Pipe Guard Options? P3, E-Line...

I have a good connection here in Australia.
Haymer 22 on ebay.
Tell them I sent ya.

Here is a prototype I am about to try:

They are very sturdy and seem to be very good quality.
Yet to try them as I have had my suspension sent away to be sorted.
First ride tomorrow but hopefully I will not test the new pipe and guard then?
Cheers Mark

that looks like a nice substitute for P3. What is the price? Any links, cant find him on ebay.

Only small issue i see is that it does not appear to cover as much of the short bend as the P3, and i tend to hit that part quite often!
Are you prepared to do a side by side comparison of the P3?

It seems to cover most of the small bend that I hit. I will get a shot of the pipe on the bike to show you the actual coverage.... looks ok to me.
The cost is around A$110 plus postage.
Works for me, much thicker and better than P3 I reckon.
Cheers Mark

sounds good. The ones i have seen locally other than P3 were much thinner, so nice to hear these are thicker than p3 (and a bit cheaper!) I hope you have informed him that the key problem with P3 is slow production (mixed in with poor customer relations) so if he can solve that issue he will have a global market!

will this fit the 2007-2011 pipes?

am failing to find him on ebay, but boy you guys sell a lot of hammers!!

Good , get onto him and tell him I sent ya.
He is waiting for my opinion on the guard and then going for production.
Give him an idea of numbers and he will let you know when he should have them.
Cheers Mark

I have one ride with the AL Flatland Racing Guard.

At first I was very hesitant to get it. But after receiving it in the mail and getting it installed, I am glad I made the choice.

It may slightly more in wt. but that part does not bother me at all.

Here is a one shot of it --- a bit dirty.

Will get a shot of the other side soon.

FlatlandRacingALGuard_zps938a3a5c.jpg

I tested my eline with a 3rd gear get off hit a rock , snapped it in half and taco'd my pipe . I don't think it really helped much , I think they are pretty much garbage . I have hit lots of stuff with P3's and have never had any issues , definitely worth the wait

I tested my eline with a 3rd gear get off hit a rock , snapped it in half and taco'd my pipe . I don't think it really helped much , I think they are pretty much garbage . I have hit lots of stuff with P3's and have never had any issues , definitely worth the wait

The P3 is a very good quality made guard. Just keep in mind that from the outside of the guard it may not look too bad.....and then you remove the carbon P3 guard and.....????

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378776336944.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378776336944.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 23

Thats a pretty large amount of force to dissipate, depending on how you hit the rock, I wonder whether a P3 would have fared much better.

That force has to go somewhere, even with a super strong pipe cover like the P3, the force still gets transferred into the pipe, just over a larger area assuming the guard holds up.

I think that the P3 type guards are only good for deflection type damage, not so much large point loading like you experienced. In your case a P3 guard may not have failed as extremely as the eline did, but like StuJohnson experienced, the pipe can still be damaged without the P3 breaking apart.

I guess what im saying is that pipes are a consumable item for most types of riding that the gasgas excels at, so you shouldn't be surprised when they get damaged.

GMP often mentioned that tying a rigid pipe guard to a skid plate or frame, similar to the Hyde set up, was probably going to be the most durable set up.

I consider a pipe guard good for side-scrapage or slow-speed whacks into tree trunks.

Anything more than that, bets are off.

Here are some more photos so you can see what the Flatland Racing AL guard looks like. I purchased this guard off a GG owner that had these custom made by Flatland Racing. He had sent his pipe to Flatland so that it was made to fit his pipe.

**NOTE THAT 3 more pieces were welded to the guard to cover the piper further up on the side. The RED arrow shows this location.**

And one more note is that the guard is for the OEM pipe. This one in the photo is my FMF Gnarly that I have it mounted to and no problems. The AL can easily be heated and bent to fit pipe with a rubber mallet!!!

IMAG0846_1_zpsfbedd857.jpg

IMAG0847_1_zpsc2d79666.jpg

Last edited:
Back