Top end rebuild question

Tripp

I've never done any of this so bare that in mind if questions are borderline stupid. I bought the 2012 EC 250r and have put 15 hours on it mainly just goofing around on easy trails and a few times opening it up all the way. Supposedly top end was "recently" rebuilt before I bought it

Do the 2 rings on the piston need to be orientated in a certain way?

My carb had green radiator fluid in it when I took it off. And in the float bowl was some green gunk stuck to the bottom. Would that be from top end issues? The carb is Smartcarb SC2

Are there any specific ways to clean the cylinder or recommend brushes? Or just warm soapy water and toothbrush?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20230821_181346.jpg
    IMG_20230821_181346.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230821_181407.jpg
    IMG_20230821_181407.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 17
What is this rod that is hooked around that other piece? And can someone explain how to take that rod off?

Attachments

• IMG_20230822_163652.jpg
    IMG_20230822_163652.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 19
I've never done any of this so bare that in mind if questions are borderline stupid. I bought the 2012 EC 250r and have put 15 hours on it mainly just goofing around on easy trails and a few times opening it up all the way. Supposedly top end was "recently" rebuilt before I bought it

Do the 2 rings on the piston need to be orientated in a certain way?

My carb had green radiator fluid in it when I took it off. And in the float bowl was some green gunk stuck to the bottom. Would that be from top end issues? The carb is Smartcarb SC2

Are there any specific ways to clean the cylinder or recommend brushes? Or just warm soapy water and toothbrush?

Thank you

1) Yes. Marking on the ring tips need to face up
2) Green fluid looks like premix after the gasoline evaporated.
3) I used a ball hone. Very gently. A Brillo pad and soapy water works well too. Just rinse really well.

What is this rod that is hooked around that other piece? And can someone explain how to take that rod off?

Just remove the bell crank off the shaft and unhook the rod.

DO Not pull up on the rod. You can dislodge the power valve governor balls.

Just remove the bell crank off the shaft and unhook the rod.

DO Not pull up on the rod. You can dislodge the power valve governor balls.

I might have messed up then :( I pulled up on it at first when I was trying to get the bolt out from inside the loop, before I made the earlier post. What are the symptoms of dislodged power valve governor balls?

As long as you didn't pull up past the normal cycling range, you'll be ok.

You should feel some resistance when you pull up on the rod.

As long as you didn't pull up past the normal cycling range, you'll be ok.

You should feel some resistance when you pull up on the rod.

Ok thanks. Yes I felt some resistance so I stopped pulling up on it. I'm still a little confused about the rings on the piston. The kit should be in the mail today. I didn't notice how the rings were when I pulled the cylinder off, they might have turned and did whatever when I was handling it. The attached picture is at some point after I took it off. Do the openings of the rings line up with those little pins on the piston like in the picture?

Attachments

• IMG_20230822_180234.jpg
    IMG_20230822_180234.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 14
Yes, exactly. Those pins are there to stop the rings from rotating.

I finally got all the parts and everything back together, just have some loose ends left with exhaust. Is there anything specific I need to do to break it in after the rebuild? Anything specific I shouldn't do?

Don't idle it. Let it warm up normal, ride it around a bit gently 10 min. Check water etc.

Progressively rag it harder. By lunchtime it's run in.

Don't lose any sleep over it.

Back