2018 XC300 No Spark

Islander

Hey all,

I went out for a ride yesterday, unloaded the bike and fired it up. it ran for about 30 seconds and died like someone had pressed the kill switch.

I was not able to get it running so i took it home and tore it apart. Upon checking everything, i have discovered it has no spark.

I disconnected the killswitch to rule that out, changed the sparkplug, made sure it was firmly in the sparkplug wire. I am not sure where else to start, i am mechanically inclined but not the best with electrical.

Had someone tell me that the stator might be failed, but i dont have a multimeter to check it, or know what exactly im checking for.

Any suggestions would be great, i was thinking about just replacing the stator and the coil.

Appreciate it.

I have heard of the CDI module failing.
Is the another GasGas there you can swap parts with?

Before throwing parts darts, you can a pretty cheap multimeter and at least check some resistance readings. They are listed in the manuals that gasgas has online. If you get a meter we can pretty much walk you through the tests

As above do not go throwing parts at it. Test it first, there has been confirmed reports of sheared ignition rotor keys stemming from loose rotor bolts and will kill the spark.

Hey guys. thanks for the information.

I'm going to have a look at it when I get home and have someone help me check some of the electrical. Parts have been a tad tough to find right now due to whats happening with GASGAS.

Just been out done @ 7 miles bike ran fine stopped for 5 mins and it struggled to restart cranks no problem back fired a couple of times eventually started but ran poorly managed to get within 1/2 a mile of the van and that was it no more the spark is missing bikes only done 20 hrs.

Just been out done @ 7 miles bike ran fine stopped for 5 mins and it struggled to restart cranks no problem back fired a couple of times eventually started but ran poorly managed to get within 1/2 a mile of the van and that was it no more the spark is missing bikes only done 20 hrs.

2 things come to mind

key way on the flywheel sheered making your timing off ( history of this )

CDI is bad (also history of this)

Thanks for the reply I think if the key way had sheared I would still have spark I?ve borrowed a vid of my pals bike will let you know tomorrow how I get on.

Thanks for the reply I think if the key way had sheared I would still have spark I?ve borrowed a vid of my pals bike will let you know tomorrow how I get on.

If the key sheared it would not spark. That is what locks the flywheel to the shaft. If the flywheel doesn't spin no electricity is generated to make a spark.

If the key sheared it would not spark. That is what locks the flywheel to the shaft. If the flywheel doesn't spin no electricity is generated to make a spark.

it's not because the key broke, that the flywheel doesn't spin anymore.
it does spin, and gives a spark, just not at the correct timing.
you could even tighten the flywheel to its axle without a key (in the correct position as with a key) and it would run, just would get out of whack if you'd run it hard, fast revs and hard engine braking would make it turn on the axle and so causing a wrong timing.

Replaced the cdi today and the bike runs fine to double check I put the old cdi back on and no spark spoke to John Shirt today at what was GASGAS uk and he said he?s not had many fail on the enduro bikes but a fair few on the trial bikes.
He said it?s not only a GASGAS problem as beta and sherco have the same issue he thinks it?s possibly a vibration issue so I?m going to fit the new one one a piece of foam.

Alright.. dropped it off at the mechanic, he didnt do anything because he said he couldnt find any specs to test things too.

Im back to working this out on my own...

I bought a multimeter, but thats about where my electrical abilities end.

How do we go about starting to test this beast?

Update:

I had the ignition coil off, utilizing my youtube skills i think i was able to determine that it works. I had the CDI off and i bent all the pins ever so slightly to make sure we had contact... also had the connectors right off the stator disconnected.

Threw it all back together, to my surprise it had a spark. It was really weak, but it was a spark.

Tried to start the bike it did the following:
Started and died like it would during a failed cold start
Started and ran for like 7 seconds, it was super rough and wouldnt rev, died very quickly
Started again, ran the same as the first time

Kicked it over a bunch more, nothing. Pull the plug off, check spark... no spark again.

This certainly doesnt tell me anything, maybe one of you smarter people can chime in.

Im a little frantic since my riding season is super short and ive already missed 3 weeks of it.

Thanks guys!

That?s exactly how mine ran before it packed up set your multi meter to ohms the red and blue wires to the stator are @14.5 ohms and I think it?s the black/yellow and yellow/green are @ 99.5 ohms if either are open circuit then it?s faulty but chances are the cdi has failed like mine did.

Thanks for the info.

The red & blue test just as you say they should. The rest of my wires don't quite match up the same as what you described.

Attached is a picture of the harness coming off the stator.

I've called around and no one even seems to know what specs this stator should be tested too.

Attachments

• 20200724_132202.jpg
    20200724_132202.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 100
The 2 remaining wires in the 4 pin plug are for the pickup they should test 99.5 if the meter is showing open circuit that?s your fault the other 2 pin plug is for charging the battery and lights.

Back