Rev Limiter

McGuiver

Hey all you 450 fse owners.....anyone besides me hitting the rev. limiter when you really get on it? I know the rev limiter is there for a reason, but it seems I'm hitting it right in the "meat" of the power-band! Very annoying when trying to over-take my buddies KTM on the fire roads that we run on. To me it seems to be coming on too early, but maybe they are supposed to be that way......no tach, so I can't say what RPM it's happening at. Anybody else have this?

I don't have that problem but then I usually never have a reason to rev it that high. If your revving that high then you're hitting a part of the powerband that is basically useless, there's no more acceleration up there, just keep shifting before you get to that point. Other than that, maybe you bike is missing at higher rpm's. Not sure why. Check your valves lately?

Hey all you 450 fse owners.....anyone besides me hitting the rev. limiter when you really get on it? I know the rev limiter is there for a reason, but it seems I'm hitting it right in the "meat" of the power-band! Very annoying when trying to over-take my buddies KTM on the fire roads that we run on. To me it seems to be coming on too early, but maybe they are supposed to be that way......no tach, so I can't say what RPM it's happening at. Anybody else have this?

I am having the same problem in both the dirt and street. When I race the bike it feels like its about to enter the top end of a gear then it hits the limiter. Someone said to check my clutch plates, but it feels like the rev limiter to me. However, when I roll on the throttle, it seems to run fine. How bout you.

Yep.....same thing. I'm glad to hear that someone else is experiencing this besides me. I've been riding off road bikes for 40+ years, and 4strokes for the last 20, and I've never had a bike break down at higher revs like this one does.The bike has only a couple hundred miles on it, so I doubt it is a valve float issue. I guess I'm just gonna have to learn to short shift it.....problem is, the bike is still pulling hard when this takes place, so I feel I'm losing some potential.:rolleyes:

Yes, losing some potential. It feels like it wants to smoke the others riders i'm with, then dies hard. Even when I switch gears it still persists. Hope someone else reads this and gives us some insite on this. Maybe a resolve. Now at least i'm glad i'm not the only one either. Later - Rob.

I was told by my dealer that some fse's need an EFi fuel remapping after some time of use, because they start to bog. (run very fat). Don't know if this is your problem.

Mine does seem to run fat. I just thought that's how it ran, boggy. If that's a word. My local dealer, who use to sell these bikes, does not have that particular tool to remap my efi. Anyone know of someone close to this area, Long Island, NY, or know of a remapping tool that can be used on the gasgas as well as other toys equipped with efi? Thanks bergerhag for responding. Rob.

Mine doesn't run flat....in fact, it runs very well for a 450. I just think it's not able to use all that it has available because of this rev-limit thing. I too would be interested in the remapping procedure.

Mine doesn't run flat either, at all, but does run a little fat. When I ride my friends 03 KTM 450EXC it feels so much more responsive thru out the rev.

So I hate to say it, but I never heard of the Sherco until now and it looks like a really cool bike. I'm still new to the euro toys. I'll look to see if there is a Sherco dealer close to L.I. Thanks for the tip.

Flat was a typo.....fat is not even in the vocabulary to describe this bike.....one of the reasons I chose fuel injection. I think the fuel metering is spot-on!

So now you got me confused. Your bike is "fat" as in very cool or "fat" as in how it's running. The only thing I can think of as to why my, our, bikes run fat is it's got to have something to do with the mapping. After all it is EFI which has many different fuel ranges to mess with. So being off just a little can make this happen.

Efi Fse 450

How ya going guys have heard, don't know if it's gospel or not but the EFI set up magneti marelli is a Ducati set up so i was told if your short on GAS GAS shops or fitters [mechanics] hunt down some one that does Ducati's.Hope this helps guys it's worth a try.

Thanks, I will look into that. I do have a local ducati dealer and I hope he's willing to check out my bike.

Rappa. Any word from the local Ducati dealer as far as remapping your FSE? Have U checked to make sure U don't have one of the FSE's with the throttle stop like bergerhag had and remedied?

Well, that would be the lazy part of myself to not go to the local Ducati dealer yet and see if he could remap my FSE. I guess it must not bother me that much to pursue this. This problem only happens when I really get on the throttle hard, like when i'm racing it. My riding style is more relaxed in the trail so it hasn't been a bother to me. One day I will get down there. And yes, that was one of the first things I did was check to see if I had that throttle stop and I do not. This website has been very informative for me with a bike that not many people have. I wish more people did have these bike's for they are awesome. So thanks for your curiousity on if I did this or not and when I do, I will post my results. For know I am just enjoying the ride. Later.

I have the '05 FSE and love it. I too wish other rider's could share in the joy of riding these great enduros. Keep us posted.

Rappa, when you get your bike to someone with the software, let him set the trim to something between 35 and 45. This gives the bike almost unbelievable bottom end grunt for a 450. I find the best style of riding my bike is to "short shift" before the end of the rev range and let the torque stretch your arms! Good luck with it getting set up like you want it.

Your bike could be a bit lean on the mixture.
It should be at 4% at the header pipe or 2.5% if it is taken at the rear of the mufler.If you find a dealer who has the VDSTS they should be able to adjust it. The readings that Eugene is talking about has nothing to do on what the C/O is it is only a referance and no two bikes are the same, by going up in the numbers will make it richer but you dont no how much or it could be to rich already, that is why you need to have a C/o meter.The other thing it could be is the coil (plug cap), and if you havent got a good tester the best thing is to swop it with a good one and try it.
You can get a race ECU from Gas Gas that will make it rev a lot harder but they cost a lot. The other thing you could try is getting onto Tecnoresearch and they may be able to help with re maping the ECU. I dont know if the will but its worth a try.One other thing if it is an early 450 check the fuel pump relay, sometime they vibrate and cause a miss.try swoping it with the fan relay.

Back