1993 Honda XR 250 R Full Restoration

Sorry for the delay on posting. Took bike down to the frame, removed engine.
RNJ1d1dl.jpg

6q4ibdMl.jpg

Going to split the cases, rebuild crank, replace all bearings/seals,replace clutch,cam chain, replace valve stem seals.

HcigxhXl.jpg

This countershaft mount hole will be repaired by my local machine shop.

KuN2mF8l.jpg

Before reassembly going to powdercoat or cerakote cases/covers in magnesium brown. They should look something like this,
1M98OGzm.png

Going to pull rear wheel apart, after powder coating going to install black excel rims front and rear with Excel or Buchanan spokes and tubliss front and rear. However I am going to install a 96 rm 250 front wheel not the xr front wheel.

I just picked up these 96 RM 250 conventional closed cartridge 49mm showas with triple clamp.
0IanKqfl.png

This is the triple clamp,
ZTwEFDTl.jpg

I just got the RM front hub,it will be powder coated black or silver and laced to a new excel rim.
ME2Tq6Xl.jpg

I already picked up a few other parts as well. RK 520 oring chain,

wf0oIiXl.jpg

Braking rear rotor,
RvpM39fl.jpg

ProTaper EVO Handlebars, I will have to fit some 1 1/8 adapters onto the stock Suzuki triple clamp. I will be ordering a bearing kit from all balls in order mount the RM front end to the XR.
ePGFcDzl.jpg

New pro taper countershaft sprocket and a supersprox rear sprocket.
R0yzHRAl.jpg

The 93 frame had a slightly tweaked foot peg mount,it wasn?t much but I found a pristine 94 XR250R Frame and I am going to go with it, it was delivered yesterday.Photos to follow.

94 Frame

I posted a few of these photos on another thread regarding small issues with my 93 frame. My new to me 94 frame just arrived with my 96 RM 250 conventional closed cartridge forks and triples. This is just a test fit, no bearings installed yet.

UDGj9l1l.jpg

The steering stops are dead on and the RM forks and Old XR fork are both exactly 36 inches.

t2GLXAJl.jpg

Rm caliper and bracket.
kFs5A1Kl.jpg

sG0N4znl.jpg

Update

I had a few too many projects going at once but I am back on the XR again.
I just started splitting the cases. The exterior of the cases looked kinda shabby but no damage except a countershaft guard bolt hole.

wJfcI5ql.jpg

BusFnd6l.jpg

BKH5Jp3l.jpg

Case Splitting

Well, I was a little worried about what I was going to find inside. This was an all original bike on the standard piston but I was afraid that I would find damage and maybe debris inside. Well, guess what, the inside of the engine is pristine, no damage, no metal shavings nada.
Here is the flywheel side, the puller that I used is right next to the socket. It took about 6 seconds to pull the flywheel off.

EPv2Q7Vl.jpg

lBgUglVl.jpg

lrmA2cil.jpg

This is the part number for the flywheel puller.

GqE4Jv0l.jpg

B1ReSRTl.jpg

CX7aYgIl.jpg

Last edited:
Clutch Side

The clutch side was next. I was worried about this side, I expected to find maybe debris or damage.

BusFnd6l.jpg

The clutch cover came off without any problems.One of the case bolts was corroded but I was able to get it out without any problems.

uRY1QHMl.jpg

The clutch looked good inside, no damage no debris. The basket and plates looked very good.
G49gDMsl.jpg

dfOJxTtl.jpg

LbAYZ1Tl.jpg

EyN8GaIl.jpg

This is the clutch basket nut, it requires a special tool to remove it. It costs like $8.00 on Amazon. Just slide an extension into the tool, then place it on the bolt and remove, it?s weird compared to a two stroke basket but no big deal.

n7782xZl.jpg

u1WEsNOl.jpg

I3tKDNll.jpg

Basket just slid right out without any problems.

dfOJxTtl.jpg

Like I said before, no damage on the inside of the clutch cover.I am not sure if the bike has ever been apart before.
uRY1QHMl.jpg

hx2hDial.jpg

Last edited:
FTah7Gol.jpg

This is where I am in the tear down so far. After splitting the cases and removing the crank, I am going to send the cases out and to be powder coated and the crank out for a rebuild(even though it feels fine).:D

Well I haven't Posted on this Thread in Forever

The title says it all. I have got too many bikes right now. I am running out of space. I have 5 bikes, 4 cars and a truck. My XR build has stalled and I wondered if anyone would want to take her home and get her going. She will need a front rim a rear rim and spokes, 2nd over piston and everything else is ready to be bead blasted and powdercoated. Is $400.00 fair?I have a new black excel rim in the box for $100.00 more.

If no one wants her, I will get back onto the build this fall.

You have 4 cars and you are running out of space for bikes?.??.

Selling 3 will release funds and more than a little space :D

XR Full Restore Thread Restarted

Ok, I got some other stuff out of the way. I have decided to keep the XR ( so she is not for sale anymore)and go forward with the full restore. I want a tight single track machine that turns well.

I am going to use an XR 200R frame and engine(2 valve)and incorporate more modern suspension and parts from the 250. I have the wheels,tires, forks,triples etc. I am going to cad plate the fasteners. I am looking for an 2 valve engine and a xr 200 frame. I have to source a CR 125 swingarm but I am unsure which year will be more adaptable.

Hold on this should be fun. :D

You want an xr200 frame that is "full cradle" or start with (or a crf230 chassis) - earlier ones used the engine as the bottom support member... Not sure of the years.

The CR swingarm on an older XR is definitely a "no go". The linkage ratios are completely different on an XR versus a CR. e.g. I think you run with a 11.0 or 12.0 rear spring on an XR.

Check out BBR motorsports for XR200/CRF230 motors stuffed into CR frames...

Look here for a nicely set up crf200... tlr/xr200 motor into a crf150f rolling chassis...

https://www.lt-racing.com/html/crf150f.html

Les built this for his daughter...

FYI - the xr200 motor is about 20 pounds lighter than the xr250 motor. e.g. approx 60 pounds vs 80 pounds.

You can also check out the xr250s he built over the years. I raced them off road through the years and had 4 of them along the way...

https://www.lt-racing.com/html/xr250r_s.html

jeff

BBR and more

Thanks Jeff,

I am going through the BBR stuff it looks great. It seems like there are a lot build options.:D

Johnny

Back