Replacing cam chain tensioner gasket

bergerhag

Silver Level Site Supporter
My -05 FSE has developed an oil leak. It seems top be the can chain tensioner gasket. Is it safe to simply remove the chain tensioner and replace the gasket? Or are there any special precautions I need to take?

I don't know how much help this will be, but when I switched from a auto cam chain tensioner to a manual cam chain tensioner for my '01 Drz400 the acct came right out. And when replacing with mcct I think they gave me an o-ring? I then had to adjust the mcct which was very easy. If U see a screw slot type of adjuster on the outside of it, U would want to release the tension. Then when U reinstall, U would want to reset the plunger.

I think that helps a lot, flybars. My concern was if the slacked chain could slip down and move on the bottom pinion. (I don't know the right english term for it, but a straight translation from swedish would be 'cog over') . Am I making myself understood? :o

No worries about removing it. You have to take the tension off of it before reinstalling and then give it a light tap to retension.

Ok, removed chain tenisoner, gasket looked fine. Didn't seem to be the source of my leak.
However the little cap screw at the end of the tensioner was loose. That might have been my leaking spot.
Anyway, I replaced the the gasket. But It was tricky to reset the tensioner, It took me a couple of minutes to find out how it worked. There was this little screwdriver slot under the cap screw at the end, twisted it and in went the tensioner.

But as soon as I removed my screwdriver the plunger sprung back to its fully extended position. So I resetted the tensioner, held the plunger in position while I inserted a slighty longer screw in the cap hole. Lightly torqued it prevented the plunger internals from turning, thus keeping the plunger from extending while I mounted the tensioner assembly.

Well, all done now. I haven't started it yet, so I don't know if it did the trick.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks for the report. Keep the good info. coming. Let us know if the leak stopped. Any more info on the CRD guard bracket for the '05 FSE?

Back