Needles, needles, needles...

Terrence R

I've been doing a lot of reading on here about which needles are recommended. As elevations are a big factor, it's hard to narrow it down. I'm riding at sea level. 2012 EC300 Race model. Came with a 38p, 175 main, and JD red in clip 2. Plug looks a little too light. I put a 40p and a 180 main in. No noticeable difference. I moved the needle to position 3 and it burbled, so back to clip 2. For my riding, I think that the 07 RM needles are the ones I want. Which ones should I get though? I'm looking for something fairly rich as I ride at sea level. Thanx.

I just ordered the NEDW and a NEDK. Hopefully they put me in a good spot. Plug looks nicely tanned, except around the outer ring right before the threads. That apparently means that it's still a bit lean and I can occasionally hear a lean knock. I also ordered a 42 and a 45 pilot. The 45 is probably a bit too rich, but I'm not sure what I'll be getting into with these different needles. That red JD needle that's currently in there looks like a pencil. Not much of a taper.

Anyone ever try a N1JK needle? Just put one in and it was pretty dead down bottom, but exploded power all through the mids and highs. Like, wheelies in 6 gear with little effort! I think this needle may be out of a KX?:confused:. U guys think it may be too lean anywhere?

You are concerned of being lean and have bought a couple sizes larger on the pilot, but then purchases (and tried) a K diameter needle which is about 3 steps leaner than the JD red in the off idle to 1/8th throttle range.

Based on what you've been saying I would be going for something like an NECW and an NEDW. One size leaner in diameter than the JD, but gives you half clip variation between needles to fine tune the clip position.

Reading plugs is anyones guess with current variations in both fuels and lubricants. Adding to that just looking at a plug in general won't tell you much. You need to do plug chops at certain throttle positions. For a crude test, put an old plug in that's half fouled up and take it for a run. If it comes back with white ash on it you know you're lean - but realistically you should be able to feel this and have other symptoms show first.

You are concerned of being lean and have bought a couple sizes larger on the pilot, but then purchases (and tried) a K diameter needle which is about 3 steps leaner than the JD red in the off idle to 1/8th throttle range.

Based on what you've been saying I would be going for something like an NECW and an NEDW. One size leaner in diameter than the JD, but gives you half clip variation between needles to fine tune the clip position.

Reading plugs is anyones guess with current variations in both fuels and lubricants. Adding to that just looking at a plug in general won't tell you much. You need to do plug chops at certain throttle positions. For a crude test, put an old plug in that's half fouled up and take it for a run. If it comes back with white ash on it you know you're lean - but realistically you should be able to feel this and have other symptoms show first.

I'm not sure on which needles are leaner/richer. Lots of info on here about people trying different needles with different results. But nothing that says "this needle is richer than this one" etc. that's why I was asking which needles people could recommend to me for my elevation. Getting an answer saying to try a particular needle doesn't necessarily tell me which needle is richer/leaner.

I did order a NEDW, so I'll give that a go. I also ordered a NEDK. Which one would be richer of those 2? I've been pretty good at jetting my other smokers before with different mains and pilots, but never played with switching needles before.
Thanx.

Listen to Jake. I've used N3CJ and liked it but now I'm sold on NECW/42/175. Bike still needs small airscrew adjustments.

Check the link I posted. Read it a few times. I can post the part number tomorrow. The only difference between NECW and the NEDW you have ordered is that the clip positions are staggered half a position, with the NECW being a half a clip leaner.

Test with your NEDW first, and if you find that you need that half a clip adjustment to fine tune, then know its available.

You need to be methodical in your approach. Start by setting the float height, the slide height, and the air screw. Confirm your model of carb, your slide number, and if it has a notch/window. Use a baseline to test from and then adjust with intention to address particular throttle positions. Many find indexing the throttle housing so you can visually tell how far its open helps.

Don't worry so much about the plug, or the spooge. Use the same oil at the same ratio, and a clean air filter and only evaluate changes on an engine that is up to temp.

Check the link I posted. Read it a few times. I can post the part number tomorrow. The only difference between NECW and the NEDW you have ordered is that the clip positions are staggered half a position, with the NECW being a half a clip leaner.

Test with your NEDW first, and if you find that you need that half a clip adjustment to fine tune, then know its available.

You need to be methodical in your approach. Start by setting the float height, the slide height, and the air screw. Confirm your model of carb, your slide number, and if it has a notch/window. Use a baseline to test from and then adjust with intention to address particular throttle positions. Many find indexing the throttle housing so you can visually tell how far its open helps.

Don't worry so much about the plug, or the spooge. Use the same oil at the same ratio, and a clean air filter and only evaluate changes on an engine that is up to temp.

Ok sounds good. I have a 2012 EC300R. So I'm guessing that I have the ASII 38mm. Also, slide is number 7. Honestly, the bike works well with the JD red needle, but I'm trying to get the most I can out of it. That N3CH sounds like it could be a fun try.

I just tried the N3CH in clip #4. Oddly, it seems very similar to my red JD needle :confused: . A little burble just past 1/8 throttle. Running 40pj and 180 main.

Go to clip 3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll give clip 3 a try and I'll also open up the AS a bit. I'll report back tomorrow with the results. I'll have quite the collection of needles once they all come in. N3CH, N3EG, NEDW, NEDK, red JD. I'm still tempted to give the N1JK a try with a bigger pilot. It honestly gave promising power results in the middle and on top. Seriously, 6th gear wheelies with little effort. Mega power.

Back