2011 6 Days 300 Initial ride

mlbco

Some background info: I'm a 50 year old (165 lb, 5' 9") off road rider that occasionally races B class in Northern California cross country events. I've ridden KTMs since 1999 and most recently a 2007 KTM 300 XCW and a 2008 KTM 450 EXCR. I bought a 2011 Gas Gas 300 Six Days because I wanted to try a bike with different handling, preferably more like a Japanese bike. I read some of the reviews on this forum and thought I would be getting a more agile version of my KTM 300 with a smoother engine. Here's what I found during my first ride at Hollister Hills in Hollister, CA.

Even before my ride I did the following mod's to the bike:
1) Enduro Engineering Kickstand auto-retraction override
2) BPR plastic block chain slider
3) Lowered rear brake pedal by cutting down brake adjustment bolt.
4) Cycra hand guards
5) Trail Tech Vector ride computer
6) Installed normal choke knob and removed choke lever and cable
7) Safety wire hand grips

The dealer had re-jetted the bike and set the needle to maximum lean adjustment based on advice from the distributor (I think). During the initial test ride the bike felt "peaky" and would not transition smoothly into the power band. I determined that the mid-range was set too lean and when the needle clip was moved to the middle position the engine performed better with a smoother power delivery. Now the engine rev's quickly and produces very good power. I wouldn't call this engine "smooth" compared to my KTM. There is a noticeable "hit" when you're on the pipe and the motor rev's quickly, more like an MX bike. I like this type of motor a lot and I never found myself wanting or needing more power. There is a slight vibration buzz in the handlebars but overall the engine feels tight. I had no trouble kick starting the engine (my bike is a 6 Days version, so no E-start).

Conditions were wet and even with the stock enduro tires the bike felt glued to the trail in the sandy and muddy areas. The suspension initially felt a little stiff but after some miles on the bike I realized it isn't too harsh on the small stuff and can absorb the big jumps easily. On small bumps the bike just skips across them in perfect control if you stay on the gas even a little bit. The more aggressively you ride the better the suspension feels. If you sit down a lot the suspension will feel too stiff, but there really isn't a good suspension set up on any bike for guys who prefer to sit down (IMO).

The steering is quick and the front end stays planted and doesn't push through the turns like my KTM. A steering damper will help for high speed straights, but I didn't feel it was necessary during this first ride at Hollister. Of course, the Gas Gas is lighter than my KTM 450, but it also feels 10 times more agile. It is certainly less fatiguing to ride. I put 35 miles on it this first day and it was the most fun I've had on a bike in many years.

When I bought the Gas Gas 300 I thought it would have a very linear power delivery and good low speed handling, basically a better trail bike than a KTM. What the bike seems to be is more like a motocross bike that is tuned to be the ultimate trail bike and likes to be ridden aggressively, but it is still very manageable when ridden poorly. This is not what I expected, but I found that I like this more than what I originally had hoped the Gas Gas would be. Of course, these are only my opinions and I'm not a professional rider. I'm curious if others out there might agree with me that the 2011 Gas Gas 300 is really a somewhat fast revving race bike with a noticeable power band and a suspension that likes aggressive riding. It isn't necessarily a sedate, smooth power delivery, trail bike, it's more like an MX bike tuned for the woods. Any thoughts?

Steve

Attachments

• GG_15.jpg
    GG_15.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 92
  • GG_16.jpg
    GG_16.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Great write up, and welcome to the clan!

Based on my time on a 300 last year I would say your observations regarding the power characteristics are spot-on. If you want smoooooth, shift up a gear or two and lug it (or add a slow throttle cam) and switch to the rain mode on the ignition map switch. If you want barky and fast, keep it in 'sun mode' and twist the throttle.

Interesting observation on the tires - they seemed to work for you where other riders in other parts of the country hate them. Maybe we could work out a swapping program :eek:

Glad you like the bike, even though (or maybe because) it isn't what you thought it would be.

I think you find the engine characteristics can be changed a bit by varying the jetting, but from your description my EC300 Euro (Limited Run of race ready delivered to Aus 2010) sounds very similar. Everything from the mid range punch to teh suspension working better the harder you push it.

As stated, the wet curve on the ignition takes the snap right out of the mid range.

One of these months I'll do a swapsy with a ktm to compare.

As GMP said, jetting takes care of that. My 300 is super smooth and rev's effortlessly. My KTM 300 is smooth too but the GG rev's a lot better and produces the power differently. I actually prefer it over my KTM 300, even though I truely love my KTM. I really can't feel a significant hit on my GG, which I don't want in a 300. Try different jetting specs, mainly needles, and see what happens.

For me, I found the suspension worked OK at medium speed but when I raced it, it was not up to par. I have had to spend a lot of time working the forks over and they are now pretty decent. However, my pistons were not drilled out correctly and therefore the fluid did not flow correctly. If you look in the suspension forum you will see that several have mentioned the fork issues.

Last edited:
As GMP said, jetting takes care of that. My 300 is super smooth and rev's effortlessly. My KTM 300 is smooth too but the GG rev's a lot better and produces the power differently. I actually prefer it over my KTM 300, even though I truely love my KTM. I really can't feel a significant hit on my GG, which I don't want in a 300. Try different jetting specs, mainly needles, and see what happens.

For me, I found the suspension just flat sucked. It worked OK at medium speed but when I raced it, it was horrible. I have had to spend a lot of time working the forks over and they are now pretty decent. However, my pistons were not drilled out correctly and therefore the fluid did not flow correctly. If you look in the suspension forum you will see that several have mentioned the fork issues.

I believe the SixDays may run different valving specs in their forks. I know the Sachs units on my 2010 are valved differently to the Base model EC300, The SixDays, and the Race models. Mine have worked wonderfully over a variety of terrain and keep getting better the more I fine tune the clickers.

Nice write up.

If I could ask what mix ratio are you running? I cannot run mine on anything but the top clip with the stock needle (N1EF), and that is with 50:1. The dealer had set it at the #2 clip position and it was way too rich in the mid. I'm not convinced the top clip is as good as it can be and have some other needles to test out soon.

Very good write up. My 2010 motor felt as you described your's until I changed to the CCK needle. Now it has no hit (that I can feel), just smooth broad power and lots of it. Your tires and suspension are also different than mine so I can't compare them with yours other than the tires for the 2010 not so good. I finally got a chance to ride a KTM 300 a while back (2009) and I agree the GG easily out handled/turned that bike. Glad you are liking your GasGas and in my short time with mine it only gets better after the break in. Mrkartoom get a CCK needle and try jetting with that; worked like a champ for me.

Very good write up. My 2010 motor felt as you described your's until I changed to the CCK needle. Now it has no hit (that I can feel), just smooth broad power and lots of it. Your tires and suspension are also different than mine so I can't compare them with yours other than the tires for the 2010 not so good. I finally got a chance to ride a KTM 300 a while back (2009) and I agree the GG easily out handled/turned that bike. Glad you are liking your GasGas and in my short time with mine it only gets better after the break in. Mrkartoom get a CCK needle and try jetting with that; worked like a champ for me.
On my wish list. Where did you get yours? My KTM/Yamaha/. . . guy could not cross-reference it.

edit: just ordered one from GoFasters . . .back to topic :D

I just rode mine for the first time today (11 EC300) and the jetting didn't seem to be too bad. A little on the rich side but ran fairly clean throught the RPM range. I'm not that impressed with the suspension so far, I'm a A level 215lb rider and I didn't use the bottom 3" of stroke on the forks. Keeping in mind that it is new suspension and will break in with time. Bike handles quite well, turns excellent and the motor is thrilling. This thing had all kinds of off idle torque. Jetting is still stock, I've ordered a CCK needle to try out and see if I can clean it up a little. Sure likes the gas though.

Maybe they have some kind of fancy break-in ignition curves on them. I know some of the newer Snowmobiles are utilizing a rich mixture for the first 5-10 hrs and then they seem to smooth out. I kind of doubt it though.

My 300 got pretty bad mileage at first as well. It is mucho better now. I think it took a good solid 300 miles before it really changed. At first I would get about 13-14 mpg and in the same area my best was 23. I can count on 17 for race pace.

My 300 got pretty bad mileage at first as well. It is mucho better now. I think it took a good solid 300 miles before it really changed. At first I would get about 13-14 mpg and in the same area my best was 23. I can count on 17 for race pace.
My 07 300 got 23mpg as well when easy trail riding. The gas mileage went down when I installed a CCK needle then went back up after Ron Black did his magic on my carb and head. I suspect my trail mileage is about 25 per gallon now. I have gotten as high as 33mpg but that included a lot of 6th gear cruising at high altitudes in Colorado.

At first I was pretty concerned about the mileage issue. However, I could get 100 miles on 3 gallons on my KTM 300 in the woods in Idaho. In the desert and racing, like I am right now, I could only get 50. My gg seems to be getting better mileage in the same circumstances so far than the KTM. I know this is not proven but I am thinking my gg will be really close to my KTM for trail riding MPG. I will be super pumped if that is the case. Indications point to 60-70 mile desert rides and 80-100 woods without packing gas on a 3 gallon tank.

A girls first ride on 2011 ec300 e-start set up for me

So i thought i would tack this on to your thread since there are a lot of first ride threads.Please do not be offended!
2011 ec300 e-start to begin with
Added:
*suspension done by Single Track Mind,
Forks-stage 1 magic service,re-valve for my weight(160) and riding style ( female,moderate/fast trail riding in colorado high country),lower forks 2 inches using internal spacer,new fluid.Shock-revalve as for fork ,lower 2 inches using spacer.
*124mm lowering link( yes, i'm nearly a midget)
*Moose contour handguards with EE plastic deflectors.
*Scorpian aluminum skidplate
*Scorpian radiator cages
*Moose aluminum pipe gaurd
*Trail tech Vapor computer
*Gas Gas underfender/license plate holder, chopped at the line
*Gas Gas Tail light- very expensive and very nice
* moved the bars to the farthest back position
*Economy horn
* Gas Gas white radiator shrouds- just like white bikes
*State of Colorado registration and license plate $$:D:D:eek: but necessary in CO for high country trail to trail riding.
4/3/11
I got to ride my bike in nebraska at the site of the 2010 RMEC enduro of the year- Harrisberg/Kimball enduro enduro site. A garden of eden for a die hard trail rider- mostly single track through canyons&meadows. It was about 40 degrees with light snow and little wind. My big problem was the fact that i tore several pieces of my rotator cuff 6 weeks before and i had to really make a concious effort to ride in a restrained fashion:(. My husband was nice enough to ride with me instead of going with the rest of our group- Thanks Neal!
I had ridden the bike on the street a little bit but this was the first time on real dirtbike terrain.The e-start got it going in one button push- color me surprised! My KLX450 took forever to start! I was immediatly impressed with the smoothness and power of the engine,The front wheel just wanted to hover in the air but i coaxed it down.The seat to peg distance is good for me and standing with the stock bars is exacly what i am comfortable with-i usually stand about 75% of the time.I found out quickly that i would need to sit for this ride, my shoulder was having nothing to do with standing!The seat is hard but actually quite comfortable,not as cushy as the KLX450 but not as hard as my husbands old KTM EXC200 - just right goldilocks!
We dropped into a canyon which has single-track threaded through it, not super technical but attention getting with some steep ascents and descents, and tight turns. The 300 is the best steering machine i've ever been on! All i had to do was think about the turn- practically no effort to keep it on track, my shoulder was thanking me for this bike! The climbing ability is spectacular too, that thing just motors up with little slippage-trials bike heritage very apparent here!( i should know we have a GG trials bike and a Pampera).I really like the Metzler tires- they did everything very well- i will keep them on until they are worn out( usually i replace the rear with a Pirelli DOT Trials tire).
I rode in the "rain " mode- a good choice since the snow became pretty thick, I found that this setting was just fine- i liked the throttle response and power delivery. The power seems endless- i was never wanting for more and the bike did not tire me out like my KLX450 would have. It feels light, steers light,turns like a mountain bike.We rode an easy winding section of trail about a dozen times in a row so i could concentrate on how the bike was handling,with the snow we had a good section of mud trail going, the handling in the slick stuff was superb- the easy to control power kept me from doing a lot of useless tire spinning- but still let me break free enough to throw big wads of mud at my husband who was following me!
We headed back to the truck and went through a rolling meadow, i was able to open the bike up and see how it handled at higher speed. It is very stable at speed- i did not feel the need for a steering stabilizer but i was taking it easy. The re-valve job made hitting ruts and holes no problem Thanks Dave! Got back to the truck with no additional damage to the shoulder- didn't even tweak it! I spent a lot of time talking about how much i loved the bike and how this might be my perfect bike- Hubby had to ride it, he liked it but having the suspension done for me kind of wrecked it for him- he really appreciated the power and light feel of the front end though. I am looking forward to getting to ride this bike when i am at 100% It is crazy fun !

Mudwasp, no problem posting here, but now I will return the favor!

I had a long days ride in the Mojave desert last weekend (Jawbone Canyon) and was able to put the 2011 300 6-days through some tough tests. I had to re-jet for the higher altitude and I installed new tires (Bridgestones with heavy duty tubes). I also installed the Pro Taper YZ footpegs and an extended Hammerhead shift lever.

The bike performed flawlessly and had more than enough power for the gigantic hill climbs. There was a lot of technical single track riding that I usually lack the technique to do well on, but I did much better on this bike than any of my other bikes in the past. The suspension may be too stiff for me (I'm still undecided on this) but the motor and lightweight handling are perfect. I'm concerned about the gas mileage and I'm experimenting with new jets and re-routing of the float bowl overflow tube to limit the loss when the bike is tilted.

I've since ordered a steering damper and am still waiting for my P3 pipe guard which is now 3 weeks late. I'm holding off on a larger tank until I'm sure I can get one that fits.

Here's a couple photos, including one of me falling down at the end of a long day. I could really use that pipe guard!
Steve

Attachments

• Steve_Hillclimb2.jpg
    Steve_Hillclimb2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 65
  • JB_7.jpg
    JB_7.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 61
Mudwasp, have you tried the CCK carb needle from Sudco.com ?
I rode my GG last weekend after a Winter's layoff, with (1/2 race gas
and a 32:1 mix) and was in heaven with the bike, I'd forgotten just how
much I like it. :)

Jeff in Tahoe

Back