throttle housing screw question

imsimon

Hello. I had my throttle cable snap last week. I see im not the only one!!
Ive gone to undo the two screws on the throttle housing and the main on in the circle bit if tgat makes sense I.e. the closest to the front of the bike is completely rounded off. Ive been trying a few bits but it just isnt budging! Does anyone know what Size the thread of this screw is as i may have to resort to drilling it out (scarey)

Cheers
si

Think its the same sized thread as the top one (near round part). I have a few spare throttle housings here so can double check if that helps.

I find best approach with phillips heads/flat blade screw heads on bikes is to use an impact (the kind you hit with a hammer) and a good quality bit. Sometimes I'll start with a normal screw driver just for ease, but if it doesn't want to crack its easier to pull the impact out than try and deal with a rounded screw.

Master cylinder covers, carb bowl screws, etc all seem to suffer the same.

Once its flogged out its hard to recover. You might be able to cut a small channel across the head and get a flat blade to bite, but its a recessed screw and sits flush. An easy out might do it - but from all experiences when they don't work they just make more work. I'd probably go a left hand drill bit and hope that while drilling it backs it out for you.

thanks for all your input! with the assistance of a friend sorted it today.
we (he) drilled down enough to take the top of the screw out and then pull the plastic housing off leaving the small bit of the screw attached which simply pulled out don't think that makes sense but it worked and all back together nicely now!

thanks for your help!

Back