Valve maintenance 450 engine

speeddemon

I have a Gas Gas Halley 450 2009(fsr450 engine). It has run 55 hours now. It still runs as smooth as when i first rode it. The manual says maintenance at 60 hours but that seems very soon (60 hours x 40 km= 2400 km). Does anybody know at how much hours i should check and adjust the valves?

if the manual says 60hrs I would still check them being a new bike and all. If clearances are off then you will know to recheck every 60 going forward. If everything checks good with no adjustments necessary I would lengthen the next interval. But that's just how I would do things (not always the correct way).

got my 450 adjusted at 3500kms and the dealer said one or two of the shims where out, but i did not notice any difference when i got the bike back, ive done 7800kms now and all is well still starts quickly. I would get them checked it is not much cost and then you should be able to get double the kms again before another check, one guy here claims 10,000kms/ 6000miles and still have not moved.

Thanks for the replies, i will check the valves next month when i have ridden it 70 to 80 hours. I don't think it will be necessary by then, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the replies, i will check the valves next month when i have ridden it 70 to 80 hours. I don't think it will be necessary by then, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I asked a big GG enduro dealer about valve maintainance and he said "don't worry about it, it will become hard to start when they need adjusted". As they're shim valves, I'd leave it till then :p

Back