RMZ fork swap

RobD

Hi,

Putting together a bitsa on a budget (04 EC250 frame and 07 EC250 motor with the odd dash of 98 EC250 for good measure :D ) and am fitting a set of RMZ250 forks. Reason being I managed to pick up a pair of unused 2011 forks for ?150 on ebay and couldn't get zokes for anywhere near that.

The 47mm Showa RMZ legs are 55mm upper and 58.5mm lowers. The 04 GG triples I have are going to the machine shop next week to be bored out from the standard 54mm/57mm to suit. I noticed from a previous thread that someone had gone down a similar route but had fitted a new stem into the RMZ triples so the mod was reversible. The issue is that I don't have the RMZ triples and can't get access to any for measurements. What I really need to know is the distance between fork centres for the RMZ so I can decide whether to try and adapt a GG wheel assembly or go with a complete RMZ front end.

I currently have no axle, wheel or brake components.

Does anyone have access to an '11 RMZ to take the measurement for me?

Cheers,

Rob

Before you go any further know that the '07 motor will not go directly in the '04 frame without motor mount mods.

Hi,
I've done a partial dry build already, I was planning on starting a build thread once I've painted the frame and everything starts going together for the last time. '07 engine into '04 frame is a lot easier than the other way round.
All that I've seen that's needed so far is a 10mm spacer between the gear lever side lower mount on the frame and the engine, and a sleeve in the rear pivot hole in the engine casing to handle the smaller pivot bolt size on the '04.
Cheers,
Rob

Unfortunately I only took one photo when I was mocking things up to check what would need to done fitment wise.

drybuild1.jpg

Yes, easier than the other way. Nice job. Too bad you can't find a decent '07frame/subframe.

I just choked on my coffee when I scrolled back up and saw the chicken on the ground... part of your trailside tool roll?? pliers, allen,, rubber chicken... check.

I'm getting paranoid now, doesn't everyone have a rubber chicken in their toolkit or is just me? When your frustrated with a stuck bolt it does a lot less damage than the club hammer in the bottom of the pic :D

I'm getting paranoid now, doesn't everyone have a rubber chicken in their toolkit or is just me? When your frustrated with a stuck bolt it does a lot less damage than the club hammer in the bottom of the pic :D

True it would,,, but being outside, if the neighbors saw you beating your bike with a rubber chicken you may find yourself waking up in a small padded room with a snug jacket on..

Apart from the rubber chicken, how did you project go? I may be able to buy a pair og '10 RMZ250 fork legs that are revalved and resprung for enduro use, so I am considering a fork swap. Is there any reason the RMZ should be less suitable than other 47mm Showas, e.g. from the 250x when properly valved?

Anders

Hi,
I have had the triple clamps machined to take the forks but haven't had chance to get much further due to working on my house. I'm hoping to get back on it in the next week or so.

Quick update, so I had the triples bored out by 1.0mm (diameter) on top and 1.5mm (diameter) on the bottom to fit the Showa legs. Still leaves a good amount of thickness to the clamp. There's not a massive amount of adjustment to move the legs up and down in the clamps and keep both clamps on the flat sections. I'm guessing the suzuki has a longer head tube length on the frame.
Typically, I have also now been offered a set of OEM forks at a reasonable price so they are on the way too. Will be handy to have something to measure off.
Cost 50 quid for the machine work so running total is 210 including the legs and shipping charges.

gastriple1.jpg

gastriple2.jpg

Any further progress, Rob?

Which exact fork are you replacing?
How do the length of the showa's compare to the units you are replacing?
How about the axle off-set comparison (centerline of fork to center of axle)?

Obviously, I'm most curious about any changes of geometry that the showa's bring to the project.

Thanks

Back