Water pump impeller contacted cover

VxZeroKnots

Gold Level Site Supporter
howdy all. I thought I'd read somewhere about the above being an issue on the newer bikes? Mine is a 12 and took a nasty hit to the water pump cover quite a while ago.

I didn't think much of it but on inspection today I can see the impeller contacted the cover when the rock hit must have shifted it. The cover is slightly scored and as are the tips on the impeller vanes. You can't see the damage the the vanes but can feel it with your fingernail?

What all should I replace? The impeller and the cover or just the impeller? Perhaps the wp bearing and seal while I'm in there? Like I said, this probably happened some time ago (~50 hrs) and I got lucky so I think it's mostly ship shape but I want to be cautious.

When I rebuilt my top end I did a billet Checkpoint water pump impeller and replaced the seal. My impeller was contacting the housing so I painted the edge of the vanes with a sharpie then put the cover on and rolled the engine over. Then I removed the impeller and put a bolt and nut through it and chucked it into a drill and ran it against sandpaper where it was making contact. I had to do this a few times to get it right. The last few times I started the bike and let it get hot to make sure it was t hitting the cover when at operating temps.

Back