Test report on 2012

drewgoldsmith

I test rode a 2012 xc 300 from Gunnison motor sports in Gunnison Colorado last weeked with the following coments.

Fritz at Gunnison Motorsports is a class act. Supper clean shop, well stocked, sick old school memorbilia of Fritz's career, nice staff.
Fritz was very nice with a no pressure sales approach that I enjoy. I would highly recomend checking his shop out and meeting his crew.

I am 6 foot 2 180 and a good trail rider and a shitty Mx'er. I currently ride a 05 yz that has many woods mods.

Pros for the Gas Gas:
Quiet, exhaust was quiet and the the motor made less noise then my yz
seat was flat and felt great when you came down from standing into a berm and got up near the gas cap.
Great clutch, easy pull and good control. My yz has a magura hydro clutch also, but the gasser was better.
Real good motor. Great low end and reved out. This motor is better then my yz not radically but 15% better then a modded yz 250.
6 speed. although Fritz had a 13/48 sprocket combo so a climbing set up

Cons: rear suspension felt soft and bottomed often. Added four clicks of compression and 2 of rebound but I did not count where I was. This helped a lot but no high speed on the Ohlins which is a bummer.
not quite as vibration free as I was hoping. This does not bother me that much but a friend told me they were way differnt then the YZ (we both owned them) and I did feel it was better, but not radicaly.
Fork was soft but I never bottomed it.

Conclusion: I am impressed with the bike and am contemplating a purchase. Time will tell. Thx Drew

Thanks for the report Drew.

Thats a nice list of pros and the cons aren't anything that can't be addressed through a little personal tuning. I agree it would be nice to see a fully adjustable shock. If anything I find the HS comp is where the magic is found. The engines seem to vary from one to the next regarding the vibes. Mine was a real buzz box, my friends is silky smooth.

Actually a HS comp adjuster is of limited value. The "magic" is all in the active valving of the shim stacks. Adjusters just control WHEN the valving takes over. In the Ohlins/Sachs I beleive the HS is just a preload on a blow off valve. I have it on my '07 Sachs and don't miss it at all on the '12.

You'd know more about it than me Glenn so I'm not questioning your knowledge. Just what I found with my KYB and Ohlins 888 was that they both required some adjustment of the HS comp before coming truly compliant. I do miss it on the TTX and think I'll be having some taken out when it sees its first service.

Its not the same as custom revalve to tailor the high speed stack. If it was that easy, there would be a lot of unemployed tuners.

Biggest issue with the 888 I found is rebound control, and the effect of the adjuster on compression when attempting to dial a little more in.

Its not the same as custom revalve to tailor the high speed stack. If it was that easy, there would be a lot of unemployed tuners.

Biggest issue with the 888 I found is rebound control, and the effect of the adjuster on compression when attempting to dial a little more in.

There are ways to separate the rebound and compression circuits but they are internal to the shock but yes the Ohlins does seem more prone to cross-over than some others.

The HS compression is also very adjustable, but that adjustment is internal and happily so ... the suspension guys have to pay for their racing somehow ;)

Fritz is a guy that knows his stuff. I remember him back in the '80's when he was one of my 6-days heros!

Back