2012 -- Bent Kickstand Bolt AGAIN

grease action and generously red Loctite it with the bolt TIGHT,until it makes action quite stiff.try not to Loctite stand to bolt!.solves the auto retract as a bonus and u will notice if it comes loose straight away!mine came loose 3x when loctited with free action.no probs in last 30hrs with bolt tight.the action has loosened a little but bolt remains tight so far.its the difference between depending entirely on the Loctite to hold,or having the bolt tight,and loctd.my stand is used often too,as have a lot of farmgates and I rarely use the rubber loop.its worth a try and may mean u don't have to get the welder and angle grinder out!IMO the shoulder bolt is the next best option if this fails,as you can get the bolt tight without binding action and its thicker diameter will be less likely to bend.the ultimate fix is to weld a flange on outside to support a shoulder bolt,dont know about u all though but the thought of taking the welder/grinder to my baby makes me feel a little sick!still find myself checking it every ride though...shifty wee bstard!

Last edited:
well the inevitable happened.stand has been working freely,bolt was still tight since nipped up with loctite @20hrs but it snapped anyway!frankly im surprised it hadnt happened sooner.for the record i carefully got 95hrs out of the original bolt,which was a good deal more than i expected!
think il try and drill spacer out and fit a stepped bolt unless there is now an aftermarket option?

after resisting the urge to apply 550f to release red loctite and destroying all paint/plastics in the vicinity,i soaked in wd40 overnight.then drilled 4mm right thru bolt thread.next i raided the lovely ones pantry and snuck the 'creme brulee' butane torch out to the garage and aimed it in the hole...got pretty hot but not hot enough...broke ezy out no1..(had drilled all the way thru so could tap broken tip out from back)
drilled out to 5mm,repeat wd40/brulee method.ezout came up tight,tighter,snap!
after much handwringing interspersed with some choice expletives i opted for a 'clevis' bolt right through.
drilled lug completely out to 8mm(stand spacer inner dia.)
found an 8mm hex bolt with enough unthreaded shaft to go thru both lug and almost thru stand.
because there is not enough space for a normal nut inside the lug(clearance to chain),i took the hex bolt and cut half the head thickness off with a cutting disc so i could insert bolt from the inside to out and slightly domed the head on the bench grinder.
an unfortunate side effect of this was the hex in bolthead got cutoff,so i sawed a small flat slot across the top for a screwdriver.
in the absence of a 12mm nylok i temporarily used the old school method of locking two nuts together tight(very effective)locking position with just a little tension on the assembly,but this gets a little close to fouling boot and would be better with a single nut.washer both sides of stand
i would have liked to save the thread in the lug but the end result is reasonable(once the 2nd nut is gone)
upside is 8mm smooth bolt rightthrough instead of the threaded stock(effectively 6mm shaft).also the steel bush in the stand no longer pivots on the thread.
downside is ugly nut on outside/juts out more,may get sloppy,but an outer tab could still be added(maybe a c clip/clevis pin for low profile)

Attachments

• kickstand1.jpg
    kickstand1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 45
  • kickstand3.jpg
    kickstand3.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 44
  • kickstand4.jpg
    kickstand4.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 50
I have over 100 hours on my stock kickstand setup and haven't really had a problem. The bike did fall over once in soft soil on the kickstand and bent the bolt a little but it has been fine otherwise. I do have a plastic foot on the bottom of the kickstand so the bike sits a little more upright and has a greater surface area to not fall again hopefully. Other than that, I use my kickstand quite a bit on the trails. In the garage I use a bike stand. Maybe the difference is the bigger kickstand foot?

I haven't broken the bolt on my 12's yet, but my plan is to upgrade to the larger 14/15 kick stand bolt. Would just require drill and tap frame lug to install.

There is very little spare thickness in the steel sleeve insert of stand to drill out.this limits how big a bolt will fit.
Believe me,if I could have saved thread I would have!
With the original thread the only way to strengthen would be a shoulder bolt (or weld outer flange),however the steel insert would be paperthin after drilling to suit.you would need the later stand leg also I think,with larger dia insert
Lots of gates around here,the stand gets plenty of use!

Got ya, so I also need a larger press fit bushing to mod the stand for the larger bolt. Easy enough to do. good to know.

1 other minor detail-the outer washer sits in recess in stand leg.had to drill 8mm hole thru a washer small enough to fit...if you choose to fit one

I have over 100 hours on my stock kickstand setup and haven't really had a problem. The bike did fall over once in soft soil on the kickstand and bent the bolt a little but it has been fine otherwise. I do have a plastic foot on the bottom of the kickstand so the bike sits a little more upright and has a greater surface area to not fall again hopefully. Other than that, I use my kickstand quite a bit on the trails. In the garage I use a bike stand. Maybe the difference is the bigger kickstand foot?

Me too! I took it off and put it in the spares box.

It is a pain having to look for a tree or rut all the time, but really it's not that bad. Worst case I turn the fuel off and lay it over for a rest.

Too many gates,got to have it!in the tight i will lay it down running sometimes to clear a branch.will idle for a bit on a pretty decent angle.makes me wonder if float level can be ballparked by the angle at which fuel starts to overflow?

Understood too! OK if you have someone else to hold your bike, or even better open the gate for you!

I ran mine up to 65hrs or so and only removed it for a natural terrain mx day and never put it back on.

I never touched mine from stock, but did have the mounts sheer off on my 2010 model. I think a lot of the issues can stem from an aggressive recoil. I never let mine flick up under the spring. Same can be said for forcibly trying to jam it onto the side stand, using it as a kick stand, or even using it to pivot the bike up. All are outside of the scope of design.

Euro rules are weird!by law the stand has to auto retract but its ok for the stand to snap off.makes me wonder if in the streets of barcelona theres a heap of gassers lying on the footpath outside the coffee shops!
Even more bizarre is that no one makes an aftermarket version.surely thats an opportunity gone begging?

Nice to know not the only one to have problems with side stand. Ended up reaming out the pivot point to 12mm and making a revers top hat bush out out of en24 steel. Found mild steel to soft, so far had no problems, use it as a kick stand.

My 2010 stand has never given me any issues but that is because i took note of the issues mentioned on this forum and never let it snap back, always guided it back with my boot

There is a fix on the home page of the forum but I never did it

I broke the bolt on mine PUTTING IT DOWN. It felt like a broke a wet noodle... Zero effort at all and fell off. I had previously been careful putting it up, and don't recall ever just letting it fly.

I tried to back the bolt out with drill bolt removal tool, and managed instead to waller out the bolt hole a bit. Bolt is still there. :(

Anybody got any advice? I'll post a pic in a bit.

Been over a year with no Kickstand, and I hate it.

I broke the bolt on mine PUTTING IT DOWN. It felt like a broke a wet noodle... Zero effort at all and fell off. I had previously been careful putting it up, and don't recall ever just letting it fly.

I tried to back the bolt out with drill bolt removal tool, and managed instead to waller out the bolt hole a bit. Bolt is still there. :(

Anybody got any advice? I'll post a pic in a bit.

Been over a year with no Kickstand, and I hate it.
Got to drill it out. If thread is to damaged you can helicoil it Back to original, or drill it out and tap to M10.

If the new heads over at GasGas could crank out a $.50 bolt that was linked awhile back we'd rejoice in mass!

Go back a page or two and theres pics of my fix.i had to drill old bolt out and manufacture a bolt.works ok,but i will say that getting an outer flange welded and running the bolt thru as an 'axle' would be far better.i just wasnt inclined to strip back to chassis for welding at the time.if you drill out its important to get hole alignment close.mine is not quite true to the original hole and stand contacts lower edge of plastic sidecover when retracting.minor but annoying as it marks the plastic if i forget to guide it just inside with my foot

My sidestand just took a 7.4shake without toppling over in the garage!
I retract all former criticism!

I bought my 07 6 months ago & its never had a side stand, it drives me nuts when theres nothing to lean it against & I found it unusual that it was removed. Its on my "to do" list but after reading this thread Im thinking I might be better of using the money else where.

Back