Pipe dent remover

I have a similar dent tool, you need to heat the pipe more you could get much more of that dent out, I could get that at least 90% out you look like you have only got it about 50% better. You need 80-100psi and heat the pipe slowly so you can watching the dent come out so you can apply more heat in the correct area.

I found with my home made death trap contraption to plug the ends, then heat the dent, and only then to apply air pressure. If I pressure it up before applying heat, the thermal expansion of the air inside the pipe overwhelms the safety measures on the plugs.

In short: Heat first then air = good.
Air first then heat = dents in garage door.

You need to remove the carbon and oil inside the pipe before in order to prevent pressure increase.

I watched a mechanic use a homemade set of plugs to get dents out of an expansion chamber. Hooked it up to air, put in 20 psi and heat the dented area with his Acetylene torch carefully. He got the dents out almost perfectly as the metal became cherry red.

Nitrogen is way safer as it does not expand like air. That is what my brother uses.

What? It expands just like air.

7911d97513f6fafc77de23ea0d2e8aac.png

Last edited:
What? It expands just like air.

7911d97513f6fafc77de23ea0d2e8aac.png

At low P and T, yes, it does behave according to ideal gas laws.

At higher P and T, like 100psi and 100s of degrees C, it deviates from ideal.

I think a bigger issue with using air is not so much the unideal expansion, but the combustibility of the compressed oxygen in air.
There's a reason you avoid compressing gaseous oxygen.

I think a bigger issue with using air is not so much the unideal expansion, but the combustibility of the compressed oxygen in air.
There's a reason you avoid compressing gaseous oxygen.

Yeah, that is my understanding as well.

O2 isn't combustible. Regular air is 78% nitrogen. 21% Oxygen and trace gases.

Take a look at someone who has popped out pipes. 30 psi isn't much, only 3 atm.

O2 isn't combustible. Regular air is 78% nitrogen. 21% Oxygen and trace gases.

Take a look at someone who has popped out pipes. 30 psi isn't much, only 3 atm.

Technically its the oxidant. The steel pipe is the fuel.
Still incredibly dangerous stuff. You would probably get away with air, as the nitrogen would act as a suppressant, but using nitrogen instead of air is certainly safer.

30psi gauge is 2 atmospheres. There was mention of 80-100psi earlier in the thread.

Never see it done at 100psi. The main danger you would have at 100 psi would be the pipe blowing up in your face when heated cherry red. You are not going to get a fireball or anything. Just metal blowing up in your face.

30psi is 3 atm as most gauges measure from one. 3 on the inside pushing against one from the outside. Guess we can argue that.

Technically its the oxidant. The steel pipe is the fuel.
Still incredibly dangerous stuff. You would probably get away with air, as the nitrogen would act as a suppressant, but using nitrogen instead of air is certainly safer.

30psi gauge is 2 atmospheres. There was mention of 80-100psi earlier in the thread.

My experience ist not the air pressure is the secret to remove the dent, it's this heat. I always used the normal small gas lamps like in the video with no good results. Last time I used a butane burner which gives much more heat and a larger area of heating. It works much better and easier to remove the dents.

Got word that Brett with BonJoesCycleSport would be at the Little Brown Jug AMA national enduro this past weekend. So I took my 2 worst pipes. One was almost flattened at the largest diameter.
Report; nice guy. Professional. Did an unbelievable recovery on very bad pipes at a great price.
Absolutely recommend.
716-773-5800
http://www.bonjoescyclesportinc.com
Or you can continue to screw around in your garage and put your eye out while leaving ripples and dents. :)

Back