NECH needle

antsx

I was given a NECH needle off a mate today what I would like to know is how it compares to a N1EF where is it richer or leaner
Thanks Ant

From around 1/2 to WOT it'll be similar to the N1EF. The diameter and first taper is much much leaner. Its very a bit richer than the NEDJ/NECJ/NEDW/NECW needles you can read about in the jetting section. Should work well depending on your carb model.

If you have the older carb with a #7 slide that should be fairly close if its hot/humid or at a little altitude. I have that needle and its too lean on the diameter/first taper at sea level for max torque and feels flat. I tried to get F and G diameters in that series to play with as thats what my bikes prefer but they were backordered/NA. I just gave up on those and run the JD Blue as its as good as it gets until my Smartcarb shows up.;)

Im at sea level and its normally about 10?C but its snowing at the moment So 0?C and below. Im not going to change the needle until the snow has gone cos its hard enough to ride in the snow and its constantly spinning the back wheel and i wouldnt be abed to tell the difference. Do you think that the NECH will clean up idle as its not consistent with 40p air screw 1.5 N1EF clip 2 180 main altho Im still testing the mains need to go leaner Cos its a bit dull flat out. Any recommendations forwhat jets to start with the NECH
Thanks Ant

I have that same bike. Forget the NECH, I'll bet too lean on the dia. Get yourself a JD Blue needle. Position #3, 45 pilot (4 when it warms up), 180 - 182 main. The bike rips, so does my '12 with the same needle. Best needle IMO for 250 with that carb at low to mid altitude. Seems stable too, I only tweak the pilot/ air screw.

Take Glenns advice :D If he says the NExx needles are too lean on the older carbs then I believe him!

Jd needles are really dear I would have to buy the kit what needle is close to the jd blue ???
Thanks ant

In many cases I'd say the JD is not worth it, especially in the new carbs, but this is not one of them. I have over 50 needles and only run this one, it just works. The needle is sort of a cross between a single taper DDK and an N3EG. Its smoother than the N3EG though with good pull off the bottom. You can try working with the N3 while keeping your eyes open for a deal on a JD Blue. With all the SmartCarbs due to show up by May, there may be some available. BTW, JDBlue is the same needle in multiple kits, including the KTM 2stroke kits, so you have options.

There are lots of people here with the newer carbs that have gone with the JD Red needle. Its very possible you might be able to find someone willing to sell their blue needle at the right price too.

Back