vintage bikes

paulos

I notice a few members have vintage bikes listed in their profiles. I've restored a couple to race in vintage mx over here in oz, and am in the process of putting a modified RL250 trials bike together. Thought it might interest some, and if you've got something, post it up.

IMG_20150108_192622_zpsff482284.jpg

What i started with

project3.jpg

I'm in the process of rejuvenating a 73 CB750 then plan on restoring a 72 TC125.
I notice a few members have vintage bikes listed in their profiles. I've restored a couple to race in vintage mx over here in oz, and am in the process of putting a modified RL250 trials bike together. Thought it might interest some, and if you've got something, post it up.

IMG_20150108_192622_zpsff482284.jpg

What i started with

project3.jpg

I have quite a few project bikes hanging around from trail 90's to an old Kawi KE250. But I just hauled a 1973 CB175 home from Oregon. We were visiting family and told me I should have brought a trailer to haul this old bike home. I looked at it and found a complete CB sitting under a tarp since 1999. I ran to Harbor Freight and grabbed a hitch carrier for it.

4C6401BA-2DA3-463F-9C70-0F4E451CCBB6.jpg

I cleaned the varnish out of the carbs, put some fresh gas in it and it started on the fourth kick. After a few days tinkering with it, here's how it sits.

It had quite a bit of surface rust. Most cleaned up pretty good but I think I may have all of the chrome parts powdercoated gloss black.

Great find! That tank and seat look almost mint.

Personally I'd leave it as it is, but you saved it from the wreckers so your call ;) cool bike either way.

Great find! That tank and seat look almost mint.

Personally I'd leave it as it is, but you saved it from the wreckers so your call ;) cool bike either way.

Thanks man! Yeah I was surprised how well preserved it was. I think it was just a healthy level of humidity and mild temps. The tank has just a little staining around the gas cap and a couple of little chips but other than that it's near perfect. The seat is pretty much mint. I've never had an old bike in such good condition. Usually I'm just happy if most of the parts are there.

I might leave it as is. Some of the Chrome won't clean up so I'll have to do something with that.

Here is my 1975 Honda XL250
I am the second owner, my Uncle bought this bike in 1975 new and gave it to my a couple of years ago.
Until now the bike has 1000 miles on it and the first chain and brakes are still on.
I rode it one on a locar classic enduro and finished second!

Attachments

• Honda_Werl_2012 042.jpg
    Honda_Werl_2012 042.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 39
  • normal_1156840.jpg
    normal_1156840.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 32
  • normal_1157172.jpg
    normal_1157172.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 37
  • normal_1157174.jpg
    normal_1157174.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 33
Elvis74: ...
Very cool Mathias. Looks like your preparing to scrub that jump in the third picture. Showoff.

I have done twinshock and pre65 mx for the last 15 years, heres my old tricked out xr500, bored motor, white bros arm, ohlins shocks, 45 zooks, husky front wheel, ktm pegs, mikuni carb. super trapp. Very reliable, just keep the oil changed regularly.

Attachments

• Picture 049.jpg
    Picture 049.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 33
Vintage bikes became an obsession with me and here is one of my cooler ones: A 1981 Gilera 125 MX. Not much went into restoration as I wanted to be able to enjoy it...It needed a new pipe (the one on it when I got it was a YZ 125 pipe that was cut and rewelded to "fit"). This was the only one imported to the USA in 1981 and it came with the complete spares kit which is mostly intact except the spare motor (included in the spares kit) was installed as the original motor is seized. It sounds like a works bike!!

Eric

Last edited:
Vintage bikes became an obsession with me and here is one of my cooler ones: A 1981 Gilera 125 MX. Not much went into restoration as I wanted to be able to enjoy it...It needed a new pipe (the one on it when I got it was a YZ 125 pipe that was cut and rewelded to "fit"). This was the only one imported to the USA in 1981 and it came with the complete spares kit which is mostly intact except the spare motor (included in the spares kit) was installed as the original motor is seized. It sounds like a works bike!!

Eric

That is cool! The boutique euro bikes of that era are fantastic.

awesome work!loving those old yz's,interesting front brake setup with the linkage rod operating the other brake shoe!makes me wish I kept my ole pe175!

Back