Yamaha YZ 300 GYRT Kit

ATHENA 300cc Big Bore Kit for YZ250

This all new two-stroke kit increases YZ250 displacement to 293cc.

? Cylinder is nickel-carbide plated with enlarged water passages for exceptional durability and performance

? Bore increased to 72mm (stock is 66.4mm); stroke remains the same as stock (72mm)

? 15:1 compression ratio

? Forged, domed piston

? No case machining necessary

? Kit includes cylinder, head, piston, rings, pin, clips, power valve assembly, and all required gaskets

YZ models are for closed-course use regardless of modification.

Fits ?03~?13 YZ250

DBY-ACC56-34-48

DBY-ACC56-34-48 $1,294.99

Not sure this signals any new direction from Yamaha, seeing as how they are just putting their GYTR label on the Athena kit, and Athena has made a big bore kit for the 2T 125 and the 250F for years now. After riding my YZ250 for years, I'm not sure if a 300 kit would give a clear advantage over a well jetted stock displacement motor. My 2006 has a lot of low end poke and a fun mid, even before I had it ported and the head milled for 50/50 pump and race fuel. Wow!

Not sure about the Athena kit, but lots of big bore YZ motors tested in the past have some tradeoffs for the increased torque - increased vibration, harder starting and less top end are the three I've heard. Common to all brands with displacement increases.

Now if Yamaha dropped their 2T motors into the new 2014 chassis for the 250/450F, that would be a strong statement that they intend to continue 2T development and sales focus, IMHO.

I have a buddy who works for Yamaha Canada and he says there is a good chance that EU will get a YZ300 next year. He did say it will be a YZ250 with a factory installed Athena 300 kit.

I have a buddy who works for Yamaha Canada and he says there is a good chance that EU will get a YZ300 next year. He did say it will be a YZ250 with a factory installed Athena 300 kit.

That makes a lot of sense. New 4T sales are down and 4T resale value is poor. Also, the four stroke development along with aluminum chassis development is stagnant. I bought one of the first YZ400s brought into the US. It was a fun bike but it weighed about 254 pounds. Now, the new aluminum 450s weigh only about twelve pounds less even with the aluminum frame. That is stagnant development, IMHO.

The 300cc kit is Yamaha's reply to KTM & TM 300MX bikes to be used on the European 300 2-stroke championship next year. Yamaha doesn't really want to invest on 2st but doesn't want to be left out of the game. It's a good choice if someone want to go with the YZ for this championship . I have to admit it would be awesome to see the "old" Yamaha beating the crap out of recent KTMs :D:D

If they would offer the YZ in an XC version, Adjustable Power Valve, bigger tank, WR tranny, 18" rear wheel, they would break sales records.

I would like a new steel frame too. Alum is just too rigid and I felt the vibrations way more on the Alum frame.

If they would offer the YZ in an XC version, Adjustable Power Valve, bigger tank, WR tranny, 18" rear wheel, they would break sales records.

Amen!

If this was available when I was making the transition to 2 strokes, I'd likely not have ended up here.

I would like a new steel frame too. Alum is just too rigid and I felt the vibrations way more on the Alum frame.

The olderYZ WRA 250 has a great wide ratio.....the current WR wheel set will bolt right up to the YZ.....It seems Yamaha could make this happen pretty easily. If they wanted too.

The South African yamaha dealers have been offering this setup for years. you can buy a brand new (in the broadest sense as it is basically a 10 year old design lol) yz250 with wr gearbox, weighted flywheel, long range tank, protection (bark busters, skid etc) 18" wheel (think this may be only for those guys that insist on it), suspension revalve and i think even a radiator fan.
I almost got this bike, but decided the GG was a better option as the YZ/WR is still an mx bike at heart and works for a more aggressive rider - it tends to rev up a lot quicker as soon as you loose traction. The GG was about 10$ cheaper as well!

Wade young rode the yz-f with this conversion and a 290 kit as well to a win at teh roof of africa 2012

This is what the new zealand GG rider Mitchell Nield rode at the last two Roof of Africa extreme enduros and they even fitted a headlight on it (battery was mounted behind the headlight). This guy is a machine though, he broke his collarbone on the time trial, skipped the second day and rode the last day for fun(??? broken collar bone!!) and finished in the top 30 having started last!

Would there be any way to make money by buying up a few new year yz250s and doing the conversion to xc and re selling as a new bike? Just wondering

Back