TM Designworks Chain Guide?

SpeedyManiac

Has anyone tested out a TM chain guide? All the reviews say they're good, but I wonder if it's any better than the Honda XR guide I'm using with the LTR bracket?

The reason I'm asking is I managed to trash the XR guide, resulting in my chain falling off a couple times in my last race. I've used the stock chain guide too but don't want something metal. The TM guide looks great, but at $100 US for it and the bracket, I want to make sure it will work as well as advertised.

Steve

If the LTR bracket is still good, I would just buy a replacement XR guide for it. I have a TM guide on my bike from the previous owner. It works fine and I have had no structural issues with it. My master link clip does seem to wear quick than I would like.

On my old bike, I had the LTR/XR guide combo. The XR guide is nice with the rubber insert. I don't recall it wearing the master link clip (like my TM does). The plastic sides of the XR guide are thinner than the TM. The entire TM assembly is glass-filled nylon (I guessing but its appearance) with more stiffness than the XR guide.

Here is the TM guide on my 2007 EC250:
image0003.jpg

Here is the LTR guide on my 2001 XC250:
image0001-3.jpg

I do not have personal experience with the TM guide but have heard it does transfer more noise than the XR guide.

MattR you may get less wear on your master link clip if you flip the link and clip to the other side of your chain.

Roscoe

I've beat the crap out of the LTR/XR guides on three bikes. I never had to replace one. One time I had a real slammer of a rock hit that bent one of the lower bolts. The guide looked trashed but a new bolt pulled it back to shape and perfectly usable.

I pulled the bolt through the plastic side. I bit the bullet and ordered a TM designs chain guide. I like the 1 piece chain guide idea.

You should keep the LTR guide as a backup - I have a spare XR chain guide I will send you. From an engineering standpoint it is better than the TM Designworks - and I don't care about pushing it because Les doesn't make them any more - more the reason for you to hang on to it.

jeff

Same thing happened. Replace the ftat head countersunk bolts with cap screws and fender washers. No more pull through. Another thing nice about the XR guide is there is a bit more clearance to the chain and sprocket.

Anyone know where I can get an LTR guide before they disapear forever?That does look like a really nice setup.

The TM Designs that I used on my KTM requires the masterlink clip on the inside of the chain and the thing seemed noisy to me. I have a BRP one on their now which is another nice unit.

Please don't beat me up too bad, but being a new GasGas owner and having little or no experience with these bikes I have to ask........what is the problem with the stock chain guide? I was going to buy aftermarket but after running the stock one for the past 2 months out here in Arizona where we have a rock or 2 the stock one seems to be holding up great. And this is not just on my bike ('08 EC300), but also my son's bike ('09 EC250R). I'm an old fat guy so I'm probably not a good test abuser, but my son is a fast A guy and runs everything to the limit. So, what am I setting myself up for? If it's huge liability then I need to change the one on my son's bike at least. He will be contesting our local HS and Enduro series on this bike of which he is currently leading in the 250 A class. If he DNF's because of the chain guide I will feel like crap and he won't be too happy. Thanks.

For the most part, the stock chain guide is great. BUT, it's metal so if it does bend, it won't return to its normal shape. You can lose valuable time if you smash it on a rock and need to straighten it trail side to get the chain back on the sprockets. I managed to smash the stocker on some rocks in Greece at the ISDE. For your son I'd recommend getting either the LTR conversion kit or the TM Designworks guide. For you, the stocker is probably just fine.

For the most part, the stock chain guide is great. BUT, it's metal so if it does bend, it won't return to its normal shape.
Ahhh, good point, just like we used to run just the rub block on the KTM's and remove the aluminum cage. Sounds like a TM it is. Thanks.

tm chain guide

Am i blind? I did not see GG listed on the tm web page, does another bikes fit the GG or do i need new glasses!

They have terrible website. Use the search feature and it will show up.

I've had good luck with the TM for over a year now. I ride 90% rocks. The guide takes a terrible beating and still works fine.

I ordered one also, we'll see how she does with a real rock basher like myself.

Got a TM Designs and put it on my son's bike, no time to really test durability, it looks bulletproof, guess we'll see how it does in Wyoming and Montana. I'll throw the stock one in the tool bag just in case.;)

F G,
Just wondering how the TM guide is going and how I order one these days.
I can't seem to get into their website.
Cheers Mark

Thanks Sideshowbob,
Works much better,How do they last and are the replacement inner guides $25?
Cheers Mark

Back