No run, no happy :(

farmerj

Platinum Level Site Supporter
I have an '05 DE 300 that hasn't run for a year! I started off with spark problems, and received a lot of help in another thread on the subject.

Now, after a CDI swap, I have consistent spark - and consistent fuel - but the bike will not run! Actually, it will start for a short time once in every 100 kicks, then die.

It actually seems like there is too much fuel - I used to have to use the choke when starting, and now pulling the choke on makes the problem worse. Also, the carb would overflow when on the sidestand, so I adjusted the float.

When I closed the fuel petcock and tried to start it, it would act like it is going to fire for 15 kicks in a row, but wouldn't "catch fire" and run.

Now I wonder if letting it sit for so long damaged the float needle (even though it looks fine visually.) Is it possible for the needle not to seat well, allowing too much fuel to enter the combustion chamber and drowning out the spark?

Or could something in the choke mechanism be damaged? :confused:

Just thought I'd try one last time before loading it up and hauling it in!

---------

FWIW, I have:
- replaced the coil
- replaced the spark plug boot
- removed the fuel filter
- checked grounds, wiring, and connectors
- unplugged the kill switch (I think)
- replaced the stator (& flywheel, with a used 2K3 system)
- replaced the CDI unit (with a used unit)
- sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb, removed carb and adjusted float level (fuel was coming out of the overflow, maybe from old gas being in there for too long and damaging the float needle?)
- put in fresh fuel
- tried a couple of different plugs

When working with the ignition problem did you remove the flywheel? A poorly torqued flywheel nut risk shearing the woodruff key making the flywheel lose its timing. Once in hundred kicks it catches up at the right spot and fires but it will not run.

clean the carb out,, if you have a harbor freight nearby pick up a $45-60 ultrasonic carb cleaner and run the carb in that. Most likely the carb is all junked up in the brass jets from the ethanol. The brass gets fuzzy from it.

clean the carb out,, if you have a harbor freight nearby pick up a $45-60 ultrasonic carb cleaner and run the carb in that. Most likely the carb is all junked up in the brass jets from the ethanol. The brass gets fuzzy from it.

Ditto.......

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I had pulled the pilot & main jets and they looked fine, no gunk in the carb, but I'm thinking you're right about the need for a good cleaning and can do a pilot jet replacement. Will check some of the other items mentioned and keep on the path!

Jeff

So a day or two ago the bike started, ran for a few minutes and then died (as it has done several times) But while it was running I was able to ride it, and remember that it had acted this way when the problem started...it ran fine at low throttle openings, but over half-throttle, it sputters and bogs.

Does this give us any clues?

FWIW, it seems like an electrical problem, to me. But I could be wrong. It also seems like when the thing heats up a bit, then whatever the problem is gets worse and kills the engine.

So a day or two ago the bike started, ran for a few minutes and then died (as it has done several times) But while it was running I was able to ride it, and remember that it had acted this way when the problem started...it ran fine at low throttle openings, but over half-throttle, it sputters and bogs.

Does this give us any clues?

FWIW, it seems like an electrical problem, to me. But I could be wrong. It also seems like when the thing heats up a bit, then whatever the problem is gets worse and kills the engine.

so ur definitely getting fuel if its running then...
I was going to suggest you had adjusted the float too far and weren't getting enough fuel. I have done this before.
Easy to check - just drop the bowl and turn the fuel on and play with the float.

The float would have to be adjusted very low to have an effect at half throttle. Lack of flow is usually more noticeable above 3/4 throttle.

I would tend to think this is electrical which could be any of the following: connections / stator exciter coil / ignition coil / CDI.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I had pulled the pilot & main jets and they looked fine, no gunk in the carb, but I'm thinking you're right about the need for a good cleaning and can do a pilot jet replacement. Will check some of the other items mentioned and keep on the path!

Jeff

You really cant tell with jets by a visual inspection. I had the same issue with my KTM 450EXC and I replaced the pilot and it started right up. If gas has been sitting in there for a year, I would bet that is one of your problems.

Back