The Tire Thread - Please add your information

2002 EC300 with WER suspension.
Kenda Millville 2 front and back around 10 to 12 psi.
Michelin ultra heavy duty enduro tubes (because I suck at tire changing and will pinch any tube less that 4mm thick) This is my Florida setup.

This is a cool thread to revive. I can type for days on tires since I'm a bit of a tire hoarder. All the tires below were ran with a bib mousse unless otherwise noted. Also all of my riding occurs in KY, TN, and IN on a broad range of terrain including, cake batter dirt, slop, sticky nasty clay, roots and ROCKS!

Kenda Tires I've ran:

120/100-18 Trakmaster: Great all around tire, wears like iron, DOT legal, extremely cheap. This is my go to rear tire.

IBEX 120/100-18: This is a gummy tire and is probably the best tire I have ever used when the going gets tough. It wears pretty well especially for a gummy. It seems to work best with Tubliss and 4 psi.

Millville 120/100-18: this is a good XC tire and handles great at higher speeds, very predictable and great braking performance.

Washougal 120/100-18 wears like iron, works great in dry conditions.

Millville 90/100-21. Great front tire and very predictable. The larger size allows it to soak up the trail trash a little better but makes turning feel a little slower.

Millville 80/100-21 solid tire and turns great.

GoldenTyre

GT216AA "fatty" 90/100-21. This is hands down the very best front tire ever made for rocks and "extreme" types of riding. That being said when the pace picks up the tire quickly goes away and starts to really suck

GT230/232 120/100-18 Great tire for all conditions but wears fast and pretty expensive.

GT523kx 120/100-18. This is a gummy tire that works great in the rocks but wears really fast. Don't expect to get more than 100 miles out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a cool thread to revive. I can type for days on tires since I'm a bit of a tire hoarder. All the tires below were ran with a bib mousse unless otherwise noted. Also all of my riding occurs in KY, TN, and IN on a broad range of terrain including, cake batter dirt, slop, sticky nasty clay, roots and ROCKS!

Kenda Tires I've ran:

120/100-18 Trakmaster: Great all around tire, wears like iron, DOT legal, extremely cheap. This is my go to rear tire.

IBEX 120/100-18: This is a gummy tire and is probably the best tire I have ever used when the going gets tough. It wears pretty well especially for a gummy. It seems to work best with Tubliss and 4 psi.

Millville 120/100-18: this is a good XC tire and handles great at higher speeds, very predictable and great braking performance.

Washougal 120/100-18 wears like iron, works great in dry conditions.

Millville 90/100-21. Great front tire and very predictable. The larger size allows it to soak up the trail trash a little better but makes turning feel a little slower.

Millville 80/100-21 solid tire and turns great.

GoldenTyre

GT216AA "fatty" 90/100-21. This is hands down the very best front tire ever made for rocks and "extreme" types of riding. That being said when the pace picks up the tire quickly goes away and starts to really suck

GT230/232 120/100-18 Great tire for all conditions but wears fast and pretty expensive.

GT523kx 120/100-18. This is a gummy tire that works great in the rocks but wears really fast. Don't expect to get more than 100 miles out of it.

Great info, thanks! Are there any tires you would avoid or not buy/mount/use again? I'm the eternal optimist, but that's because I like to hear the negative reviews to balance my interest.

Been running the IBEX and it's my new favorite tire. Great hookup,drive, and braking, and grips like a trials tire.

Works amazing for PNW woods terrain.

Great info, thanks! Are there any tires you would avoid or not buy/mount/use again? I'm the eternal optimist, but that's because I like to hear the negative reviews to balance my interest.

Anything Dunlop. Lol. They are just over priced junk. The AT81 has great forward drive but after that it is awful. Zero braking and zero side bite. The front tire is even worse. The MX32, or whatever it's called now, is a good performer but doesn't last.

I also tried a few Shinko tires and they worked well but didn't last very long. The 525 was probably my favorite.

Tire- Mitas EF 07 Light (yellow stripe)
Pressure the tire was run at-0
Inflation device(tube, tubliss, mousse etc)- mousse
Terrain ridden- from mud to dust
How well did it work- great
How well the tyre lasted-small knobs, but after reshaping great grip again
Any other notes-

Bike (model and year)-EC 250 2008 Racing
Skill level- Weekend rider
Location- Slovakia

Would you buy another?
If not, why? Of course yes... I will stick with these

Tire- Goldentyre fatty front and Kenda Equilibrium rear
Pressure the tire was run at- 8 psi or so. Raced an Enduro with the rear at 4 psi with great traction and no flats!
Inflation device(tube, tubliss, mousse etc)- tubes
Terrain ridden- singletrack with lots of rocks and roots
How well did it work- front great everywhere, rear great except on wet greasy mud.
How well the tyre lasted- front fantastic, rear better than average.
Any other notes- The equilibrium is amazing on rocks and climbs as long as not muddy. Front is best all around I have used.

Bike (model and year)- ec250 2007
Skill level- 43 year old mid "B" level Enduro racer and trail rider. I feel fast, but I know there are WAY faster riders.
Location- Northern Minnesota

Would you buy another? Front yes, rear probably
If not, why? I want to try a more traditional knob gummy rear tire. Maybe the Ibex.

I also love that fatty front 90/100 (Mitas also has one c19 I think) in some situations it actually feels like there is too much traction for your brakes, especially with tubliss

Thread revival!

Just stuck a Shinko 525 cheetah on the ec300, great grip, better than the 505 I had on my old bike. Also slightly better than the Goldentyre 333 I replaced.

I'm looking at a michelin starcross 5 soft 90/100 for the front. Anyone tried one?

Definitely thread revival time.

its time to repalce the stock tires on my 19 EC300

Looking for recommendations

90% single track / slow technical

Hardly ever any mud!

Hardly ever any mud!

Under those circumstances I would suggest Mitas C19/C18 Superlight (green stripe). These are my favorite tires for technical riding. I have run these Mitas tires tubeless, using T-Lock (a competitor to Tubliss), without any problems for years. I run them with quite low pressure. However, Mitas reccomends using mousses as the Superlight side walls are pretty thin.

My daughter also uses these tires (with tubes) on her RM125 in the woods.

I like this topic, so I'll throw a couple in:

Tire- Shinko Cheater 505 rear
Pressure the tire was run at- 5-7psi
Inflation device - tube
Terrain ridden- tight, steep mountain single track
How well did it work- Excellent
How well the tyre lasted- Amazing
Any other notes- Only shortfall is mud/soft ground traction.
This tire grabs rocks, logs, and anything but the softest ground or mud very well. The bonus is it retains good traction into significant wear (which takes a long time, tire wear is very slow)

Bike (model and year)- 2014 EC300
Skill level- Advanced
Location- Western Canada

Would you buy another? Yes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tire- Mitas XT754 super light green stripe rear
Pressure the tire was run at- 5-7psi
Inflation device - tube
Terrain ridden- tight, steep mountain single track
How well did it work- Excellent
How well the tyre lasted- Average
Any other notes- This tire is amazing for softer / mud conditions. It works good as an all around single track tire, but has a tendency to spin on logs, roots, and very hard dirt.

Bike (model and year)- 2014 EC300
Skill level- Advanced
Location- Western Canada

Would you buy another? Yes

Hardly ever any mud!

Goldentyre Fatty front and Kenda Ibex rear, you can't go wrong.

I admit I have yet to run the Ibex- but it comes highly recommended in your application. That and the IRC VE33S Gekotta (gummy) are on my "next to try" list.

Tires I have used:

Kenda Equilibrium - Very good traction, very good tire, but can feel "wallowy" at speed. Not good in mud, as it doesn't clean out well. But I don't like riding in mud anyway! This is a big tire (which I like).

Goldentyre GT216x - Great traction, a smallish tire. No complaints.

Shinko 505 - Hooked up great in a straight line, not great in mud.

I found that it slipped sideways on roots - but note this! - I may have been running too low of a pressure. If you do not run enough pressure in a gummy tire, the knobs actually "fold under" I am told (picture the center of the tire carcass pushed up toward the middle of the rim). When this happens, the tire slides/slips. So I do not think my experience is a common one.

The new Shinko 520DC sounds interesting.

Goldentyre GT333 - One of the best all-around tires made IMO. It is not gummy, but has excellent grip because of the soft carcass that flexes around objects. It's tough - I've run it in woods, rocks, desert, mud, snow - it works everywhere and works well. I had to lengthen my chain to keep it away from the mudflap. Wears well, too, in that it works even when the knobs start to get shorter.

Goldentyre Fatty on the front - great tire, I can't bring myself to run anything else!

Just IMO,

Jeff

South of Europe, WESS land - single track slow technical hill climbs, rivers, rocks, roots etc.

Summer ? loose rocks - tubliss front and back
Mitas C18 yellow/green @ 0.3/0.5 BAR + GT216aa (90/100) @ 0.7 BAR

Winter ? wet/slippery - soft mousse front and back
Mitas EF07 1 or 2 green (140/80) + Mitas C19 green (90/90)

That?s my go to

Last edited:
Finally went for :

Shinko 505 120/100/18 rear

Shinko MX216 90/100/21 front

Did my usual intenet searches and chose the tyres i could get easliy with ther least number of bad reports

Never ridden with a gummy or a fatty(tyre!) before....so should be interesting

I was running Michelin S12 front and rear. Good tire, but the new generation of "gummy" tires are simply amazing.

Rear: Kenda K787 Equilibrium 4.50 x 18 6 ply ($80.61) @ 5-7 psi
Front: Goldentyre Fatty 90/100-21 ($99.95) @ 5-7 psi
I run heavy duty tubes. Terrain is tight single track, steep ups and downs, logging roads, etc.

I have ridden about 100 miles so far on these tires. They look like I just put them on still. They are wearing very well. The traction is a huge leap forward from the Michelin S12

Both tires have very stiff sidewalls and very flexible center treads which allows the tire conform to the terrain. They are amazing in the roots, rocks, mud you name it. It didn't matter if it was really wet or hardpacked dry. Could do 60 on a logging road no wondering around with the low pressures. Never even came close to hitting the rim on rocks.

Just unbelievable difference in tires. If you have not tried the new gummy tires, you owe to yourself to do so.

So far have done one ride with the Shinko 505 / Fatty combination.

First impressions , really positive reaction to the front. As everyone says it doesn't deflect as much , more stable and better for tech riding

It was only one ride of about 4 hours but did not notice any major negatives to the handling from the front

I did notice the increased height of the front but it did not affect the handling and didn't bother me.

I noticed no real difference from the rear . The conditions were very muddy (rarely ride in these sort of conditions) so not the type of conditions I would expect to see big advantages from a gummy. But no negatives either in the muddy conditions so all good!

Back