New To Gas Gas, Racing Hare Scrambles

risk74

Hi. Just joined the site as a new Gas Gas owner, longtime motorcyclist and racer. I have been racing a heavily modified Kawasaki KDX200 in the Virginia Championship Hare Scrambles Series and doing well with a win and several top three finishes this season, but still at a disadvantage to more modern equipment. Found a 2004 EC300 at a price I couldn't refuse and took a chance.

Over the next few weeks I will be race prepping it for hare scrambles duty, varied terrain, but mostly slippery, muddy, rocky, ruts and roots type single track. The bike is currently stock aside from a 50t rear sprocket (as far as I can tell) and does not seem to have been abused too much (at least for a 12 year old dirty bike!).

Looking for weaknesses in this particular model/modifications that I should address before racing. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. You can follow my progress here:

http://www.speedofarrival.com/

Welcome. Make sure it's in good shape. Wheel, swingarm and head bearings, brake pads. Suspension serviced. Just the usual. You will like this way better than the KDX.J ust get some seat time. I got my GG in the fall and I have fallen in love with it. My youngest is finishing up travel lacrosse the end of June. So I'll start VCHSS in August. I'll be doing Blue Ridge 2 on the 7th. Should be sweltering.

What class are you running?

Where in VA are you?

RB Designs head mod to reduce squish is a must do. It makes the bike much easier to jet properly and reduces fuel consumption almost 10% so it will pay for itself over time.

Welcome. Make sure it's in good shape. Wheel, swingarm and head bearings, brake pads. Suspension serviced. Just the usual. You will like this way better than the KDX.J ust get some seat time. I got my GG in the fall and I have fallen in love with it. My youngest is finishing up travel lacrosse the end of June. So I'll start VCHSS in August. I'll be doing Blue Ridge 2 on the 7th. Should be sweltering.

What class are you running?

Where in VA are you?

In Richmond. Running 40+c. This is my first season of hare scrambles after 14 years of roadracing.

RB Designs head mod to reduce squish is a must do. It makes the bike much easier to jet properly and reduces fuel consumption almost 10% so it will pay for itself over time.

I am very familiar with RB. Ron has done the head, cylinder and carb on my KDX. His mods are first on my list.

In Richmond. Running 40+c. This is my first season of hare scrambles after 14 years of roadracing.

Blue ridge 2 will be my first race ever. 40+ c as well

You will love the gg over the kdx. We have one as a buddy bike and the gg os so much better.

Blue ridge 2 will be my first race ever. 40+ c as well

You will love the gg over the kdx. We have one as a buddy bike and the gg os so much better.

As long as it doesn't rain for 16 hours straight before the event we should be ok! That was hell at Blue Ridge 1. I thought I was going to die!

Good blog ! I've owned a couple of kdx200s, and they were good bikes, the GG is similar character but a lot better to ride. If you are riding a lot of mud, your suspension guy should know a good set up for the shims in the bottom valve of the forks (assuming marzocchi 45 forks). It makes the front feel a lot more planted. Get the right shock spring for your weight and do the engine and carb stuff which is well documented on the forum.

Love hare scrambles, my favorite kind of racing...aggressive like moto-x, but all the fun of off-road. Also, the race is 2 hours and then you are done. None of this start stop rest bullsh#t.

Gas Gas and road racing

congrats on the Gasser buy, I bet you're gonna enjoy it ! When roadracing, were you running WERA, or CCS ? What bike and number ? I've done some WERA Vintage racing in the past, on 2t RDs,and RZs...I need to get back to it...:rolleyes:
Best wishes

congrats on the Gasser buy, I bet you're gonna enjoy it ! When roadracing, were you running WERA, or CCS ? What bike and number ? I've done some WERA Vintage racing in the past, on 2t RDs,and RZs...I need to get back to it...:rolleyes:
Best wishes

Ran with WERA. I won the V6LW and V5 championships for 2015. Expert #374 on an FZR 489 hybrid an an EX500 superbike. I started racing on a Suzuki T500, love the two strokes. Lots of pics on my blog: www.speedofarrrival.com

Hello fellow KDXrider! Jumped ship to GasGas, did ya? ;) I don't blame you. They're great bikes all around. While I think my current KDX handles as well as any GG I have tried, I do miss the power of my GG250.

Back