What GPS do you use?

farmerj

Platinum Level Site Supporter
Can anyone educate me on what is the best way to "map your route" and follow it out on the trail?

Do you use a GPS, smart-phone with a map app., or get a paper version?

Can a smartphone do what a GPS can these days?

Which map app. is best?

With mapcarta, I can follow the fireroads around in the forest, but the screen area is so small that it's hard to get "the big picture."

Jeff

BTW, don't know if I posted in the right forum or not...

There are two ways to go. Something small and simple that records tracks: Trailtech Voyager OR a real GPS with a decently large screen: Garmin Montana.

(OR go with whatever phone app you like)

Whatever "GPS" method you decide on...Use it side by side with a good map. While Sat. signals can be scewed, your eyesight probably won't, so you can still navigate by map. Overhead canopies block signals, batteries die, but a good 'ole fashioned map will always be there for you.

HI mate

the best map for detail is a 1:25 000as there more detail and bigger grid squares, but not as much ground on the map sheet

1:50 000 has a smaller grid square but has more ground covered. back in my army days i used 1:50 000 for everything with no probs at all
i have still got a garmin GPS i'm going to be using it this coming weekend for some trail riding in wales. i can let you know how i got on, but it is a case of saving way point or entering grid references from the map and follow the arrow, but beware of the ground it will take you across.

im sure there is much better tech on the market now but gant go wrong with a map lol i dont trust all this computer crap lol

grant

Motion-X GPS

If you are comfortable using iPhone apps let me recommend Motion-X GPS. I have used it for trail mapping, marking, and general navigation. It works very well and is easy to learn and use. One option that it offers is to cache basemap data for those trips where you are off the network. By downloading in advance you have the underlying basemap already stored on the iPhone. The system uses the iPhone's GPS to handle location even in remote areas. There may be a Droid version as well.

Like all apps the use location services it will use more battery life. That's the only real short coming as opposed to something permanently mounted on the bike. Good luck researching and for my curiosity I'd like to know what you end up choosing.

Like all apps the use location services it will use more battery life. That's the only real short coming as opposed to something permanently mounted on the bike.

I had high hopes regarding GPS when I started using a smart phone. My phone is Samsung Omnia 7, a windows 7 phone.

While I find several GPS apps quite useful both for finding my way and tracking my movements, the conclusion is that its useless in real world scenarios due to the short battery life. When I run a GPS tracking app (in my case: runtastic), it will last for a maximum of 3 hours until completely dead. So for navigation in the wilderness I would not use it.

Other apps and other phones may be better, I did never do any battery capacity comparision between different types of phones. Using this one is not my own choice (I got it at work).

Wow, great info. guys. You are helping me find what I am after. I think I get it - if you're going to be out for long periods of time, battery life on a phone is going to be a problem (I suppose one could carry an extra battery...)

So my quick read is: I'll try Motion-X on the iPhone.

If that doesn't suffice, Garmin of some kind.

An issue for me is not wanting to learn a whole software package, and then have to start over if it isn't "the right one" - so some research helps.

Kinda scary being able to be "tracked" these days, but if I lose my buddy while riding in the woods - it would help us "hook up" again. Plus my wife can see when I will be home late for dinner!

Thanks for the input,

Jeff

If your going to use your iPhone, get hold of a case which has a built in battery for extra life, and then look at a back up GPS like a garmin which takes AA battery's that way if it runs out you can easily replace them.

I use the trail tech voyager and a paper map. The voyager fits in neatly to replace the stock computer. Runs off the bike power. The speed sensor is the same and its tough. (Had another riders footage hit the screen when I fell off in a hare and hounds without damage). Never lost signal and records your route well. Easy to follow. The downside is it has no maps so is only any good to record routes and then re-follis them. Or you can create a gpx route on the computer and follow that. Still need a paper map though.

In the areas that we tend to ride, cell phone coverage/service is spotty at best. Combine that with relatively short battery life, and the cell-phone GPS app is no good for me.
I use a Garmin Oregon 550 and carry a map book and compass as back up.

Tracking System

Here is another option that I researched a year or two ago.

http://www.findmespot.com/

This system allows you to share your track with family or others. It records your location via a satellite communication system onto a webservice. Then mom, dad, husband or whomever you designate can log on and see where you are located.

The one spectacular feature this service offers an emergency function that can alert local rescue authorities that you are in trouble.

The downside of this system is that it requires a subscription service for an annual fee.

I use the Oregon now, had a CS76 and it seemed to track better in the forest, but was a smaller screen. I learned to bring one when Girard and Robby started leaving me out there... the Oregon is a big small if your eyesight is going like mine...

HI mate

the best map for detail is a 1:25 000as there more detail and bigger grid squares, but not as much ground on the map sheet

1:50 000 has a smaller grid square but has more ground covered. back in my army days i used 1:50 000 for everything with no probs at all
i have still got a garmin GPS i'm going to be using it this coming weekend for some trail riding in wales. i can let you know how i got on, but it is a case of saving way point or entering grid references from the map and follow the arrow, but beware of the ground it will take you across.

im sure there is much better tech on the market now but gant go wrong with a map lol i dont trust all this computer crap lol

grant
Where did you get to , we were at llangollen on sunday :D

I use a Nike sportwatch with a built in Tom Tom. Record my route, then I can print it off on paper when I download the data. It isn't something you can look at on the trail, but use it for reference later, but you can link it to your phone for real time data. I haven't had the need. I have used a free app called run pro on my Galaxy S III that worked pretty well, but I need to protect the phone better before I do that with any regularity.

I use a Nike sportwatch with a built in Tom Tom. Record my route, then I can print it off on paper when I download the data. It isn't something you can look at on the trail, but use it for reference later, but you can link it to your phone for real time data. I haven't had the need. I have used a free app called run pro on my Galaxy S III that worked pretty well, but I need to protect the phone better before I do that with any regularity.

roostafish, Your post brings up a question I've been meaning to ask. Does anyone have a good way of mounting their smart phones or making them quickly accessible without the risk of loosing or damaging them. I currently carry mine in my Camelbak in bubble wrap inside a foam beer cozy. I maybe a little on the paranoid side, although I already had a hard get off over the bars hitting the ground face down only to find that my cell phone screen had an internal crack. Destroying the phone couldn't see the screen. This phone was packaged the same way in my Camelbak in bubble wrap inside a foam beer cozy. Not a smart phone probably 8-10 yrs ago so maybe they are less prone to damage now. I couldn't believe it broke but it did. Thankfully although sore and bruised I was not hurt.

Back