2010 EC 300 engine taming mods. Which order?

Cheers Jakobi, I'll check that measurement when carb apart next.

No worries. The key is to make sure you rest the carb on its side so that it just depresses the needle valve. If you flip it right upside down you'll get an incorrect reading. It'll all make sense once you have it off the bike. I also bench test it with the bowl off and the carb connected to the tank and modulate the floats with my finger to see when the fuel cuts off. Helps make sense of it all and no doubts about if its working.

Cheers

Just park that 250f and put in as much seat time on the 300 as you can over the next month. Then try them back to back.

Hhaha, sounds like a plan gasgas.

I was out the other night on both of them and whilst I enjoyed the predictable easy going wr, switching to the gassser instantly showed how light and agile it is.

6mm is stock I think. Will get the seam about level. I recommend between 7-8mm due to the angle that the carb mounts.

For the older models its 16mm stock.

Attachments

• ASIIlevel.jpg
    ASIIlevel.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 33
Thats a pretty angry setup. The N3 needles have a big transition from rich to lean in the mid range which makes them hit hard. The bike is probably a bit rich off the bottom with a G diameter needle too. Fair bit of burbling up to 1/8th throttle and then a rocket ship. Lean main should give big over rev too.

I'd suggest trying a 42 NEDJ in clip 2 and 172 main

I'd be tempted to go richer to a 178 on the main jet, maybe try both

Am intending to order some jets and needles on monday.
Will go with jakobis suggestion first and then try some experimentation (sunday word) with other sizes from there.
+1 -1 on jets, needle diameter etc.

As you are in Cornwall wasp4banger (going there on hol in a couple of weeks, not with the bike though)
Is there a jetting set up that suits our 'unique' climate?

I'd be tempted to go richer to a 178 on the main jet, maybe try both

The N3xx needle he is running is a dual taper needle with a thick (lean) tip. For this I would suggest a 178. The NEDx needle has a thinner (richer) needle tip and supplys more fuel. Thats why I suggested a 172. Comparitively between both setups the 172 and 178 are about the same in terms of total fuel flow. Peace.

Would the jetting account for hard 'hot' starting?
Just something I noticed the other day. After stopping when hot the bike took awhile to bark into life.

Would the jetting account for hard 'hot' starting?
Just something I noticed the other day. After stopping when hot the bike took awhile to bark into life.

Nods.. Bet it blows a load of smoke once it starts too.. I always crack the throttle a touch when kicking once hot. Fires first time almost every time. Even in gear. If its had a lay down I just open the throttle more.

I agree with others that getting the right needle can really help reduce the hit. If you really want to mellow the hit take the power valve a part and remove 2 of the governor balls. You will really have to rev the bike to get the power valve to open but it will open and still rev. It will not catch gear to gear as very easy in soft soil because the RPM's will fall and the power valve will close. I have not done this on the 300 GasGas but have done this trick to mellow out a 250 MX bike so a beginner could ride it off road.

I also tend to like heavy flywheels but for what you are wanting to do I would not spend the money on a flywheel weight.

I also like heavy flywheels on the 300 (200 didn't need it) & I would spend your money on one, largely because it isn't my money, but I liked how it made muddy up hill off camber turns easier to negotiate without the rear end lighting up. In the dry, not so much benefit except hard to stall. I'd rate it as best mod for me.

FWW is the thing to go for along with the right needle.
i did that to soften my 300 but didn't realize then that a needle could bring such a difference. that's what i felt when i switched to a 200 and put a thicker (leaner) needle in.
the 200 hit a bit hard too but no more after the needle.
i'll try to put one in the 300 if i start riding it again ,if i should ever get tired of the 200 :rolleyes: NOT!!
i love the 200 over the 300.
the 300 is too much for me as it was, it could be softened some more but for now it's the 200 for me and i feel very comfortable with it.
i geared down to 12/50 and it feels good,i ride slow trails.
got a CCL needle (clip pos 3) 45 PJ and 180 MJ (may go to 178 MJ)
Belgium has more or less the same weather conditions as UK and i got those recommendations from a UK rider on the forum here.

hope you get along with the 300 and if not, you can't go wrong at all with the 200 (just don't ride the WR 4t):D

cheers.

cheers all for all the great info.

I have however had a slight change of circumstance.

As I have said before in this thread that I loved the power of the 250f motor but disliked the big heavy feel of the wr.
The 300 2t was fab , but....

To cut a long story short, I was about to order jets and stuff to do some of the mods suggested here, when I got a phone call from Mr Knight.
"Baz, do you still want a 250f motor?"
"err, yup"
"Well, I've got a Gas Gas 250f sat here if you want to part ex your 300 against it"
"I'll be round in ten....

So now I have a 2010 model year gg250f that wasn't sold by gguk until a local lad bought it over here new in late 2011.
It has done 4hrs and 450 miles.

I'll put some pics up in the pics n vids section, but here is a quick shot from my phone this afternoon.

2012-08-07175032.jpg

trick looking bike, sad to see you leave the 2stroke family :rolleyes:
have a great time with it anyway!:cool:

cheers, Hannes.

having a read through this thread i have noticed a couple of times about a switch to sun or rain mode could some one explain this to me or is it a thing on the newer gassers im lost lol:confused:

grant

I am sure someone more knowlegable than me will tell you correctly, but I was under the impression that it was a map switch. In rain mode it flattered the ign curve to soften the upper range.

But I may be off. lol

@hannes, I havn't left completely, I have two trails 2t's and I'm picking up an 80's kdx 175 later in the year.
(the guy I'm getting it off is away working at the olimpics at the mo.

Yeah just a map switch from the CDI. I can't remember what year they started with it. I'm thinking 05+ had the capability but just pulling from memory. A search will reveal all.

Back