Mother Nature cooperated in Chester, SC and we loaded up the bikes and rode at TNT Motorsports for 5 hours. 60 degrees and partly cloudy skies. Couldn't have been better for a southern Winter ride!

I'll cut to the chase and boil my first impression down to one statement: "Wow, this is exactly what I remembered about riding my buddy's '08 300!"

Now, what does that mean?...

• The best handling feel of any woods bike I've ever ridden.
  • VERY predictable handling characteristics... confidence inspiring... bike handles like it has a direct wire into your brain.
  • Bike feels much lighter than it is.

New good stuff I've noticed on the '11 model:

• Best front brakes I've ever ridden. Bar none. No grab, smooth engagement, predictable progression, light pull. I hardly used the rear brakes.
  • Best clutch I've ever ridden. Bar none. Buttery smooth, light pull, perfect engagement. I've honestly never felt a better clutch.
  • E-start worked flawlessly. Very nice feature for old fat guys like me. And yes, it started in one or two kicks with the young man lever!

I'll withhold most jetting comments for a later post since I was riding in "break-in" mode with a 40:1 mixture. However, I'm 90% sure the stock needle will be replaced. I'm also "working through" a blubbery off-idle situation that is pretty annoying. So far, I'm down one pilot from stock and 1 clip leaner on the needle... with slight improvement. Stay tuned.

One definite con... the rear brake lever position needs work. Too high in relation to the footpeg. It just ain't where your brain thinks it should be. Thankfully the front brake works so well!

And one absolutely inexcusable blunder... the rear tire is absolutely, without a doubt, the biggest POS abomination I've ever seen on a new bike! At first, I thought it was me. But after the third ride, through various terrains ranging from rocks to roots to ruts to NC clay mud... this tire simply refused to bite into anything. Given the overall outstanding handling characteristics of this bike, I can't wait to feel what it's like with a real rear tire. Spain must be getting some major discounts from Metzeler.

Suspension worked well with stock settings. But it needs to be broken-in to give a fair assessment. Again, you have to remember I'm an old fat guy who will never ride this bike close to its capability.

Like I said, stay tuned. This was just a shakedown cruise. The bike needs to be broken-in to give a 100% fair assessment. I also plan to compare the XC to my '09 Husky WR 300.

So tomorrow morning when you wake up and wonder why your face hurts so much... well it cuz you were smiling in your sleep all night.:D

Congrats. On your new ride.

I cut about a 1/4" off the back brake rod so it would lower the pedal.

I found standing it was even worse. Now all you have to do is post up some pictures.

Hey Krieg I've been waiting for your ride report and it sounds about like I thought it would go. I thought you would like the handling, light weight feeling, and the awesome clutch. You have me re-thinking the estart option. As suggested just cut a little off the rear brake bolt and it will feel a lot better I was hoping the stock rear tire would be better than the 2010 but it sounds like it's still a miss. Once the engine is broken in and you sort the jetting I think you gonna love the smooth broad power the 300 lays down. Well I look forward to your Husky vs GasGas ride report. Enjoy!

Well done Krieg ... I do believe you've been converted. Now just pass the message on to Geno :D

I finally got to ride the new GG today! Mother Nature cooperated in Chester, SC and we loaded up the bikes and rode at TNT Motorsports for 5 hours. 60 degrees and partly cloudy skies. Couldn't have been better for a southern Winter ride!

I'll cut to the chase and boil my first impression down to one statement: "Wow, this is exactly what I remembered about riding my buddy's '08 300!"

• VERY predictable handling characteristics... confidence inspiring... bike handles like it has a direct wire into your brain.

• Best front brakes I've ever ridden. Bar none. No grab, smooth engagement, predictable progression, light pull. I hardly used the rear brakes.
  • Best clutch I've ever ridden. Bar none. Buttery smooth, light pull, perfect engagement. I've honestly never felt a better clutch.
  • E-start worked flawlessly. Very nice feature for old fat guys like me. And yes, it started in one or two kicks with the young man lever!

Yep!

And one absolutely inexcusable blunder... the rear tire is absolutely, without a doubt, the biggest POS abomination I've ever seen on a new bike! At first, I thought it was me. But after the third ride, through various terrains ranging from rocks to roots to ruts to NC clay mud... this tire simply refused to bite into anything. Given the overall outstanding handling characteristics of this bike, I can't wait to feel what it's like with a real rear tire. Spain must be getting some major discounts from Metzeler.

FIM/DOT tires designed to keep those sexy black rims off the ground, but street legal in most states :o

Like I said, stay tuned. This was just a shakedown cruise. The bike needs to be broken-in to give a 100% fair assessment. I also plan to compare the XC to my '09 Husky WR 300.

I'll withhold most jetting comments for a later post since I was riding in "break-in" mode with a 40:1 mixture. However, I'm 90% sure the stock needle will be replaced. I'm also "working through" a blubbery off-idle situation that is pretty annoying. So far, I'm down one pilot from stock and 1 clip leaner on the needle... with slight improvement. Stay tuned.

One definite con... the rear brake lever position needs work. Too high in relation to the footpeg. It just ain't where your brain thinks it should be. Thankfully the front brake works so well!

Suspension worked well with stock settings. But it needs to be broken-in to give a fair assessment. Again, you have to remember I'm an old fat guy who will never ride this bike close to its capability.

Good report...

I was able to cut about 5mm off the threads of the brake pushrod without removing it from the bike..with a cut off wheel..took 5 min I like to be able to reach for the rear brake....instead of having it under your toe all the time kinda smells funny after a while ?:eek:

Mine jetting was ok at 2000ft 70 F....but sucked at low temps High alt.....I did exactlly the same as you with jetting....yes the low end burble is annoying ......Did you get a different CHN needle in "the kit"

CCK (sudco) or N3EG N3CH (dealer)other options

Good report...

I was able to cut about 5mm off the threads of the brake pushrod without removing it from the bike..with a cut off wheel..took 5 min I like to be able to reach for the rear brake....instead of having it under your toe all the time kinda smells funny after a while ?:eek:

Mine jetting was ok at 2000ft 70 F....but sucked at low temps High alt.....I did exactlly the same as you with jetting....yes the low end burble is annoying ......Did you get a different CHN needle in "the kit"

CCK (sudco) or N3EG N3CH (dealer)other options
I didn't get two needles :confused: I may try a JD kit, although I haven't seen a whole lot of reports about JD's GG kits.

I didn't get two needles :confused: I may try a JD kit, although I haven't seen a whole lot of reports about JD's GG kits.

The CHN comes with the kit......the other two I listed are some "known to be good ones" from the jetting thread

I have them but my bikes are in the basement for winter....havent had a chance to try them yet

curious about the JD kit too...:confused:

I'd tell ya which one I used in my 300 from the JD kit...but my brain is just a little fuzzy this morning. errr I mean afternoon...whatever.
bonk.gif

I think it was the red needle 3rd clip and I left the main alone.

The CHN comes with the kit......the other two I listed are some "known to be good ones" from the jetting thread

I have them but my bikes are in the basement for winter....havent had a chance to try them yet

curious about the JD kit too...:confused:
I just pulled the trigger on ordering the JD kit. Stay tuned! :D

The JD Blue needle in #3 is perfect in my 250. Red was a bit lean to 1000', so I'm guessing it will be the best one for the 300. Like single taper C and D series needles, you want start up on the main a couple sizes from the stock triple taper needles.

Whats the verdict on the JD kit? Which one did you end up going for? The yz250, or generic? How'd it go set up wise?

My initial ride with the GG was exactly the same as yours, however I'm running the galfer wave rotor on the front. Pulls up so well.

Those tires give you a new found respect for FIM world enduro guys. Ive ridden both Michelin and Metzler FIM tires and they work about the same. Its just a product of the short knob hight requirment of the FIM. Thats what those guys flat tracking in all the world enduro vidoes have to deal with and why they are sideways all the time! Spain just doesn't know any better...lol

Cheers,

Rick

Whats the verdict on the JD kit? Which one did you end up going for? The yz250, or generic? How'd it go set up wise?

My initial ride with the GG was exactly the same as yours, however I'm running the galfer wave rotor on the front. Pulls up so well.
Haven't had time to mess with the JD kit yet. I got the GasGas kit out of ignorance. I guess I should have read more and gotten the YZ kit? If the weather ever cooperates down here, I'll be messing with the kit and stock needles and report back.

Those tires give you a new found respect for FIM world enduro guys. Ive ridden both Michelin and Metzler FIM tires and they work about the same. Its just a product of the short knob hight requirment of the FIM. Thats what those guys flat tracking in all the world enduro vidoes have to deal with and why they are sideways all the time! Spain just doesn't know any better...lol

Cheers,

Rick
Actually, I'm almost embarrased to admit this and I should have updated this earlier... But...

Several days after my maiden voyage, I was checking air pressure in all the bike tires including the Husky and Hodaka. When I got the the rear tire of the GasGas it had 28 PSI in it!!! :eek:

Now before you all start beating on me, this is usually one of the first things I check on a new bike when I get it home. In this case, I must have let it fall through the cracks or got distracted in the middle of my usual prep work. I may have been working on 3 bikes at the same time... whatever the case may be. But my initial impression of the rear Metzeler was not based on a fair analysis. I should have suspected something was going on, but I was too busy thinking about all the other things you think about while shaking down a new ride.

My bad. :o

I look forward to you next ride review and take on the Metzler's. I know the Michelin's on the 10's needed a lot of help. Oh... don't worry about the air pressure thing we have all done it. Heck the guys that work for me often drive my Super Duty trucks with 28 PSI when they should have 80!

The Metzelers on the 11s are way better than the Michelins on the 10s.

I will use up the Metzelers before I replace them. I refuse to ride at all with the Michelins. They are taken off as soon as the bike comes out of the crate.

Those FIM tires work really good in the rocks if you arent afraid to go very low on the pressure. Dont forget, they were designed to be used with Mousse and have very thin and flexy sidewalls.

Thanks Scotty it nice to know when I get the 2011 I won't have to replace a new tire like I did on the 2010.

Back